Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Anyone have MOJO rear sights

In response to your PM... here is a thread I started some time ago....

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/828...tmas-gift.html

I don't have any close up pics of just the TechSite... I will try to get some this weekend.

Hope this helps..
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Allegheny County)

I shoot NRA High Power (Service Rifle). Peeps are the cats meow of iron sights and are very accurate out to 600 yards. In my experience, if the shooter, rifle, and ammo does their job, peeps are capable of permitting 2 MOA groups.

As for the Mojo's. I had a set on a M-44 (carbine version of the Mosin). They are (IMHO) just kind of OK. The installation was a snap, the Windage and elevation adjustments are not as fine as I like but will suffice.

The biggest issue (to me) is the alignment of the rear aperture. Since it's a short tube you look through and not just a hole, and it is attached to a arm that pivots approx an inch in front of the aperture, the further you elevate it, the more the aperture tilts and more of the interior sides of the aperture you'll see. This may or may not be an issue, depending on if you used peep sights before.

BTW, they offer at least two aperature sizes the stock one was a bit large for me, but would probably work well for an AK at 100 yards or less on a mansize target.
    Last edited by Hawk; October 28th, 2010 at 01:57 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    IMO for anything over 50yrds you give up too much with a peep.
    If you can't see the blade sights, you don't give up a thing.

(Cambria County)

OK, I'm a bit confused here.

How can looking at a post threw a round object be a better sight picture than lining it up between a rear sight where I can balance it between the two and up and down. Sorry, this don't make sense to me. What am I missing?

And what makes the MOJO a bad sight if the peep is suppose to be so good.

Appreciate the imput guys. This one has me confused.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm

I guess that the Tech Sight is also a peep sight. But will moving it back on my AK to the end like this one mounts up, would this really make that much of a difference?

Is this the kind of Peep Sight that I would want to use or is there something wrong with this set up too.

Keep that info coming boys and girls. I'm getting smarter, I really am.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; October 28th, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post

How can looking at a post threw a round object be a better sight picture than lining it up between a rear sight where I can balance it between the two and up and down. Sorry, this don't make sense to me. What am I missing?

Your not missing a thing, just getting a lot of off topic answers.

Pinhole peeps on a garand? Schweet!

Pinhole peeps on an AK?

Most of the peeps for the AK's have a .150-.200 aperature which is meant for QCB distances and at this they are very quick but less accurate. At anything over 40-50yrds its like looking at a needle through a bagel hole.

Theres too much air around the front pin to get it centered worth a damn and if you do get one of the smaller ones it gives a better sight picture but you loose to much of the surrounding picture.

A lot of people like the Krebs, mojo and whatnot on their AK. Some people think the AK is a worthless POS. Thats what you get with opinions.

From my experience you turn a 3MOA gun into a 5MOA gun, but some people swear by them.

(Allegheny County)

Well, let me explain a bit. With a leaf rear sight, you have to center the front blade between the rear sight "notch" and you have to make sure the top of the front blade is level with the top of the rear sight "notch". If you're off just a hair, your shot will be off. Secondly, light can cause a graying effect on the rear sight that can make it difficult to define the edges of the sights. Plus, it's impossible to focus on both the rear and front sight at the same time to make sure they line up perfectly. Of course I don't know of anyone who tries to do that. It's SOP to focus only on the front sight and leave the back sight fuzzy.

Now with a rear peep, you typically don't have to worry about lining up the front sight with the rear one as much. This is because your eye will naturally center the top of the front post in the middle of the rear aperture. This way all you have to do is forget about the rear sight and just focus on the front sight. Also, light (for the most part) won't affect the rear peep. An additional benefit of peep sights is that they act like the aperture of a camera that increases the depth of field, in other words more objects (regardless of distance from you eye) are brought into focus.

http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm

I guess that the Tech Sight is also a peep sight. But will moving it back on my AK to the end like this one mounts up, would this really make that much of a difference?

Is this the kind of Peep Sight that I would want to use or is there something wrong with this set up too.

Keep that info coming boys and girls. I'm getting smarter, I really am.
    I've seen similar before, I like that it puts the aperture close to your eye like it should be and it gives you two sizes of "flip" apertures to utilize.
    Last edited by Hawk; October 29th, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Your not missing a thing, just getting a lot of off topic answers.

Pinhole peeps on a garand? Schweet!

Pinhole peeps on an AK?

Most of the peeps for the AK's have a .150-.200 aperature which is meant for QCB distances and at this they are very quick but less accurate. At anything over 40-50yrds its like looking at a needle through a bagel hole.

Theres too much air around the front pin to get it centered worth a damn and if you do get one of the smaller ones it gives a better sight picture but you loose to much of the surrounding picture.

A lot of people like the Krebs, mojo and whatnot on their AK. Some people think the AK is a worthless POS. Thats what you get with opinions.

From my experience you turn a 3MOA gun into a 5MOA gun, but some people swear by them.

I'm not an AK guy. I have shot them a few times tying to convince myself to buy one. Anyways, from that small experience, I'd have to agree that it may or may not be beneficial to replace the factory sights with peeps. I guess it really depends on what you want the rifle to do. It will never be a precision target rifle. Now if you just want quick mansize target acquisition at close range, then a peep might be beneficial. IMHO, the rear mounted peep (tech-sights) would do a much better job of this. This however depends on if looking through those sights changes your cheek weld. I'm thinking it might, and you will need to adjust to a new cheek to stock position.
    Last edited by Hawk; October 29th, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12