Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: high point

(Berks County)

Default Re: high point

I would never buy one.

However I agree buying upper end isn't always the best choice.

Like I said as a range gun have at it, break it, take it back.

If you can honestly tell me you would trust your life on the line backed by this gun... more power to you.

All new items, machines, need a test run... I would not trust my life to an out of the box anything. Once out of the box.. is where reputation, tried and true results kick in and this gun has yet to come close to being "comfortable".

AGAIN.... MHO

(Warren County)

This kind of post just make me wonder why somebody goes to the effort.
    Some folks can't be happy unless they make others un-happy. Sad, just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    I'm too lazy to quote tonight, but.. noone brought carbines into the discussion until after the fact. It was pistol. Sorry if anyone disagrees, but hi-point/high point, however it is spelled (I could care less since I would never own one) are junk. Ok they come with a Walmart type warranty, who wants to give up their protective carry piece every time it blows up, get an XD if money is tight I did, or any other decently manufactured hand gun. There are several, for lack of a better term, sub quality guns, the last one on the list I would chose from is hi-point. If it is a range toy then have at it. break it and take it back to "walmart"! haha

MHO.
    What's a "Walmart type warranty?"
    Here's the Hi-point warranty: send your Hi-point back to Ohio and they will repair or replace it........FOREVER.
    Oh, and they usually add a new magazine to the package, just to make up for postage and the gun being gone for a few days.

Choose from any list you want to.
    My Hi-points all work.
    They all shoot and shoot fine.

Heavy? yeah. Helps with the recoil, too. Mom can shoot the 45. She's 75, BTW.
    Concealable? Not especially.
    Reliable? Yeah.
    Made in America? Yes.
    Fun? Oh Yeah.
    Affordable? Yew Betcha.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: high point

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post

Here's the Hi-point warranty: send your Hi-point back to Ohio and they will repair or replace it........FOREVER.
    Oh, and they usually add a new magazine to the package, just to make up for postage and the gun being gone for a few days.

My Hi-points all work.

Reliable? Yeah.
    Made in America? Yes.
    Fun? Oh Yeah.
    Affordable? Yew Betcha.

Agree with this post 100%!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post

My Hi-points all work.

Reliable? Yeah.
    Made in America? Yes.
    Fun? Oh Yeah.
    Affordable? Yew Betcha.
    Walmart type warranty is just that. They don't care who, what, where, when, how.. I can't deny that the issue will be taken care of. It will they have great support (considering)., for what $200 more roughly you can get a decent hand gun with the same, if not better support. Yes I am bias against hi point.. but! with reason... just because they will fix a situation does that make it ok? I know a lot of guns get sent back daily.... but if I buy a gun the last thing I want to hear about is send it back.. what if I have no other means to protect my family of 5? I have to send it back and pray no one decides to violate me? I would sooner spend the extra money and get a reputable gun.

Oh and like I said if its for target shooting, have at it.
    Last edited by dregan; October 24th, 2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo

(Bucks County)

Walmart type warranty is just that. They don't care who, what, where, when, how.. I can't deny that the issue will be taken care of. It will they have great support (considering)., for what $200 more roughly you can get a decent hand gun with the same, if not better support. Yes I am bias against hi point.. but! with reason... just because they will fix a situation does that make it ok? I know a lot of guns get sent back daily.... but if I buy a gun the last thing I want to hear about is send it back.. what if I have no other means to protect my family of 5? I have to send it back and pray no one decides to violate me? I would sooner spend the extra money and get a reputable gun.

Oh and like I said if its for target shooting, have at it.
    I'm curious, which $350-400 ($200 more than a hi-point) brand of gun are you referring to that's never had to be sent back for repairs? That also has a no question lifetime warranty whether your the original owner or not. You say your bias against Hi point but with reason, what reason? Is the hi point brand the only brand that ever had to go back to correct a problem? Does hi point have a higher return rate than any other brand, I would like to see your proof of that. I would also like to know that brand of firearm you chose to protect your family with that never had any of their products fail so that your family will never have to worry about being protected. Please enlighten us as to which brand of $400 firearm that has a 100% flawless record of never ever failing.
    Last edited by triplebike; October 24th, 2010 at 11:26 AM.

(Northumberland County)

Hi point is better then no gun at all, if its all someone can afford for their first gun then thats alrite. i buy cheap guns cuz i aint rich or have a good job.

I buy the best gun that my pocket allows

(Berks County)

I chose an XD40 (so it was 525 new slightly more than 200 more). Though you could find one used for 100-200 less if you were to get a used one, I think I saw one in the classifieds here actually. Is it a perfect, flawless gun? Not by any means. Does it hold good reviews, yes. Does it have a proven track record, yes. Does it have a life time warranty, yes.

Next is a Sig p226 or HK P30 (or both).

Proof? I know well enough of all people the people on this forum read, read, read. I guess the reviews are not enough to go on? I have a couple of friends that have had hi point pistols and nothing but problems. I see no way of proving beyond reviews.

I don't know why this is getting to be such a defensive subject.

(Warren County)

I chose an XD40 (so it was 525 new slightly more than 200 more). Though you could find one used for 100-200 less if you were to get a used one, I think I saw one in the classifieds here actually. Is it a perfect, flawless gun? Not by any means. Does it hold good reviews, yes. Does it have a proven track record, yes. Does it have a life time warranty, yes.

Next is a Sig p226 or HK P30 (or both).

Proof? I know well enough of all people the people on this forum read, read, read. I guess the reviews are not enough to go on? I have a couple of friends that have had hi point pistols and nothing but problems. I see no way of proving beyond reviews.

I don't know why this is getting to be such a defensive subject.
    Discussion and anecdotal remarks are NOT proof.
    This is a subjective comparison, not an objective one.
    You have your opinion, and you evidently think hi-Points are "junk". You are entitled to your opinion , no matter how wrong it is.

You can buy a NEW hi-point .45 for less than $190.00 A new 9mm for less than $160.00.

Nobody is being defensive, however, your posts have an offensive nature to them.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Jefferson County)

I agree, my neighbor bought one this summer just by looking at it i could tell it was not the sturdiest gun on the market. His argument was, "It only cost $185." In my opinion, if you're going to buy a firearm, it's better to spend a little more than to have a hunk of cheap steel blow up in your face.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by k_kunes View Post
    I agree, my neighbor bought one this summer just by looking at it i could tell it was not the sturdiest gun on the market. His argument was, "It only cost $185." In my opinion, if you're going to buy a firearm, it's better to spend a little more than to have a hunk of cheap steel blow up in your face.
    Beware of dogs

Sorry if you mistook me as being crude, offensive, arrogant, rude, superior, or any other feeling/vibe you may have gotten. The whole thing is they are sub-par guns that lack the reliability a few extra dollars will gain.

If it is indeed the only thing someone can afford then by all means get one. Any gun is better than none. Any gun owner is one more in the mix of our 2nd's best interests. To me it is a cheap toy one might get to just have and plink with, uncaring.

I was going to come back with a list of gun shops that will not stock these guns but I will let it rest. This thread is getting way off topic. (in this aspect of it)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast