Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Wayne County Sheriff Is Pro Second

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    Right, who cares about the law being followed or not.

You'll notice I didn't say he was overcharging, I pointed out that his fee collection was off from the way the statute describes it should be.

See the bold above; there's no authority in 6109 for him to delay your application for a local police check on top of the checks through 6111. Granted, he can conduct the checks if he wants to but he has no authority to require YOU to do anything other than apply as normal; he doesn't have the authority to require you to complete the extra forms he wants.

Again, you're talking about forms 1 & 4, I'm talking about problems with the LTCF. That's the difference. He's not really "pro second"; he's just better than others when it comes to those forms. He has other problems on gun areas that I pointed out.

I have no problem with how he handles ATF applications, I have a problem with how he handles LTCF applications. Does that clear it up for you?
    IronSight you make some good points but you're wrong some too.
    He does have the authority to ask you to submit to his backround check, you are free to say no, if you do he can just tell you he's not signing your form 1 or 4.
    He does not have to sign them at all.
    And I talked with the guy for 30 minutes and I believe him when he says he's pro Second Amendment.
    He told me he requires the BR check to put everyone's mind at ease so he can continue to sign these forms.

You forget, he still has to please all the voters or we get another sheriff who might not sign them at all.
    Clear that up for ya?

I know, you want all gun laws gone and everyone who wants a gun should have them, right?
    Even rapist felons huh?
    Well i'm part there with you, I want 99 % of the gun laws gone

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by vanderjack View Post
    I know, you want all gun laws gone and everyone who wants a gun should have them, right?
    Even rapist felons huh?
    Well i'm part there with you, I want 99 % of the gun laws gone
    You're so wrong about that it's not even funny. I've never stated that, EVER.

(Wayne County)

Mark Steelman is a straight shooter and a good man. He will not subject either himself or the county to any liability that could have been avoided by an extra check. I like that as a taxpayer and if you dont I rather he doubt he cares and I certainly do not. It's the Sheriff's choice to sign or not so if you want to carry you do as he requests.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Badge View Post
    Mark Steelman is a straight shooter and a good man. He will not subject either himself or the county to any liability that could have been avoided by an extra check. I like that as a taxpayer and if you dont I rather he doubt he cares and I certainly do not. It's the Sheriff's choice to sign or not so if you want to carry you do as he requests.
    Yeah, cause who cares about the law; I mean really who cares?

(Wayne County)

"liability that could have been avoided" wtf does that mean? He and the county are gonna get sued by people citing laws that don't exist? Seems he's catering to future anti gun laws. ....All under the guise of safety... and "you do as he requests." Well, I just don't like that one. Seemed like a decent guy. I voted for him. Guess we'll see...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    See the bold above; there's no authority in 6109 for him to delay your application for a local police check on top of the checks through 6111.
    I see this stated on here a lot and I don't agree with it. You're taking one line that states one method by which he MUST check out the applicant, and assuming that is the only method he may employ.

d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--The sheriff to whom the application is made shall:
    (1) investigate the applicant's record of criminal conviction;
    (2) investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;
    (3) investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
    (4) investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms); and
    That "and" precedes the last requirement which you consider a restriction on the sheriff. It is an additional step required, not the only step he may take. All the rest of those provisions leave him a lot of leeway in how he can conduct the investigation. Asking you for additional information is part of that.

It's kind of like saying that since the 2nd amendment makes mention of a well regulated militia, then only the well regulated militia has the right to bear arms. I'm sure you view it as I do, that the 2nd amendment is saying in addition to "a well regulate militia being necessary to the security of a free state" that the right of the people to keep and bear arms also shall not be infringed.

Just because the statements exist in the same law, doesn't mean one is limiting the rest of the provisions, but instead, is expounding on them.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    I see this stated on here a lot and I don't agree with it. You're taking one line that states one method by which he MUST check out the applicant, and assuming that is the only method he may employ.

That "and" precedes the last requirement which you consider a restriction on the sheriff. It is an additional step required, not the only step he may take. All the rest of those provisions leave him a lot of leeway in how he can conduct the investigation. Asking you for additional information is part of that.

It's kind of like saying that since the 2nd amendment makes mention of a well regulated militia, then only the well regulated militia has the right to bear arms. I'm sure you view it as I do, that the 2nd amendment is saying in addition to "a well regulate militia being necessary to the security of a free state" that the right of the people to keep and bear arms also shall not be infringed.

Just because the statements exist in the same law, doesn't mean one is limiting the rest of the provisions, but instead, is expounding on them.
    Wrong in so many ways, feel free to point out to me where in 6109 a Sheriff has the authority to reject or deny applicants that don't go through "extra" requirements 6109 doesn't provide for, furthermore go ahead and show me where 6109 imposes a duty on the applicant to comply with extra requirements not in 6109.

I'll wait for you to do so.

(Wayne County)

I am thinking of buying a home in Wayne County very soon. Am I going to have a problem here? How long does it take to get the LTCF? My concern is that coming from out of state, I am not going to have local contacts to write letters and character references in my behalf. The comments to the effect that he is freelancing on the law is of some concern. I haven't put in an offer yet, am I better off in Pike?

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonesriver1862 View Post
    I am thinking of buying a home in Wayne County very soon. Am I going to have a problem here? How long does it take to get the LTCF? My concern is that coming from out of state, I am not going to have local contacts to write letters and character references in my behalf. The comments to the effect that he is freelancing on the law is of some concern. I haven't put in an offer yet, am I better off in Pike?
    I used to live in Wayne county when the old sheriff was there. Here's how it worked then.
    You had to make an appointment to be interviewed by the sheriff. This really sucked because it made the whole process a lot longer.
    As far as references, I did give them 2 references both were not from Wayne county. They didn't contact them. It really didn't matter who I used I guess.
    It took the full 45 days. It actually took longer for me because my address was a PO box and they wouldn't send my LTCF to a PO box. I had to go to their office to pick it up.
    It took time but I did get it.

(Pike County)

I forgot to mention when I moved to Pike county, I used people from Pike as my references. They did contact them. But the whole process was only about 3 weeks to receive my LTCF in the mail.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast