Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Dunham's II straw purchase

In a related note to the thread re; Dunhams policy...

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/shops-20/...tml#post133761

Be advised that they are super anal when they even suspect a straw purchase.

The wonderful wife was going to surprise me with a rifle as a b-day gift - she was flat out told that she could not buy me a rifle as a gift.
    She said fine, its for me - they told her No, you just said it was for your husband - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

I also witnessed this first hand when an old Granpap inquired about a .22 rifle for his grandson - he was told No, can't buy for your grandson. He said fine, its for me - and was told GO AWAY we can't sell you a rifle.

I dunno.

I know the phuck-bastard administrations of Bush I and Klinton changed the gun laws to suit the blowing of the human winds from the popular polls, but I had no idea they stretched the straw purchase laws from Philly-crack-ho to spouses/parents/grandparents/siblings.

Could be just Dunham's. next time I'm near a REAL FFL, I'll ask.

Meanwhile, if your plan on buying a family member a cheap rifle at Dunhams - keep that fact to yourself.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Dunham's II straw purchase

I saw the same thing happen at the Dunham's in Bridgeville when a couple in thier 50's tried to buy a rifle for the house. The wife told the clerk she was going to buy it for the husband. They were turned away right in front of me. Could this be a traveling ATF sting???
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Few yrs ago they had some law suits , I think one involved a gun used in a school and another involved a suicide , dunhams is rather gun shy about the whole thing , I suspect sooner or later they will stop selling guns all together

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    Few yrs ago they had some law suits , I think one involved a gun used in a school and another involved a suicide , dunhams is rather gun shy about the whole thing , I suspect sooner or later they will stop selling guns all together

You're prob right - I meant this more as an FYI post than a "complaint" about Dunhams.

They have decent sales on a regular basis and an acceptable selection - ya gotta admit; not many dealers actually stock the expensive Kahr 1927A semi-TSMG but Dunhams does.

As I understand kmart stopped selling , and walmarts to varying degrees stopped selling this or that depending on the paticular store location. That leaves us with Dicks and dunhams , not sure who else other than normal gun dealers
    What the antis don't gain by law can be gained by law suits filed by folks who feel their troubles and mistakes are other peoples fault

I am old enough should I say to recall Sears selling guns and ammo , imagine that

(Philadelphia County)

buying a gun as a gift isn't a straw purchase. If they don't want your money, fuck 'em.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    I am old enough should I say to recall Sears selling guns and ammo , imagine that
    When I was a kid you could order them out of the Sears catalog and have it mailed to your house.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Is that the DUnhams beside the Babies r' us or whatever???

Saw a TSMG1 there.. Priced OK.

I like our local Dunhams ....... "Guns for sale, 8-4PM Mon-fri Only"
    Most of their Ammos prices suck and once I awhile theyll have a deal on rifles.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    buying a gun as a gift isn't a straw purchase. If they don't want your money, fuck 'em.

I couldn't agree with you more. BIG STORES have big attorneys and big board of directors who make stupid decisions and policy. That is why I would rather spend my money at a local shop. I once threw 120 on the counter at Dunham's in Bridgeville and advised Beavis behind the counter that the K-31 with the Walnut stock that somehow was priced with the garbage stocked ones would be going home with me if it in fact had the "dog tag" under the buttplate. "Duuuuh, ummm, wellllllllll, ahhhhhhh, we are not permited to disassemble any firearms sir. You have to come back on Monday when the gunsmith is here" It was a Friday night, I was visiting friends in Bridgeville all the way from Erie. I told the guy to get a screw driver and remove the screws a quarter inch so I could peek. NOPE. That is bullshit. I wasn't asking the lad to remove the damn barrel........
    Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast