Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help!

(Armstrong County)

Default Need some help!

I recently bought a used Smith and Wesson 422. I believe the gun should stay open on the last shot, but mine does not. Is this a problem with the magazines or the gun? Also, since there is no decocker, would dry firing hurt the gun?

(Butler County)

Default Re: Need some help!

Hard to say without seeing the gun but it's probably a magazine issue. I just got a Kimber that was doing the same thing with the magazine that came with it. I switched over to some Tripp's mags and it ran fine.
    Opinions vary on dry firing, for the cost of snap caps I'd say just grab some.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Havoc View Post
    Hard to say without seeing the gun but it's probably a magazine issue. I just got a Kimber that was doing the same thing with the magazine that came with it. I switched over to some Tripp's mags and it ran fine.
    Opinions vary on dry firing, for the cost of snap caps I'd say just grab some.
    Do you load a snap cap in your magazine first, then the rest with ammo?

(Butler County)

No, I NEVER let ammo come anywhere near me when I dry fire. In fact, I don't even load the snap cap into a magazine. I slide the snap cap into the chamber, drop the slide and then dry fire, manually cocking the pistol each time using the hammer.

It's WAY too easy to have a nice peaceful dry firing session turn into a ND if you aren't careful.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Havoc View Post
    In fact, I don't even load the snap cap into a magazine. I slide the snap cap into the chamber, drop the slide and then dry fire, manually cocking the pistol each time using the hammer.
    I'm not familiar with the Smith in question, but in some semiautos loading like that can damage the extractor.

Edited to add: but of course, you NEVER want live ammo in the room with you when dry firing.

its a bad idea to dry fire a .22. the firing pin can hit of the edge of the chamber and will gradually peen the edge down. this will make it hard to insert a cartridge. you can use an EMPTY .22 case to dry fire with no problems.

(Indiana County)

The gun should stay locked back after the last round is fired. Try another magazine and be sure the magazine is not for a model 41 as they will "work" but can cause problems due to not having the correct type of catch.

The 422 can be decocked by dryfiring as the manual states, I would not make it a common practice of sitting on the couch dry firing it, just to decock it for storage.

From the manual: (I'm paraphrasing)

remove the magazine
    Be sure the gun is unloaded
    with the magazine still removed, pull the slide fully to the rear and allow it to go fully foward, gun is now "cocked"
    insert an empty magazine
    point in a safe direction, safety on fire and fully depress trigger
    gun is now decocked

Here is an online manual:
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/s&w_rimfire_pistols.pdf
    (please give the guy a small donation if you download and print out the manual, it has to be worth something to you to have a manual, I don't know the guy, but he has to have put some serious time in scanning all those manuals)

(Cumberland County)

Good advice above. Try another mag, one you are sure is gun specific. If that doesn't work it'll be time to look elsewhere.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Northampton County)

Can't speak to the particular pistol you are using, but for a Glock, a weak magazine spring would produce the results that you are seeing.
    Certified Glock Armorer; Member GSSF, NRA

(York County)

Many .22's require there to be a follower specific to the magazine to keep the magazine open after the last shot, and once the magazine is dropped the slide to go forward. Does your gun have a slide release lever/switch/button?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast