Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Non Student Carry on College Campus

Hey guys I have a few questions I haven't been able to find the answers too. I graduated from Temple Univeristy about 2 years ago and know that it was illegal to carry while in school or on campus as a student. Now that I have graduated I still have a few friends that go there and I go down to visit and party from time to time. Legally speaking am I aloud to carry concealed on colllege campus. Lets assume at some point I may be in a building owned by Temple. I would assume Temple can not govern what happens on the public streets but that may have a say if I was inside a frat party or inside some girls apartment which was renter through Temple. All the ?s always made me nervous so I've always just left my gun at home but of course would feel a lot safer with it. 95% of the time I don't drink at all or have only one beer. Although I'm strictly against it is there any law that would prohibited me from carry and I guess being over the legal limit to operate a car, I'm asking this because my friend tells me over and over again it's legal and I just don't see how that's possible. I'm sorry for all the questions especially if they are already answered on the forum. I'm just here to learn as much as I can about my rights.

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Non Student Carry on College Campus

Quote Originally Posted by 1988 Olds View Post
    Hey guys I have a few questions I haven't been able to find the answers too. I graduated from Temple Univeristy about 2 years ago and know that it was (illegal) AGAINST UNIVERSITY POLICY to carry while in school or on campus as a student.
    Fixed that for you. You did nothing illegal.........you simply violated a policy. Now, while a student you could be expelled. If they tell you to leave campus, you must or else be charged with trespassing - which does fall under LAW.

Sorry I had to shrink the text - can't figure how to do strikeout.
    Last edited by sjohn26; October 23rd, 2010 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjohn26 View Post

Sorry I had to shrink the text - can't figure how to do strikeout.
    The strikeout command to use is STRIKE

(Philadelphia County)

There is no law preventing from carrying on a college campus or in a college building. None.

Keep it concealed, simply to avoid being asked to leave. But why anyone would want to go to Temple's main campus (or anywhere, really) unarmed is beyond me.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by policemedic View Post
    There is no law preventing from carrying on a college campus or in a college building. None.

Keep it concealed, simply to avoid being asked to leave. But why anyone would want to go to Temple's main campus (or anywhere, really) unarmed is beyond me.
    Thanks for the info guys. Sometime people like to go down there to party and drink and at that point I would think it would be wiser to leave the gun at home. Cops come to a party start asking questions and kicking people out for being drunk just doesn't make sense to be carry. Also on Temple's campus it's really not that bad, There is 100s of lights and cops or security pretty much all over the place.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the info guys. Sometime people like to go down there to party and drink and at that point I would think it would be wiser to leave the gun at home. Cops come to a party start asking questions and kicking people out for being drunk just doesn't make sense to be carry. Also on Temple's campus it's really not that bad, There is 100s of lights and cops or security pretty much all over the place.
    Let me get this straight; you think that when other people are drunk, disorderly, and out of control it's wiser to not carry?

Or are you saying that when YOU go to "party and drink" it's wiser for you not to carry?

I want to ask because honestly, in my opinion, drinking to the point where you lose control, such that you wouldn't even trust yourself with a firearm, seems downright irresponsible to me.

(Delaware County)

well..I don't know about the others on this forum, but I'd carry on campus..nothing is worse than needing your gun and not having it..if they ask you to leave..that's no big deal.

as for the getting drunk part..be responsible..if you're carrying your gun, you should stop drinking when you cannot be responsible under your own power..JMHO.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Question Re: Non Student Carry on College Campus

It is not illegal to carry on a college campus. It is also not illegal to drink and carry. If you are going to drink to the point where you lose control than I question your ability to carry a firearm with those intentions. You did ask another question though that is different from being out of control drunk. You asked if you can carry while being over the legal limit (which I believe is .08). I think some will agree that being over .08 is not necessarily drunk or out of control, depending on the person, however I am uncertain of the laws regarding carrying and being .09 or higher. Anyone know?
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Philadelphia County)

Also on Temple's campus it's really not that bad, There is 100s of lights and cops or security pretty much all over the place.
    I used to work that area. Trust me, you should carry a gun.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    ...however I am uncertain of the laws regarding carrying and being .09 or higher. Anyone know?
    There are none (in Pa.)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast