Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Cool black powder experts..advice

ok im not a vergin, only have 3 muzzle loaders, a 50 cal rifle,50 cal kentucky and the new 1851 navy sheriff. all cap n ball
    my question is must i top off the cyl with lube every time?
    im using 25 g pyrex 451 ball,nice n tight, and a patch, in that order.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: black powder experts..advice

You should grease the end of the loaded chambers. A chain fire is not a fun thing, and can destroy your gun and/or hurt/kill you.

You dont need to fill the chambers, just dip a Q-tip in some sort of grease and swab the seam between the balls and chamber walls.

BTW, which manufacturer made your '51 Navy Sheriff? If its Pietta, or any importer using Pietta cap & ball guns - Pietta lists about 13 or 15grs max. Yes, even though the '51s original spec charge is 30grs for steel and about 25grs for brass frames.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tomgun1 View Post
    ok im not a vergin, only have 3 muzzle loaders, a 50 cal rifle,50 cal kentucky and the new 1851 navy sheriff. all cap n ball
    my question is must i top off the cyl with lube every time?
    im using 25 g pyrex 451 ball,nice n tight, and a patch, in that order.
    When you say you are loading a "patch" are you refering to a patch or a wad? If you are using something like "wonder wads" then no you do not need to grease over the ball. The intent of the grease is to stop crossfiring or chainfiring. This is when the fire from the chamber being fired gets past the ball or in the nipple of another chamber and sets it off. Very spectucular to watch, not so much to be holding onto.

(Lebanon County)

the greasing of the cylinder is a fairly new thing(like in the last 60years), if you get a chain fire from the front of the cylinder, something is very wrong with your setup.
    when you load the ball you shave a wee bit off the ball, this is to ensure the cylinder is sealed and the ball is tight in the bore, to prevent any creep.....creep in a black powder arm turns it into a grenade....that you hold. what size ball depends on the what the manufacturer says, they vary from one to the next...do not be temped to use a larger ball then they say...it will be hard on the loading assembly.
    the grease does more in keeping the fouling in the barrel "soft". using a greased wad behind the ball, on top of the charge does the same thing, and is much easier to deal with. and even that is not required...i have forgone the use of wads from most cylinders...every couple cylinders i'll send some through....for the fouling thing.

a chain fire comes from the rear due to incorrect caps(#10 or #11 there is a difference), use the right size. pinching the wrong size to "fit" you nipples(hehehe) is asking for bad things to come your way. proper caps fit snug all around the nipple, sealing it and making sure they stay on.
    pinched caps might stay on, but won't seal the nip....picture an oval trying to seal a circle.
    black powder was once my life....i speak with a straight tongue.
    Last edited by brian; October 17th, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Luzerne County)

I agree with Brian's post.
    Use a proper size ball - there should be a ring of lead that shaves off every one of the balls - put a Wonder Wad between the powder and the ball and use the proper size cap and you'll be fine.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...