Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: high point

Default Re: high point

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    456 - Could have bought a used Beretta or a Glock and then bought the HP Carbine. Like most I like the Carbine its reputation is better and in the X4 stock it looks great. Probably shoots the same but with 3rd party stuff it perks up nicely. Peopel tell me the same thing I have 6 Berettas and 3 Glocks and 3 1911s some say that I could have bought a high trim 1911 or a couple Sigs. But like you we buy what we like. Personally I don't think I shoot well enough to buy a $3k 1911. Apparently you like the ugly, poorly balanced Hi point but the only good thing about them is that its made in the USA and its CS dept.
    Or he could poke his eye out with a rusty spoon...it's his business. He likes HPs and it's his perogative to do so. I don't care why he likes them, I just respect his desire to do so.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Or he could poke his eye out with a rusty spoon...it's his business. He likes HPs and it's his perogative to do so. I don't care why he likes them, I just respect his desire to do so.

456 - I don't care that he likes Hi points and I stated we buy what we like.
    But its also my perogative to state my opinion as it is yours. My point is don't mis-quote me, I never questioned or denied his right to own what he likes I only gave my opinion. On a open forum like this one expects difference in opinions. Personally if you don't care why he likes them, why do you care that I donot. It doesn't take anything away from what he likes. Thats all we have here is a difference of opinion. No rights being taken.

456 - I don't care that he likes Hi points and I stated we buy what we like.
    But its also my perogative to state my opinion as it is yours. My point is don't mis-quote me, I never questioned or denied his right to own what he likes I only gave my opinion. On a open forum like this one expects difference in opinions. Personally if you don't care why he likes them, why do you care that I donot. It doesn't take anything away from what he likes. Thats all we have here is a difference of opinion. No rights being taken.
    Point taken, apology extended. Sorry about that. It sometimes gets to me that people will bash other's choices when those choices aren't immoral or dangerous. I responded faster than my brain processed.

Apology accepted.

Do you like the Hi point pistols or carbine? I like the carbine (in a 3rd party stock dressed up) but don't like the pistol. Its a look and feel thing to me.

I only own a .45, which I got as a bargain and it's only use is for the fun factor. But I have fired the 9mm carbine and it acted fine. Decent accuracy at 50yds.....as accurate as I am at least.

I wouldn't choose a HP as my first option on a carry weapon but for other uses it's fine. All indications are that are rugged as a brick, and resemble them as well. I'd like to know how they hold up long-term under heavy use. One aspect I like is there is no reason to baby the things. Sure, keep it clean and don't outright abuse them, as should be the protocol for any potentially dangerous item, but cleaning and such can be um.....unrefined.

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    I only own a .45, which I got as a bargain and it's only use is for the fun factor. But I have fired the 9mm carbine and it acted fine. Decent accuracy at 50yds.....as accurate as I am at least.

I wouldn't choose a HP as my first option on a carry weapon but for other uses it's fine. but cleaning and such can be um.....unrefined.
    456 - Like you most that own them swear by the Hi point but don't take it seriously as a personal protector unless it was the only gun around. I know a few friends that own them and used them as a CC gun. But only until they bought something else most these guys think that the Taurus is an upgrade to the Hi Point even though they swear by the Hi point.

Having a Chance to handle them I'm not impressed nor see any fun in wanting to fire them. This is just me we differ in our opinions also. Though we agree on the Carbine. ? But I hear the Carbine is the pistol even at that I stand by my opinion.
    Last edited by Neko456; October 22nd, 2010 at 11:13 AM.

(York County)

There are tons of High Point threads already on here...so I will save myself the trouble and quote myself from an old thread if you really want to know what I think about Hi-Points:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    I'm glad to see a Hi-Point article like this because I think they are really undervalued by the firearms community (or "gun snobs" like me). I never considered them real "guns" until I acquired one as a throw-in from a private seller along with an AR-15. It was actually the newer model of Hi-Point Carbine 995ts, which is still ugly, but is now covered in rails in weird and unusable places (retails for around $250 new, $200 used, seen higher and lower). I bought it as a joke, since it was NIB and never fired, I figured I would break it down and do something fun with it. I did end up putting the new ATI stock on it (the one that looks like a Beretta Storm), but before that I took it out for a test spin. I was really surprised. I was expecting crap from this gun, and except for looking like crap, there's not really much else crap about it (except for the magazines...). Yes, the charging handle is a screw-in bolt, and yes, it is ridiculously ugly, but it shoots well, and for those on a budget, this is a perfect short plinking or pest gun.

I think at some point our culture is pushing for guns to become more and more exotic and more and more expensive. In a lot of movies the guns portrayed are completely unnattainable by the public due to cost or import, and only make personally owning a gun less believable with the public. A lot of us don't do much more than further that along by telling new shooters or owners to "get rid of that crap" and get a "real gun" when there's nothing really wrong with having a cheap gun if you only intend to plink around or shoot raccoons. What the owner is doing is spot on, make guns affordable to the public and down-to-earth for the everyday Joe who can't afford a $900 starter AR-15 or a $600 1911.

I'm guilty of cheap gun bashing as well...but when I go to the range and I see a Dad and two boys shooting a Hi-Point carbine instead of sitting at home playing video games with high-end foreign made guns with ridiculous optics, I realize that I've got it all wrong. Shooting should be fun and affordable, and that's what Hi-Point is doing with this market.

456 - Like you most that own them swear by the Hi point but don't take it seriously as a personal protector unless it was the only gun around. I know a few friends that own them and used them as a CC gun. But only until they bought something else most these guys think that the Taurus is an upgrade to the Hi Point even though they swear by the Hi point.

Having a Chance to handle them I'm not impressed nor see any fun in wanting to fire them. This is just me we differ in our opinions also. Though we agree on the Carbine. ? But I hear the Carbine is the pistol even at that I stand by my opinion.
    The thing that makes it an unlikely carry weapon is the weight. Just plain old heavy. The triggers can be heavy too, but in a SD situation no one notices pull travel or tension. As for fun, I like anything that goes bang on demand.

(Berks County)

I'm too lazy to quote tonight, but.. noone brought carbines into the discussion until after the fact. It was pistol. Sorry if anyone disagrees, but hi-point/high point, however it is spelled (I could care less since I would never own one) are junk. Ok they come with a Walmart type warranty, who wants to give up their protective carry piece every time it blows up, get an XD if money is tight I did, or any other decently manufactured hand gun. There are several, for lack of a better term, sub quality guns, the last one on the list I would chose from is hi-point. If it is a range toy then have at it. break it and take it back to "walmart"! haha

MHO.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    I'm too lazy to quote tonight, but.. noone brought carbines into the discussion until after the fact. It was pistol. Sorry if anyone disagrees, but hi-point/high point, however it is spelled (I could care less since I would never own one) are junk. Ok they come with a Walmart type warranty, who wants to give up their protective carry piece every time it blows up, get an XD if money is tight I did, or any other decently manufactured hand gun. There are several, for lack of a better term, sub quality guns, the last one on the list I would chose from is hi-point. If it is a range toy then have at it. break it and take it back to "walmart"! haha

MHO.
    Have you ever actually owned a high-point? Form follows function. They aren't pretty, but they work, and they work well. The magazines used to have the feedlips bend out of adjustment? They'd send you two new ones.

So far, Springfield has replaced a half-a-dozen XD mags for me. They have finally redesigned them.

I've had a Glock go back, and a $1500 Kimber that was never right.

You can buy a Ferrari or a Fiat; which one do you think will spend more time in the shop?
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast