Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Lightbulb Alan Gura on Gun Rights Litigation Strategy

Now here you have something REALLY interesting. Mr Gura explains a lot of useful stuff for us to know about gun rights lawsuits and the road ahead, then explains something in a clear swipe at the NRA. Or at least telling them to stay on their side of the bar, so to speak. He's probably also thinking of Maloney. It's good for us to learn about what all is going into this process and how critical the litigation route is and what to expect. Perhaps it's useful for us as NRA members to communicate that we understand this as well.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Yellowfin; October 26th, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Alan Gura on Gun Rights Litigation Strategy

That was awesome!

First, let me say that I am an NRA member and think the NRA is a great organizations that is very effective in the Political Arena. Democrats fear them... that says a lot.

Second, Alan Gura is the Man! He has proven that he knows how to win cases. That says a lot!!!!
    So... please NRA, keep fighting those politicians on capital hill... but let Gura deal with the Supreme Court and any other courts he wants to.

(Montgomery County)

The NRA is not perfect - they have their faults. But they remain effective and so I consider it an obligation to remain a member- along with other memberships in organizations that support 2A rights.

ETA: That was an outstanding presentation. I imagine Alan Gura is formidable in a courtroom - glad he's on our side!
    Last edited by PA Traveler; October 25th, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

Awesome? 15 minutes of Gura patting himself on the back and trashing the NRA.
    Let me remind everyone that Gura's Privileges and Immunities argument in McDonald was REJECTED by the Supreme Court and the NRA's Due Process argument prevailed. If the NRA had not been permitted to intervene, we would have lost McDonald and had gun rights progress set back disastrously.
    Basically, the last half of the video was just him whining!
    Trashing NRA's choice of (victorious) lawyers i.e. Paul Clement (who is recognized as America's preeminent Supreme Court litigator), Stephen Halbrook, etc. is preposterous!
    Last edited by Mocha Java; October 26th, 2010 at 09:34 PM.