Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default P228r = P229r Holster?

I can't seem to find a site that gives the dimensions of a P228r. From what I can gather, the 228 is slightly smaller than a 229.

I have a MTAC that I carry my SR9c in, and I was just going to buy a new shell for it, but they don't offer a 228r shell.

If I have to buy a new holster, I'll probably just go with Crossbreed.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: P228r = P229r Holster?

From my understanding they are similar in size, the 228 being smaller. I've been looking for a holster for a Sig P229r E2, which has a thinner slide dimension than the standard 229. Through the research, the best recommend holsters for the E2 are the 228r holsters. So basically the 228r is smaller to the point that it might be too loose in a 229r.
    I dont know if that answers your question.

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah, that helped. Just confirmed what I thought would happen if I stuck it in a 229 holster.

Not saying you're wrong spartakis, but IIRC the E2 Sigs have the same width frame. The only difference is they put in a shorter mainspring, a thinner hammer strut, the short reset trigger and the thinner profile grips. I think there were some changes to the decocking lever and slide release as well but I don't remember exactly.

And OP, if you do go with a crossbreed supertuck, I have a supertuck deluxe that I carry my 226E2 in and sometimes I'll carry my 225 (which is actually a variant of the 220) in the supertuck. It's not a perfect fit, but it still maintains good retention and it really doesn't wobble because the supertuck is flexible enough that it hugs the gun when you've got your holster on and belt snug. So I would say it would probably hold it, although that's just an assumption.

And if you ever get sick of the E2 grips, they come off fairly easily and the screw holes for the old style grips are still there and you can put aftermarket ones on... at least that's the way the 226 is.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; January 22nd, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I bought a holster with the gun that's actually for a 226/220.

It fits with a lot of extra room near the muzzle. It just rides too high for my liking.

I'm just going to order a Supertuck for it, I liked the turn around time from CompTac more than Crossbreed.

(Philadelphia County)

Well, I ordered a holster from Oldfaithful holsters for a 229r.

Gunnersalley lists the specs and they're exactly the same as a P229.

I figure if it doesn't fit for some reason, I can reform the kydex to the 228. I bought the 229 kit for 32$ so I'm not totally throwing money away if it doesn't work.

(Northampton County)

Try top gun supply. Brian / EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigSauer226 View Post
    Not saying you're wrong spartakis, but IIRC the E2 Sigs have the same width frame. The only difference is they put in a shorter mainspring, a thinner hammer strut, the short reset trigger and the thinner profile grips. I think there were some changes to the decocking lever and slide release as well but I don't remember exactly.

And OP, if you do go with a crossbreed supertuck, I have a supertuck deluxe that I carry my 226E2 in and sometimes I'll carry my 225 (which is actually a variant of the 220) in the supertuck. It's not a perfect fit, but it still maintains good retention and it really doesn't wobble because the supertuck is flexible enough that it hugs the gun when you've got your holster on and belt snug. So I would say it would probably hold it, although that's just an assumption.

And if you ever get sick of the E2 grips, they come off fairly easily and the screw holes for the old style grips are still there and you can put aftermarket ones on... at least that's the way the 226 is.
    On the 229 they made slide slimmer by .1", which I think makes it the same as the 228, but yes the frame is the same. They went back to the regular slide for the standard line that has the new grips.

Edit: That only applies for the 229 slide the 226 has all the same dimensions save for whatever they changed to make the grips fit. They changed the slide dimensions on the 229 when they put the full serrations on the 229 E2 which I think is what the 228 slide has. I'll have to double check from all the sites I was looking at the 229 E2 on.
    Last edited by spartakis252; January 23rd, 2012 at 02:20 PM.

(Montgomery County)

i have a 229 enhanced elite and im using a blade tech holster for a 229. it draws faster then a regular 229 but works well.