Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: How we made a PVC Target Stand

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I got to check out Guns4fun's target stands and it is certain that the slightest breeze would not blow them over. The guys did a good job.

I shot at them a few times. What I really wanted to do was shoot all of them at once but I was afraid of hitting the wood risers. Now that the risers have been hit a few times, maybe they won't mind next time
    As always, it was a pleasure shooting with you guys again.

ETA - make sure you thank Rob for letting you borrow his upper. That thing was insane.

You are correct. It is going to take a pretty good wind to blow them over. If it would become a problem i'll just put sandbags on the feet or fill them up with sand and put caps on them.

It looks like the wood uprights took 2 hits. One from a .22 and one from a 9mm. I'm betting it was from my kid when he was shooting the dual .22 and 9mm pistols --- because we all know it could not have possibly been me that hit them . That's my story anyhow and i'm sticking to it .

I too thought about running a pass from left to right but held off because i didn't want to cut the new wood stands in half just yet - maybe next time.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; October 24th, 2010 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I build two using the design on 'theboxotruth' site. Photo is from there. I glued mine too. I can't imagine the PVC parts getting shot.
    I can. In fact, I don't even have to imagine it. I watched it happen. I built a HUGE stand out of PVC last year, reasoning that it would be light, easy to break down and transport, store, etc. The top was over 6 feet high, and the feet were a little over 10 feet apart. The purpose was for hanging tin cans and plastic bottles from it for plinking.

We took a young lady from church shooting for her very first time. From a distance of about 25 ft, she (and some others I suspect) managed to shoot the overhead bar full of holes, and the whole thing came crashing down when she hit one of the feet. The next one is going to be wood.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post

ETA - make sure you thank Rob for letting you borrow his upper. That thing was insane.

Oh, I'll "thank" him alright. But there may be something lost in the translation. It will rhyme with "thank."

It's ours until he shows up to claim it

Thanks for coming out. You and your kid are always the best.

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    ...I built a HUGE stand out of PVC last year, reasoning that it would be light, easy to break down and transport, store, etc. The top was over 6 feet high, and the feet were a little over 10 feet apart. The purpose was for hanging tin cans and plastic bottles from it for plinking.
    I like the sound of this. Maybe Guns4fun can put the kid to work....
    Last edited by ungawa; October 24th, 2010 at 08:18 PM.

I like the sound of this. Maybe Guns4fun can put the kid to work....
    By all means. I'll even send a plan along. It is great for those who can control their shots even a little.

(Northampton County)

By all means. I'll even send a plan along. It is great for those who can control their shots even a little.
    Well, Sir, I don't appreciate the tone in your tongue (smilley tongue at the end)

I don't remember missing many things I wanted to have holes in recent history

Well, Sir, I don't appreciate the tone in your tongue (smilley tongue at the end)

I don't remember missing many things I wanted to have holes in recent history
    Oh, I wasn't referring to you! Although, I can truthfully say that you did not hit the broad side of my barn when you were here last year. I'll leave out the part that you weren't supposed to hit it!

(Northampton County)

Oh, I wasn't referring to you! Although, I can truthfully say that you did not hit the broad side of my barn when you were here last year. I'll leave out the part that you weren't supposed to hit it!
    True. But while you were gone, we inspected the holes. And we couldn't figure out if they were new holes or old holes based on our inconclusive evaluation of the weathering. I immediately suggested that we put in a few new holes for a scientific comparison

I was voted down.

(Berks County)

Some of these are some really great designs. I've always wanted to come up with a great design for target stands, but unfortunately I have nowhere to shoot them so it's kind of pointless to make them. lol. The only ranges I've ever been to require the shooters to slowly squeeze off shots at a static target. Lame.

(Adams County)

To help with the wind knocking them over, you could drill a 1/4" hole at the ends of the feet and get a 10 pack of tent stakes from walmart for a couple bucks.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Allegheny County)

Some nice designs for inexpensive target stands, both plastic and wood.

Has anyone tried ABS (black) pipe to build these? I know that PVC is pretty brittle during cold weather and can shatter when hit. I was thinking ABS foamcore is a bit less brittle in colder weather.

I should take a piece each and give it the bullet test.

I also believe for a few bucks, you can buy a drill mounted tool called a "socket saver" which can remove the plastic which is glued into the fitting hub which would let you reuse the fittings if the pipe itself breaks.

I have the stuff to weld target stands so I never tried making them out of plastic pipe.

I have 3 shown at the left side of the pic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast