Quote Originally Posted by indiandave View Post
I used to live in Wayne county when the old sheriff was there. Here's how it worked then.
You had to make an appointment to be interviewed by the sheriff. This really sucked because it made the whole process a lot longer.
As far as references, I did give them 2 references both were not from Wayne county. They didn't contact them. It really didn't matter who I used I guess.
It took the full 45 days. It actually took longer for me because my address was a PO box and they wouldn't send my LTCF to a PO box. I had to go to their office to pick it up.
It took time but I did get it.
They still require the references but my understanding is that they just send out letters and wait to receive them back, I don't think they actually call them. I am pretty sure that everyone has to go in and pick up the license in person, they do not mail the license to anyone. I don't think Steelman actually does an interview, when I was there a few years ago he just asked if I had any questions when I was picking up my license.

Stonesriver1862: Buy a house in whatever county you want to, you should have no problem getting your license because the references do not have to live in the county.