Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: high point

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: high point

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    Walmart type warranty is just that. They don't care who, what, where, when, how..
    Man, I tried to take a quarter box of Remington Thunderbolts back to Wally World once and they told me to pound sand. Same with the condoms. Come to think of it, I've never been able to return anything to Wal Mart!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

All this talk about walmart warranty I guess its good to have if you will be sending yoru giun or parts back often. But I think its a mute selling point.

I've owned several different Name Brand guns for 20+ years and never needed any warranty work done because the guns has always ran reliably, been accurate and been durable.

Like others I'd never buy a High Point pistol. But I see nothing wrong with people that do, buy what you like and can afford. I just think I can do a little or MUCH better then a HP. imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    But I think its a mute selling point.
    I think you mean, moot.

I just think I can do a little or MUCH better then a HP. imho.
    Define better? The things never jam, they go bang every time, they hit exactly where you point them, and they don't rust.

Am I missing something? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think my Beretta 92FS is ugly, I think my Hi Point is ugly, ........who gives a shit? I don't. As far as I'm concerned, they're both epic guns.

Theres no reason NOT to buy a Hi Point. I own 2 and plan to buy more. People bash them and most never even own one, or never give it a chance.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    I think you mean, moot.

Define better? The things never jam, they go bang every time, they hit exactly where you point them, and they don't rust.

Am I missing something? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think my Beretta 92FS is ugly, I think my Hi Point is ugly, ........who gives a shit? I don't. As far as I'm concerned, they're both epic guns.

Theres no reason NOT to buy a Hi Point. I own 2 and plan to buy more. People bash them and most never even own one, or never give it a chance.
    Plus 100couple. I'm thinking about it too.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

456 - Like I said people buy what they LIKE and can afford. Obviously you can buy better you just LIKE a cheap Gun, that sometimes works. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder yes it is. I see the Hi Pont as Ugly, heavy, poorly made and I don't care if some swear by it. I could think of other things to spend my money on. The Beretta I think is attractive, proven functionable, reliable and one of the most dependable semi auto pistols made, certainly one of the most copied and sold. Used by the military, feds, state and city law enforcements. (Can the Hi point say that), does that define better for you.
    I personally carried my 92sf on duty in LE and have owned it & 5 others for 3-20 years with no problems. Ugly can be disputed but quailty can not either you have it or you don't. Going by my 1st hand evaluation and numerous Youtube supposeably pro Hi point testing 60% or less successe rate is not good enough for me and handling the gun gives me less confidence in it.

I been offered the chance to fire it numerous times and I want nothing to do with it after working the action and looking at it. As I stated if you like Hi point quailty and that it goes bang thats great, I expect more from a firearm then what a near zip gun offers.
    As for no reason not to own a Hi point ( I could think of many) I use to say same about the SKS when they were $79 - $150 but the SKS was proven.

In the end buy all the HPs you want, its your money.
    Last edited by Neko456; October 26th, 2010 at 09:14 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

I personally know a marine that was home on leave and money was tight he got a hi-point .45 well to make a long story short a very large dog (165 pound mastiff) bit his youngest daughter and he discharged 6 times to kill the dog no misfires, hit point of aim can they be ammo sensitive, malfuntion prone yes but the majority of them seem to be crude but very reliable guns I personaly own one as a camp gun they work plain and simple most of the time but to me that is not good enough...truck gun, plinker by all means yes
    Last edited by PhilliesFan19128; October 26th, 2010 at 11:46 AM.

I think your blindly missing alot of what I'm saying. You have the anti mindset so bad that it seems as if your reading the words but they aren't sinking in.

Like I said people buy what they LIKE and can afford. Obviously you can buy better you just LIKE a cheap Gun, that sometimes works.
    Not sometimes, all of the time. And from what I've seen of many hi point owners, I'm not alone.

poorly made
    again, what are you assessing this from?

and I don't care if some swear by it.
    ..........really?

proven functionable,
    So are the hi points

reliable and one of the most dependable semi auto pistols made, certainly one of the most copied and sold. Used by the military, feds, state and city law enforcements. (Can the Hi point say that),
    probably because everyone else, much like people like yourself, absolutely refuse to give anyone a chance. that is ignorance that destroys the world...much like how Obama claimed he would listen to any ideas how to fix the economy (sounds pretty open minded, doesnt it?) but then gave his catch, as long as it wasn't "to do nothing" He couldn't accept that. What if nothing was the answer? that would be pretty ignorant?....wouldn't it? What if hi point not only matched berettas reliability and was a third of the price? sounds like win win to me.

does that define better for you.
    No, not at all. just because they use one and not the other means nothing. they may not have even considered hi poinit. Unless proven inferior by non biased, open minded professionals (most likely non gun people) then it means nothing.

Going by my 1st hand evaluation and numerous Youtube supposeably pro Hi point testing 60% or less successe rate is not good enough for me and handling the gun gives me less confidence in it.
    I'm not sure I even know how to respond to this...so many things to say, so I'll say nothing, I've voiced myself enough already.

I been offered the chance to fire it numerous times and I want nothing to do with it after working the action and looking at it.
    Your biased shows through here like its painted blaze orange.

In the end buy all the HPs you want, its your money.
    I will. With extremely reliable function, durable construction, unmatched warranty, and absolutely superb factory customer service, I'd be crazy not to.

I think your blindly missing alot of what I'm saying. You have the anti mindset so bad that it seems as if your reading the words but they aren't sinking in.

Not sometimes, all of the time. And from what I've seen of many hi point owners, I'm not alone.

again, what are you assessing this from?

..........really?

So are the hi points

probably because everyone else, much like people like yourself, absolutely refuse to give anyone a chance. that is ignorance that destroys the world...much like how Obama claimed he would listen to any ideas how to fix the economy (sounds pretty open minded, doesnt it?) but then gave his catch, as long as it wasn't "to do nothing" He couldn't accept that. What if nothing was the answer? that would be pretty ignorant?....wouldn't it? What if hi point not only matched berettas reliability and was a third of the price? sounds like win win to me.
    No, not at all. just because they use one and not the other means nothing. they may not have even considered hi poinit. Unless proven inferior by non biased, open minded professionals (most likely non gun people) then it means nothing.

I'm not sure I even know how to respond to this...so many things to say, so I'll say nothing, I've voiced myself enough already.

Your biased shows through here like its painted blaze orange.

I will. With extremely reliable function, durable construction, unmatched warranty, and absolutely superb factory customer service, I'd be crazy not to.

456 - Your opinion of the Hi point are yours. Mines are mine we disagree on what quality is and the virtues of what makes a fine semi auto pistol. You pick up the Hi point and see an extremely reliable weapon. I pick it up and work the slide inspect the barrel and see a poorly made near RG like gun. Me not wanting to fire it doesn't prove anything, I just have two hands & want to keep both of them. If I don't want to fire the HP that's my option. I agree that it has a great warranty and CS dept, I've heard.

We just see the Hi point in a different light. As for your statement "I'd be crazy not to." We differ there also, but its your money and opinion and you are entitled to that. Though I strongly disagree.

PhilliesFan1912 - By the way my 45acps are Beretta PX4, Glock 21sf and 3 1911s. I'm not going to be impressed with a Hi point shooting a dog waiting to be shot. We agree they are not good enough for us, unless throw away guns.
    Last edited by Neko456; October 26th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

(Bucks County)

The Hi-Point Throwdown Continues.

http://multigun.wordpress.com/2010/0...own-continues/

Ok, you guys have been pretty patient with me, so here’s an update for the Hi-Point Throwdown. I attended our weekly Wednesday Steel Challenge match and ran the Hi-Point against an M&P. I’ve also secured a holster for the Hi-Point as well. Below are the results from the match:

11-Aug-10 1 2 3 4 Total

Triangles 5 To Go Showdown Plate

Rack

IRON SIGHT
    1 Brian #2 8.77 10.1 8.6 10.89 38.36
    2 Brian #1 11.37 9.97 7.71 9.39 38.44
    3 Dennis 10.22 10.48 8.86 11.05 40.61
    4 Rod #2 10.26 12.74 8.13 11.33 42.46
    5 Rod #1 10.49 10.64 9.69 12.58 43.4
    6 Jason 12.47 10.89 9.62 10.95 43.93
    7 Paul 10.52 12.26 10.53 11.99 45.3
    8 Justin M&P 10.56 13.42 7.69 14.32 45.99
    9 Pat 13.18 11.86 11.91 14.69 51.64
    10 Bonnie 14.01 13.14 10.69 14.93 52.77
    11 Justin HP 14.57 13.93 11.97 13.08 53.55
    12 Carl 15.75 16.88 15.83 16.55 65.01
    13 Adrian 13.52 18.09 16.52 18.44 66.57
    14 Curtis 9.44 35.91 10.73 12.74 68.82
    15 Carl B. 21.6 18.04 14.01 18.51 72.16
    16 Charles 19.63 25.61 14.22 26.52 85.98
    17 Michael
    46.4 31.06 23.68 26.88 128.02
    18 Mark
    51.86 57.14 42.32 46.34 197.66

The M&P had one stoppage due to a high primer (ammunition-related). There were none with the Hi-Point. Shooting the Hi-Point from a holster evened things up considerably. Drawing the gun feels a bit clunky, though the safety is placed well enough that it’s easy to sweep off as you’re presenting the gun to the target. The heavy trigger pull still doesn’t do you any favors, however.

For those of you who’ve picked this story up via the Hi-Point forums, welcome. I saw a couple points raised there about the test, so I’ll address them here:

Wouldn’t it be interesting to know what all the competitors were shooting

The division I shoot in is iron-sight. Most of the shooters are running either production-division type guns like Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, Beretta 92s,or single action semi-autos like 1911s. I don’t include the results from other divisions like Rimfire pistol or Open because they’re not really relevant.

Whats the mag cap on the 2 pistols? i was wondering if the c9 needed more mag changes which could cause the slowdown?

Magazine capacity isn’t that important in Steel Challenge. The stages are all pre-set and have no more than five targets. reloads are done off the clock between strings of fire. The 10 round magazines for the Hi-Point don’t put the gun at a noticeable disadvantage, unless I really happen to screw the pooch and miss a lot. At which point it becomes moot. In Steel Challenge, if you have to reload on the clock, you’ve already lost.

Note the brass hasn’t yet cleared the ejection port on the gun. I don’t know if this is a result of a lucky shot with the camera, or testament to how slowly the Hi-Point cycles.

Two pieces of brass in the air at once. Pretty awesome. The camouflage holster is the one I’m using for the Hi-Point. Lest you think it screws with my draw, between strings, I rotate the outer competition belt to put the holster in the optimal spot for drawing.

As always, shooting stuff is a blast, and if you’re not already shooting Steel Challenge, you really should go find a local match to attend. It’s great fun.

(Berks County)

I thought about this thread at work today.

I picked up a "pittsburgh" wrench after using a "snap on". Then I put the two next to each other. Hmm,
    Snap On: well made, perfect ergonomics, pleasant to the eye, slimmer, sleaker...
    Pittsburgh: ok enough made, it asked me what ergonomics were, tried to cover itself with a rag, bulky, but functions.
    Both warranted for life, cost about 300% more for Snap On.

So in a way I see your reasoning. Then again I don't count on my tools to protect my welfare.

Though I have never had an issue taking back a Pittsburgh made tool (and I have had to several times) I don't like buying them other than for "road tools". (who wants to loose a $70 ratchet) Snap On has a great reputation for their tools and warranties, though I have never had to find out. (quality speaks for itself).

Seems Hi Point has some of the same marketing strategies as a lot of other "cheaply made things" sell in shear volume and make enough to fix the problems that are bound to happen in a manufacturing process such as theirs.

So I still stand by my original statement. I Would spend the extra and get something more reputable. UNLESS it is for plinking.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast