Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default What ever happen to the Steven Shotgun?

What ever happen to the Steven Shotgun? It was once a military weapon, what happen to this fine 12 gauge?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What ever happen to the Steven Shotgun?

Well, it's Savage-Stevens now I believe. They still make shotguns (In China). I have a Savage 350 Protector which is an Ithaca 37 clone and it's very nicely made. Sucks that it's not made here, but it's still a good firearm especially for the price.

(York County)

you are talking about the 520 and 620 series. thye were a substitute standard and saw limited use in WW1, WW2, korea, and possibly in VN. nice guns with a quick takedown, but they have one major flaw. as they begin to wear out the locking engagement becomes too tight to set correctly, and you run the risk of an "out of battery" firing. this could put the bolt right back thru your right cheekbone, leaving you with a really cool dueling scar.

sure sign of a worn out gun: the slide doesn't want to go quite all the way forward, and the small square "locking shoulder" on top of the bolt fails to come up completely into the square cut-out on the top of the receiver. i have seen several like this, and even seen one in which the lug was ground away at an angle so that the gun would close easily. there is a seperate locking lug on the left side of bolt, and a flat spring in the sidewall of receiver. damage to either of these can cause the gun to hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Well, it's Savage-Stevens now I believe. They still make shotguns (In China). I have a Savage 350 Protector which is an Ithaca 37 clone and it's very nicely made. Sucks that it's not made here, but it's still a good firearm especially for the price.

456 - I wouldn't mind having a Savage built Shotgun there Rifles made pretty good and accurate. I like Remington and Winchester but Savage is KISS and it works. Steven/Savage pump combo would work.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    456 - I wouldn't mind having a Savage built Shotgun there Rifles made pretty good and accurate. I like Remington and Winchester but Savage is KISS and it works. Steven/Savage pump combo would work.
    The 350 is pretty darned nice especially for $205 OTD brand new. All steel, smooth action with dual action bar, ghost ring sights with fiber optic front post, sling studs, nice fit and finish overall. I know it's not a 500 or 870 but it's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    The 350 is pretty darned nice especially for $205 OTD brand new. All steel, smooth action with dual action bar, ghost ring sights with fiber optic front post, sling studs, nice fit and finish overall. I know it's not a 500 or 870 but it's not bad.

456 - Sign me up I like PERKS in a deal, where do you find these shotguns for $205, with all the perks?

(Allegheny County)

I got mine on sale at Dunham's Sporting Goods. Won't do you much good out there I don't believe.

http://www.dunhamssports.com/