Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Schuylkill County)

Default S&W Bodyguard .38 reviews..

Anybody have any reviews on it? I'm looking into getting a new snubby, and the Bodyguard .38 really catches my eye, and feels good in the hand. I don't particularly care for the way you activate the laser, but it's a minute point. I like the way it handles and all... But I haven't heard much feedback on these yet.. (I tried searching)

III%

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: S&W Bodyguard .38 reviews..

There are tons of reviews all over the interwebz... your google-fu must be weak today.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    There are tons of reviews all over the interwebz... your google-fu must be weak today.
    I'm talking about here.. I don't care what Richard in Wyoming, or Tina in Arizona has to say.. I'm looking for personal reviews on here from people who have used them.
    III%

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    I'm talking about here.. I don't care what Richard in Wyoming, or Tina in Arizona has to say.. I'm looking for personal reviews on here from people who have used them.
    I've shot one - have seen some reviews on here, most seem postitive. I opted not to get one because I thought it looked a bit strange - and like you said, a horrible position for the laser on. I don't know why S&W didn't put the on switch in the grip on both the 38 and the 380. I bought the BG 380 and had to send it back 3 times to get the laser switch fixed so it would turn on. After that, I am ok with the gun, but hate the trigger - very long and squishy pull. Not sure what the trigger on the 38 is like. Hopefully someone will have some more feedback - my bottom line was that for the price, I think I could do better with a LCR or a nice airweight s&w. But if you are good with the looks, the on switch and the price - I personally don't think you can go wrong with it as far as reliability. Good luck.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I've shot one - have seen some reviews on here, most seem postitive. I opted not to get one because I thought it looked a bit strange - and like you said, a horrible position for the laser on. I don't know why S&W didn't put the on switch in the grip on both the 38 and the 380. I bought the BG 380 and had to send it back 3 times to get the laser switch fixed so it would turn on. After that, I am ok with the gun, but hate the trigger - very long and squishy pull. Not sure what the trigger on the 38 is like. Hopefully someone will have some more feedback - my bottom line was that for the price, I think I could do better with a LCR or a nice airweight s&w. But if you are good with the looks, the on switch and the price - I personally don't think you can go wrong with it as far as reliability. Good luck.
    Thanks. I'm considering the 637 as well, but I kinda like the way the bodyguard feels and all. If I'd get the 637, I'd have to get a different grip to fit my larger hands right... the BG seems to be a bit longer. I'm not sure yet, I'm kinda torn..
    III%

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    but hate the trigger - very long and squishy pull. Not sure what the trigger on the 38 is like. Hopefully someone will have some more feedback .
    The trigger is the same way on th bodyguard ( very long and squishy pull )

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Now wait just a minute, I know Tina in Arizona, and she always said nice things to me.

(Elk County)

No 38/357 alloy-frame J-Frame S&Ws for me anymore.

Since the 70s I've owned two 38/357 "airweight" alloy-framed J-Frame S&Ws that ended up with cracked frames underneath where the barrel threads into the frame. I did NOT fire super-honkin full-house loads in either of them, but I don't know what the previous owners did.

Sold the other three "Airweight" 38s after that. I kept one J-Frame, a Model 60 SS 2" snub and two Model 317s, a 2" and a 3". I know the 317s are alloy, but I'm hoping the 22LR cartridge doesn't stress the system as much as 38/357 cartridges do.

YMMV.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Schuylkill County)

Thanks for the info guys.. I may just decide to go with the 637 or LCR then.

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Now wait just a minute, I know Tina in Arizona, and she always said nice things to me.
    Tool..
    III%

(Montgomery County)

If you were thinking along the lines of the BG 38 consider the 642/442 as it is mechanically closer to the bodyguard then the 637. Some may contest this, yet I see no need whatsoever for a hammer that can be cocked. I see far too many people at the range "being lazy" and using that hammer spur to shoot single action for more then I see double action shooting.

A weapon of the size and purpose like the Smith J frame is to be shot double action only. It is a hard skill to become proficient at, yet in any competition or defense scenario double action only will be the only way to shoot. It takes time, ammo and concentration to learn double action revolver shooting. However, once the double action revolver is mastered (with the requisite trigger control mastered as well) all other handguns will also benefit from the shooters ability.

(BTW, whenever you see someone with a revolver in their holster with a bobbed hammer, they are more often then not one hell of a shooter.)
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast