Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Florida no longer accepting DD214 or Hunter Safety??

I saw this posted on a website for a trainer in Philadlephia area. Bold is from the OTHER trainers website.

The Florida Division of Licensing (Website Contact: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/contacts/index.html Florida CCW Application Processing Unit Phone: 850-245-5691. Division's Legal Dept. Phone: 850-245-5491) is no longer recognizing military honorable discharge papers, DD-214 certificates, or copies of Military IDs (active duty) as proof of firearms safety training that fulfills the education requirements of the Florida Statutes. Likewise, they are no longer recognizing any Hunter Safety certificates, nor are they accepting proof of being an active duty or retired law enforcement officer as valid proof of acceptable firearms training.

http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/ccw/CCW01.html

The Florida website and their current Concealed Weapons Permit application packet does not reference this.

Do any of the other instructors, knowledgeable folk, lawyers, etc. have any enlightenment on this? I want to make sure I am providing my students the most accurate information. Many times I am turning students away because they have items such as a DD214, etc. I do have an email into Florida also about this matter.

I can't in good conscience take their money if they allready qualify unless they merely want to take the class for added training. We are still offering fingerprints, notary, photos, etc. for applicants who allready have acceptable training that meets FL requirements for a reduced fee.

gbrown221
    Utah CFP Instructor
    info@team-life.org
    www.team-life.org
    Last edited by gbrown221; October 17th, 2010 at 04:17 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Florida no longer accepting DD214 or Hunter Safety??

The corresponding statue doesn't look any different either. Looking over the site for new bills....

ETA: I see one bill that would have changed some things in that statute...but acceptable training requirements were not any of those things..only fingerprints...and that bill died in committee

S0136

ETA: FWIW...I googled " is no longer recognizing military honorable discharge papers, DD-214 certificates," and only got 2 direct hits...this thread....and Eimer's website.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; October 16th, 2010 at 11:18 PM.

(Monroe County)

Bad part is I can see why they stopped. At least with the Navy a good 80% don't know muzzle from breach. Untill I got on the rilfe team I never even got any instruction inc the BS bootcamp class.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Warren County)

I just received my Florida CCW, mailed it out 16 days ago and I used my DD214 as proof. It showed up in my mailbox yesterday no questions whatsoever concerning my DD214 or training.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    I saw this posted on a website for a trainer in Philadlephia area. Bold is from the other trainers website.

The Florida Division of Licensing (Website Contact: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/contacts/index.html Florida CCW Application Processing Unit Phone: 850-245-5691. Division's Legal Dept. Phone: 850-245-5491) is no longer recognizing military honorable discharge papers, DD-214 certificates, or copies of Military IDs (active duty) as proof of firearms safety training that fulfills the education requirements of the Florida Statutes. Likewise, they are no longer recognizing any Hunter Safety certificates, nor are they accepting proof of being an active duty or retired law enforcement officer as valid proof of acceptable firearms training.

http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/ccw/CCW01.html

The Florida website and their current Concealed Weapons Permit application packet does not reference this.

Do any of the other instructors, knowledgeable folk, lawyers, etc. have any enlightenment on this? I want to make sure I am providing my students the most accurate information. Many times I am turning students away because they have items such as a DD214, etc. I do have an email into Florida also about this matter.

I can't in good conscience take their money if they allready qualify unless they merely want to take the class for added training. We are still offering fingerprints, notary, photos, etc. for applicants who allready have training for a reduced fee.

gbrown221
    Utah CFP Instructor
    info@team-life.org
    www.team-life.org
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Bucks County)

If he had JUST said they no longer accept Hunter safety i would believed it...but even then they can't 'just stop accepting" it...they have to change the statute.

(Delaware County)

On the DD214, it lists your firearms training. The badge(s) that you were awarded.

(Jefferson County)

I think that training site is full of crap. FL's Dept of Agriculture, and statutes, still list the DD214 and hunter safety course as viable proof of training. That company is doing some false advertising.

FL Law:
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...s/0790.06.html

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.
    (2)The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:
    (h)Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
    1.Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    5.Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I think that training site is full of crap. FL's Dept of Agriculture, and statutes, still list the DD214 and hunter safety course as viable proof of training. That company is doing some false advertising.

That was my thoughts also....I was just waiting to see if someone came up with ANYTHING confirming what he said.

I also just sent this instructor an email asking for his source on this info.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; October 17th, 2010 at 02:06 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I emailed them a couple weeks ago and they said my hunters ed would work

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    That was my thoughts also....I was just waiting to see if someone came up with ANYTHING confirming what he said.

I also just sent this instructor an email asking for his source on this info.
    probably a gun store !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast