Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Open Carry Day at Cabela's

Good day my fellow Open Carriers of firearms. I open carry as often as I can when in Pennsylvania but lord knows, being stationed in Maryland doesn't lend to the true exercise of rights. Carrying on, I got married this past September 2010. Now, the wife is about as pro-gun, pro-kick ass as you can get. Has had her nose broke twice in fights etc...you get the idea...a good solid, horse riding, cow chasing, gun shootin, ass kickin, no shit kinda gal.
    No, she is not from FARYLAND nor does she live here. She's an Arizona native and still resides there. This past week was her fist time to PA and loved it. Had no idea how rural PA is etc...So, during our jount across the state, we stopped at Cabela's in Hamburg. I told her its one of my most favorite places to OC because there are so many people from NON-FREE states who come to shop and then stare and whisper about OCing a pistol. I carry a Springfield Custom Loaded in SS 1911 .45acp w/Remington Golden Sabers. The holster is a Safariland ALS double retention, black in color with some nifty shinny exterior dealie...love the combo.

Anyway, in the two and one half hours of being in Cabela's, I couldn't count the number of people who stared, pointed, whispered, or otherwise commented in private that I was OCing. My wife thought it was hilarious that so many people were interested and whispering like school kids. Not one person spoke to me directly or asked any questions. The wife being from AZ, OCing is highly accepted and seen often. No big deal type thing.

This morning, I drop her off at BWI to fly back to Arizona. First time she ever flew with a firearm, an LCP as a present . I explained to her how easy and simple it would be and that if there was an anti gunner near when she declared the firearm, watch for the jaw drop and eye roll...LOL

So, after she clears security, she calls me and is laughing. Now, I'm tooling along driving home and I answer the phone and all I hear is her laughing. I'm like why are you laughing so hard? She gains her composure and gets out, Rosey O'Donnel look alike freaked when she declared the pistol. Couldn't understand how anyone could check a firearm in checked baggage. Why would a woman want to carry a gun? and other questions. Apparently, my wife displayed her warm, loving, personality lost her patience with the O'Donnell look alike while trying to be polite and explain "THINGS" to her but upon realizing she was speaking to a bobble head, cut it short, said a few well chosen choice words, and left to clear security. Yup, thats my gal!

Also, Saturday morning, we went to a hunting preserve in York County for a pheasant hunt. I know preserves have a bad rap but this place is not for the faint of heart. All the birds were extremely cagey. They ran, flushed out of range, took to dense cover in wooded/stone wind break, and generally, acted just like a wild bird. Hell of a good time. Have hunted there for 11 years now and highly recommned it to anyone. www.Gentryfarms.com

Yup, the wife love's PA. Of course I only introduced her to my BESTEST Friends LOL and liked them ton's too.

This is CL signing off.

PS. Spelling and grammer are the result of multiple factors, like it or leave it.
    Last edited by customloaded; October 25th, 2010 at 11:44 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Open Carry Day at Cabela's

looks like you caught a good one have a happy life
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Northampton County)

Yeah, great to hear. Is she the one that got your dog killed? If so, sounds like you paid her back

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Yeah, great to hear. Is she the one that got your dog killed? If so, sounds like you paid her back
    No Sir, this gal is not the one whom I stayed with last year playing cowboy and her cattle dogs killed my Solid Black German Short Haired Pointer...
    We still keep in touch though!!! She's got a beautiful Mare I like!!!
    CL

(Northampton County)

Well, I'm glad you found a keeper. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

(Berks County)

Nice man, I still gota hook up with ya and get on one of them horses!

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Nice man, I still gota hook up with ya and get on one of them horses!
    Better hurry my friend, they're heading out of State in December...PS. One horse and one mule!!! LOL

CL