Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default GSG 5 as a trunk gun?

I'm thinking of using my GSG 5 as a Trunk gun, but my concern is how will the polymer/plastic furniture hold up in the winter months with the extreme cold and all.

Have you or are you using a polymer furniture gun gun a s a Trunk gun ? And how has it hold up to the weather?

Thanks for any input you might have .

Nyman

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: GSG 5 as a trunk gun?

I wouldn't do it - too fragile of a gun. I like my GSG5 but I'd go with a SIG522 instead, about as true a SHTF mag-fed rimfire as youll ever see. Sure there is the Henry and a variety of other rimmies to choose from too.

And yeah, I know it's 'sposed to be a FAL or AR or AK - but cheap ammo and easier to obtain hits counts for something.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Montgomery County)

This is purely my opinon.
    I wouldn't bother carrying it in my trunk. Reasons:
    1. Its most likely not an SBR, so you can't have it loaded.
    2. Its a rimfire, what is it gonna do??? It would just piss them off even more.
    3. Why risk the firearm being stolen out of your car. Peoples cars get broken into everyday, and to have a firearm stolen is much worse then a GPS, or wallet.
    Just my 2 cents.

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the replies Guys, good points, i have all the guns you mentioned, Ar's, AK' and one FAL, but i wouldnt want to leave one of those in my trunk, but then again the GSG is not a cheap gun either at over $500.

I do have an original 1968 made armalite AR7 that saw service in Vietnam , but that is more like a collector piece.

I do have a a Walnut stocked Ruger 10/22 made in 1972 but i worry that the cold weather might crack the wood same for my Ruger Mini 14 GB.

I do have a 16 1/4 inch SKS in a polymer stock ,would that be a better option?

THe reason i asked about the GSG 5 is that i shoot it so well.

And yes the ammo would be kept seperately so as not to violate any laws etc.

So would the SKs be a better choice?

THanks ia

Nyman

(Lancaster County)

Best truck gun ive ever owned is a Hi Point 995. Its cheap so it doesnt matter if it gets beat up. Shoots 9mm very accurate out to 50 yards, enough to kill game or other. 10 and 15 round magazines that are cheap. Mine is reliable as can be. Ive never had it jam. Did I mention its cheap and 9mm is cheap to shoot.
    No longer posting

Quote Originally Posted by rockkrawler628 View Post
    This is purely my opinon.
    I wouldn't bother carrying it in my trunk. Reasons:
    1. Its most likely not an SBR, so you can't have it loaded.

So SBR are not considered rifle, so i can be loaded in cars?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    So SBR are not considered rifle, so i can be loaded in cars?
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6106

18 Pa.C.S. § 6102

The answers you seek can be found within those statutes.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    Best truck gun ive ever owned is a Hi Point 995. Its cheap so it doesnt matter if it gets beat up. Shoots 9mm very accurate out to 50 yards, enough to kill game or other. 10 and 15 round magazines that are cheap. Mine is reliable as can be. Ive never had it jam. Did I mention its cheap and 9mm is cheap to shoot.

this is a good amswer compared to carrying any of the other rifles mentioned as a trunk gun but with that said i wouldn't leave any firearm in my car period. to many firearms are stolen because some gun owner decided to leave his weapon in the car unattended. worse case scenario is the rifle is stolen, used in a crime, the gun is then traced back to you, now your ass is in a sling and if nothing else it just adds to the anti's arguement against firearm ownership. if you have a LTCF what more do you really need????? i would think any 9mm, 40 cal or even 45 with a couple hi cap mags should be enough to get you through any threat you're likely to encounter.

how quick can you get to a trunk gun anyway??? you've got to stop your car, get out (exposing yourself) open the trunk and load the rifle. if you're really in a SHTF situation i can guarantee by the time you do all this you're already f...ed big time.

(Elk County)

A trunk is a bad place to store a weapon not only because of potential theft, but also due to the environment. Winter cold is one thing, but sunny winter days and cold nights are just as dangerous as hot summer days and cool nights in high humidity months.

Why? Cyclic phase change of mositure in the trunk turns a trunk into an environmental corrosion exposure chamber. Hot days heat the trunk space and vaporize moisture normally found in the trunk liner and carpet, cardboard boxes, clothing items, etc. When the sun goes down and trunk cavity cools and that moisture recondenses. Your trunk acts as a solar "still." Due to the relatively higher coefficient of heat transfer, the first thing cooling water vapor condenses on is metal -- your firearm -- and if you've not been vigilant with routine THOROUGH oiling of the weapon, you will be rewarded with spots of rust where the moisture condensed.

Don't be wooed into a false sense of security with a storage case because over time the moisture in the trunk will equillibrate inside the storeage case. And the case itself will become a "mini-still" inside the larger still that is your trunk.

This is all the same reason why you NEVER want to take a gun that's been in a cold vehicle and uncase it in a high humidity area of the house (kitchen, basement) without letting it warm up in the case first.

If you must have a "trunk gun," select a weapon with high polymer content and metal that's been coated with one of the high-tech finishes, and oil the internals liberally.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

If you must have a "trunk gun," select a weapon with high polymer content and metal that's been coated with one of the high-tech finishes, and oil the internals liberally.
    so... buy the cheapest AK you can find and put $300 worth of Crapco gear on it?

2. Its a rimfire, what is it gonna do??? It would just piss them off even more.
    Go look up some .22 LR injuries/shooting victims .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast