Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default The dreadful PICS "Delay"... and does a VAF help?

First off I want to say hi to everyone and thanks for all the wonderful reading as I patiently wait (itsssss hard!) for my guns to be released from Geiser Guns (Great gun shop in Sunbury). I have read that many folks have gotten the delay then the proceed within different time frames of the 15 days. Right now I am on day 8 so it shouldn't be much longer. Since "waiting" is not my best attribute I decided to take action so this doesn't happen again in the future. Now I don't know why I was put into delay but I can tell everyone that I don't have any felonies, pfa orders, etc. My thoughts on possible reasons for the delay is:
    1, I do have a CDL and at one time I had the hazmat endorsement but at the current time, no longer have it.
    2, I have not purchased a firearm and gone though the PICS system. Last firearm I have purchased was a long gun, maybe 15 years ago.
    3, The day I went to the gun shop to have them do the PICS, earlier that morning I had to go to pendot to get my license renewed PLUS have them updated my address. (I don't know if this has any bearing on the delay).
    4, I am in the process of purchasing both a long gun and a pistol at the same time.
    5, First time in owning a handgun

I'm not sure if any of these have any bearing on the delay but for everyone that has gone though this knows, it really is frustrating.
    My actions to lessen the future "delay" is that I filled out a VAF. I sent the VAF, my fingerprints, a copy of my drivers license, copy of SS card and a copy of my birth certificate to FBI yesterday. The problem is... I'm not sure the VAF will have any inpact since Pennsylvania uses the PICS system. When I spoke to the sheriff (He had no clue what a VAF was until I showed him the form), he told me that when they call in, there are no options for them to enter in the UPIN number (The UPIN number is what I will receive from the FBI once they enter in my VAF information.).

So does anyone know, will the VAF will have any positive affects here in Pa.?

Also... since I have had my fingerprints scanned into the system (for the VAF) at the sheriff's office, will those fingerprints stay in the system and get transferred to the Pa state police?

On a side note, While I was at the sheriffs office I also applied for my CC permit.

On a good note, 7 days or less and I should have my halloween present =)
    Last edited by Delerius; October 21st, 2010 at 01:55 PM.

(Snyder County)

Default Re: The dreadful PICS "Delay"... and does a VAF help?

Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhh! Just got a call and got approved! =)
    Took 9 days but I survived. Off to get my new toys!

(Snyder County)

Just another update... I was quite surprised but in the mail today I received my CC permit. I applied for the permit on Monday Oct. 18, my one reference told me that he received a letter on Tuesday and sent it back out on Wednesday so the sheriff would have received it Thursday and here it is Friday, Oct. 22. Im assuming when the sheriff called the pics, it was an instant approval.

There just doesn't seem to be any logic to the pics system...

Welcome to the Forums: Home of pointless arguments, niggling minutia and the occasional useful piece of information.

When I bought my first handgun, I walked out with it that day and I live in Philadelphia county. So I know nothing about waiting periods.

I have heard of cases where the state runs the PICS check with your name and DOB. They get a hit, freeze your purchase and then they have to cross-check the hit with all of your other information. When they figure out that they got a hit on another guy with your name and birthdate, they finally un-freeze you. Or so I have heard.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Westmoreland County)

was just talking to a friend about this the other day, told me gun shop owner told him to wait cause he just transfered his license from another state, said that changes like that can cause delays and additional paperwork

guessin thats what went wrong but honestly dont know for sure

(Montgomery County)

Congrats and enjoy!

I know waiting for anything is the worst!

BTW, what is a VAF?

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Snyder County)

Thanks for the welcomes! I've learned quite a bit the past couple weeks trolling the forums...

A VAF is a Voluntary Appeal File. All the info can be found here regarding it, http://foia.fbi.gov/vaf.htm and the VAF form is here, http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...e_eng.pdf/view

Basically when you fill out the form and send it in with your fingerprints, you give them authorization to keep a file on tap. What they give you is a UPIN number which gets placed on the 4473. If you purchase a gun in a state that calls into the NICS they have the ability to enter the UPIN number into the system. By entering the UPIN and the driver license number they come back with an instant approval 99% of the time. Sadly Pennsylvania uses the PICS system and when a dealer calls in, there is no option to enter a UPIN number. Now if the transaction gets transfer to an operator, I am told that the dealer can give the UPIN number but there is no guarantee that you will get an instant approval.
    I have heard that if Corbett wins, he is going to do away with the PICS and go with the NICS. Honesty I don't see why us taxpayers have to pay for a background check system when the FBI offers one for free.

While I was digging around for information regarding the PICS system, I ran across this audit the FBI did on the PICS system. Granted this document is old but it is interesting... http://www.acslpa.org/n-061501ltrDOJtoPSP.pdf

(Berks County)

As you found out PA uses its own instant check system, and it does seem to have its share of bugs.

I don't recall if PSP will accept the VAF form, as I belive they have their own system.

The link below has a link for the challenge form if you are denied a firearm purchace.....

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

Congrats on finally getting out of research and approved

Enjoy your new pistol

While the PA process is a PITA, I feel its far better to be able to go through the PSP than some faceless burecrat on the federal level.......but that's just me
    gotta love her ;)

(Montgomery County)

As you've found, the VAF probaly will not help in PA's system -- I have a VAF UPIN from a wrongful NICS denial several years ago when making a Garand purchase from CMP. The VAF UPIN will help you with similar purchases that go through NICS and not PICS.

I found out that the VAF UPIN doesn't help in PA when I was denied earlier this year by PICS (which I successfully appealed). If you're ever denied by PICS and successfully appeal, having a copy of the denial reversal letter from the state police will make things smoother with future purchases -- the letter will have a file number on it that the dealer can give to the PICS operator. I've only made one purchase since I got my reversal letter, but it went smoothly.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
    As you've found, the VAF probaly will not help in PA's system -- I have a VAF UPIN from a wrongful NICS denial several years ago when making a Garand purchase from CMP. The VAF UPIN will help you with similar purchases that go through NICS and not PICS.

I found out that the VAF UPIN doesn't help in PA when I was denied earlier this year by PICS (which I successfully appealed). If you're ever denied by PICS and successfully appeal, having a copy of the denial reversal letter from the state police will make things smoother with future purchases -- the letter will have a file number on it that the dealer can give to the PICS operator. I've only made one purchase since I got my reversal letter, but it went smoothly.
    were you informed on Exactly why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast