Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Conceal Carry in Car

Am I reading this right?

(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
    (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

I haven't yet sent off my papers for my LTCF in PA though I did try to go down to the norristown court house and get it and they said they didn't issue to non-residents. I have my conceal carry for SC, does this mean I'm fine to carry in my car even though I do not have reciprocity with PA? thats what it looks like to me.

well its funny but don't worry about responding this thread can be deleted I found the answer I was looking for in the very next thread I looked in.
    Last edited by RedWabbit; October 24th, 2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: found answer in the next thread I opened

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Conceal Carry in Car

No you are not!

"The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109."

Many states do not honor the PA LTCF because we do not have a mandatory training requirement.

Therefore you could have a permit from say NJ that will not be honored in PA becasue NJ does not honor ours.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    No you are not!

"The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109."

Many states do not honor the PA LTCF because we do not have a mandatory training requirement.

Therefore you could have a permit from say NJ that will not be honored in PA becasue NJ does not honor ours.
    actually, the OP is correct. since SC is not reciprocal with us, he can not carry CONCEALED with his current license. HOWEVER, the statute allows that ANYONE with a license/permit from ANY state may carry a loaded weapon in their vehicle.

in other words, he can only OC when he's out and about, but he may carry his weapon in his car anyway, unlike an unlicensed person who would not be permitted to transport their weapon.

ETA: as others have stated, the OP cited the wrong subsection, i am referring to the correct one (11) when i write this
    Last edited by MischaBurns; October 24th, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Chester County)

Right conclusion (you can carry in your car) but wrong law citation:

18 Pa CSA 6106(b)(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    Pa-Joe had it correct for (15)'s interpretation but (11) is the one you want to cite for vehicular carry whereupon MischaBurns is correct.
    Last edited by tl_3237; October 24th, 2010 at 11:46 AM.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Right conclusion (you can carry in your car) but wrong law citation:

Pa-Joe had it correct for (15)'s interpretation but (11) is the one you want to cite for vehicular carry whereupon MischaBurns is correct.
    ah thankyou for clearing that up, I will remember that its (11) I want to cite and not (15). I was just so surprised when I started reading that I thought it was a strange thing to do, but I won't argue it, it at least allows me to carry in my car.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by RedWabbit View Post
    Am I reading this right?

(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
    (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

I haven't yet sent off my papers for my LTCF in PA though I did try to go down to the norristown court house and get it and they said they didn't issue to non-residents. I have my conceal carry for SC, does this mean I'm fine to carry in my car even though I do not have reciprocity with PA? thats what it looks like to me.

well its funny but don't worry about responding this thread can be deleted I found the answer I was looking for in the very next thread I looked in.
    That section you quoted, well... You forgot the "provided" part and it's two requirements. All in red above. That passage is for complete honoring of licenses of other states, not just in a vehicle which is covered elsewhere.

Others above have pointed out the correct passages that legalize car carry.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!