Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: H & R Model 929

Default Re: H & R Model 929

I have a H&R 929 and was wondering if it matters whether you use shorts or longs in it ?

(Northampton County)

This model was designed, engineered and built to handle .22 rim fire - short, long or long rifle HI-SPEED cartridges. Assuming it's in good SAFE shooting condition - you should be safe shooting any or all of those. Note the emphasis on SAFE condition.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    Ernie,
    AE indicates YOM of 1968. I have one with serial number AF82275 that is NIB with the paper work. email me your emailing address and I will take close up pictures of the four pages of the factory instruction manual and email them to you. As to finding a schematic - as posted by Buckmark, just previous to this posting, Numrich posts exploded diagrams of most of the H&R firearms on their site. However, the one they have posted for the Model 929 is the last version with the transfer bar ignition system. Yours should have a hammer mounted firing pin - and most of the fire control/lock work parts are different than the post 1973 models.
    check out this picture to verify yours is what we're talking about:
    http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/2f...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
    http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/2f...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
    I also have a 929 that I received from a relative. The barrel is loose enough for me to twist it by hand, and it needs a rear sight blade (which I have not been able to find anywhere...your suggestions on where to look are appreciated...Numrich has none.)

The serial number begins with AN12 so am I safe in presuming it was manufactured in 1977? (It does have the transfer bar striker system)

I was thinking of having it re-blued (finish needs help), and keeping it around as a plinker, since it has no historical value.

I am enough of a machinist that I can drive out the pin and remove the barrel, but how should I go about tightening up the barrel/frame fit? I could peen/punch the barrel just a bit, but there would be no guarantee that it would end up straight in the frame.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Hello i have a 929 the S# is 3694.
    the cylinder is a little loose if you can send me a parts list and point me in the right direction for replacement part that would be great.
    also what would be the manufacture year?

Wes

(Centre County)

Try Numrich Gun Parts:
    The URL to the H&R 929 is:
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=1560z929

I sincerely hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Scott

(Centre County)

Whoops, I see Buckmark had already given you the same URL. Sorry for the repeat.

That's me...day late and a dollar short!
    Cheers,
    Scott

(Dauphin County)

I know this is off topic, but I saw the subject in the forums and had to comment. I have an older 929, not sure of the serial because I'm at work.. but just wanted to say that has to be one of the most reliable guns I've ever shot. Never once had a problem with it. Must have puts 10's of thousands of rounds through it in the last 15 years, it's what I learned to shoot on. Ammo's cheap and the gun is reliable. I have no idea how many rounds were put through it by the father, who originally had the gun, or the owner before him, probably my grandfather, but it's still holding up and shooting relatively accurately. My finish is getting pretty oxidized, the barrel turns a little bit in my hand, the grips have broken, but nothing has impaired the gun from shooting well and reliably. Just wanted to throw out some Kudos to this gun!

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    Ernie,
    If you supply the serial number (or at least the first 4 numbers) including any letter code prefixes, I can tell you which variation you have. There were at least 5 variations of this model made from its introduction circa 1952, and each one had some significant changes.
    Hello Jim! I got my first Sidekick while still living in NJ, probably in the 70's. Today I picked up a 929 from a private seller at a gun show. It would not go single action unless you really forced the hammer back. I took it apart and there was a little plastic nub on the mainspring shoe that was causing all the trouble. That fixed, I studied the locking mechanism. A key is now on order from Numrich.
    The serial number is AF68103. Do you know the year of manufacture?
    I love these H&R's!
    Regards, Ray in FLA

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by rbrandes View Post
    Hello Jim! I got my first Sidekick while still living in NJ, probably in the 70's. Today I picked up a 929 from a private seller at a gun show. It would not go single action unless you really forced the hammer back. I took it apart and there was a little plastic nub on the mainspring shoe that was causing all the trouble. That fixed, I studied the locking mechanism. A key is now on order from Numrich.
    The serial number is AF68103. Do you know the year of manufacture?
    I love these H&R's!
    Regards, Ray in FLA
    AF would be 1969.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

This morning, I just picked up a 929, complete with original box and paperwork. Serial number is AY12xxxx.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast