Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Which M4 should I buy for MY situation.

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colt M4 Carbine

11 44.00%
  • Bushmaster M4

7 28.00%
  • Rock River Arms M4

3 12.00%
  • DPMS, STAG, or cheaper M4

4 16.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Exclamation BEST M4 POSSIBLE?

I've recently liberated myself on the fact that I probably won't be able to get to my Ak-47 if someone breaks into my house. Being lazy like I am, I'd rather just get another rifle, to double my chances of survival in case I'm attacked. I have the brutal 7.62X39mm shells in my AK, which will shoot through 16 inches of hardened pine, but what I don't have is the light-weight, smaller, more precise, higher velocity .223 shells, that I would want to maybe just take out a potential criminal's arms or legs with. So the question is, what's the best M-4 for a $1000 budget?
    And I know everyone always says "well it depends on the situation, and what you want from the gun", so the situation and demands would be:
    Let's say I'm expecting quite a few (5-7) armed unwanted guests and they don't have the best intentions in mind as far as my health is concerned. I want a rifle that is reliable, light-weight, and has very little recoil. One that can dump 5 rounds into a 4-5" pattern at 30 yards during rapid fire, and still be able to tuck around corners with.

What I think I'm looking for is a Colt M4 Carbine with a very nice muzzle brake. However this far exceeds my spending limit.
    I've been looking at Rock River Arms M4's and they seem like a good package for the price, having the shortest barrels, (from what I've heard about 'new' M4's)-the best looking nic-free finish, and the lowest price while still widely referred to as "right up there with Bushmaster and Colt."

Should I go with the Rock River?

And #2, Rock River doesn't have a threaded barrel I don't think, so where/how do I get an adapter, threads on the end? I think .5X82 is what I njeed for most silencers/muzzle brakes/ suppressors.
    I really appreciate any feedback.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: BEST M4 POSSIBLE?

First off, welcome to the board!

Personally, I have the Rock River Arms Entry Tactical model, and I absolutely love it. I recently bought a Colt 6920 Law Enforcement Carbine, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. So my answer is either Colt or RRA. I'm sure you're going to get a whole bunch of different suggestions, though.

Proud member of:

you probably want an m4 style because its got the shorter barrel and collapsible stock, it will also meet your accuracy requirements. IMO bushmaster is not as nice as stag, or rock river, and can't be said in the same sentence as a colt. My next one will be a stag. but just try to find all of the brands your interested in so you can get a feel for it, everyone likes different stuff.

just a note for you as to shooting a "potential" criminal in the arm or leg that would get you put in jail. it doesn't matter if your intent was to wound them to stop the possible threat, if you pull that trigger your life needs to be in immediate danger, just because you shoot them in the leg doesn't mean it can be considered less than lethal, and you def. wouldn't ever beable to prove that it was in court.

(Allegheny County)

I have a Bushy M4gery and really like it. Still wish I would have spent the extra bucks and got the name Colt on mine. Here a good price on an M4.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13235
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Montgomery County)

Colt or LMT.

If your expecting that many unfriendly guests, I suggest you move.

(Westmoreland County)

Colt and LMT are my favorites...but money is a issue so I choose Bushmaster as the best option for me! But I wouldn't hesitate to get a RRA, or Stag if I had a chance...all good choices and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Genaric View Post
    I've recently liberated myself on the fact that I probably won't be able to get to my Ak-47 if someone breaks into my house. Being lazy like I am, I'd rather just get another rifle, to double my chances of survival in case I'm attacked. I have the brutal 7.62X39mm shells in my AK, which will shoot through 16 inches of hardened pine, but what I don't have is the light-weight, smaller, more precise, higher velocity .223 shells, that I would want to maybe just take out a potential criminal's arms or legs with. So the question is, what's the best M-4 for a $1000 budget?

What I think I'm looking for is a Colt M4 Carbine with a very nice muzzle brake. However this far exceeds my spending limit.
    Bushmaster. However, Colt 6920's are running at about $1250 so I would advise waiting and saving a couple hundred bucks and get the Colt.

I've been looking at Rock River Arms M4's and they seem like a good package for the price, having the shortest barrels, (from what I've heard about 'new' M4's)-the best looking nic-free finish, and the lowest price while still widely referred to as "right up there with Bushmaster and Colt."
    The shortest barrel allowed by federal law is 14.5 inches. All AR manufacturers produce rifles with 14.5", 16" and 20" with a few running 18" and 24" for SPR's and varmint hunting.

A 14.5 can be owned if a MB or FH is permanently attached bringing the total OAL to 16 inches.

Don't get caught up with "fit and finish". These are fighting rifles and while cosmetics and asthetics are nice, they don't mean squat when you're life is on the line. The fit and finish on Colt's are fine. OTOH I'd much rather have a Colt 6920 with finish blemishes and scratches than any of the other brands you listed.

Should I go with the Rock River?
    No. Get a Colt or if money is truly an object get a Bushmaster.

And #2, Rock River doesn't have a threaded barrel I don't think, so where/how do I get an adapter, threads on the end? I think .5X82 is what I njeed for most silencers/muzzle brakes/ suppressors.
    I really appreciate any feedback.
    I think you're incorrect about RR's not having threaded muzzles.

P.S. A muzzle brake is ill advised on a fighting rifle. Way too noisy and although they do tame recoil, it's a moot point with the .223 cartridge. A flash hider is much more practical.

(Beaver County)

for the money, i think the stag is an awesome rifle. ive had one for a while and have nothing but good to say about it.
    ive had exp w/ a colt... and i wasnt really that impressed... i actually thought it was a bit overpriced/overrated...
    thats just my opinion, though... so take it for what its worth

oh... and welcome to the forum!

(Lawrence County)

RRA makes models with threaded barrels.

Order your rifle with a standard A2 flash suppressor and go shooting. Go Vortex or Phantom if you want even better flash control. If you don't like the recoil, a Miculek brake can be had for $40. Just thread her on. They work almost as well as brakes costing twice as much and they don't throw much flash to the top.

LycaneveryonehasafavoriteARthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post

The shortest barrel allowed by federal law is 14.5 inches.
    on ar's in general, or on any rifle?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast