Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: S&W Bodyguard .38 reviews..

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    I'm talking about here.. I don't care what Richard in Wyoming, or Tina in Arizona has to say.. I'm looking for personal reviews on here from people who have used them.
    Now wait just a minute, I know Tina in Arizona, and she always said nice things to me.

(Elk County)

No 38/357 alloy-frame J-Frame S&Ws for me anymore.

Since the 70s I've owned two 38/357 "airweight" alloy-framed J-Frame S&Ws that ended up with cracked frames underneath where the barrel threads into the frame. I did NOT fire super-honkin full-house loads in either of them, but I don't know what the previous owners did.

Sold the other three "Airweight" 38s after that. I kept one J-Frame, a Model 60 SS 2" snub and two Model 317s, a 2" and a 3". I know the 317s are alloy, but I'm hoping the 22LR cartridge doesn't stress the system as much as 38/357 cartridges do.

YMMV.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Schuylkill County)

Thanks for the info guys.. I may just decide to go with the 637 or LCR then.

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Now wait just a minute, I know Tina in Arizona, and she always said nice things to me.
    Tool..
    III%

(Montgomery County)

If you were thinking along the lines of the BG 38 consider the 642/442 as it is mechanically closer to the bodyguard then the 637. Some may contest this, yet I see no need whatsoever for a hammer that can be cocked. I see far too many people at the range "being lazy" and using that hammer spur to shoot single action for more then I see double action shooting.

A weapon of the size and purpose like the Smith J frame is to be shot double action only. It is a hard skill to become proficient at, yet in any competition or defense scenario double action only will be the only way to shoot. It takes time, ammo and concentration to learn double action revolver shooting. However, once the double action revolver is mastered (with the requisite trigger control mastered as well) all other handguns will also benefit from the shooters ability.

(BTW, whenever you see someone with a revolver in their holster with a bobbed hammer, they are more often then not one hell of a shooter.)
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    If you were thinking along the lines of the BG 38 consider the 642/442 as it is mechanically closer to the bodyguard then the 637. Some may contest this, yet I see no need whatsoever for a hammer that can be cocked. I see far too many people at the range "being lazy" and using that hammer spur to shoot single action for more then I see double action shooting.

A weapon of the size and purpose like the Smith J frame is to be shot double action only. It is a hard skill to become proficient at, yet in any competition or defense scenario double action only will be the only way to shoot. It takes time, ammo and concentration to learn double action revolver shooting. However, once the double action revolver is mastered (with the requisite trigger control mastered as well) all other handguns will also benefit from the shooters ability.

(BTW, whenever you see someone with a revolver in their holster with a bobbed hammer, they are more often then not one hell of a shooter.)
    I had a 637 for a few months. I recently traded it off and put a 642 on lay away. The 637 was a great gun. I had originally wanted a 642 but found a good deal on the 637. There really is no need for an exposed hammer on these guns, but my friends thought shooting it SA was cool when I'd take them to the range.

Either would serve you well, I reguard both highly, definitely my favorite pocket gun. If you can get a 637 cheap I see no reason to spring for a 642, but retail is usually right around the same price point.

I'm a big fan of either. I'd shy from the Bodyguard only because it's untested. And the goofy laser.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I had a 637 for a few months. I recently traded it off and put a 642 on lay away. The 637 was a great gun. I had originally wanted a 642 but found a good deal on the 637. There really is no need for an exposed hammer on these guns, but my friends thought shooting it SA was cool when I'd take them to the range.

Either would serve you well, I reguard both highly, definitely my favorite pocket gun. If you can get a 637 cheap I see no reason to spring for a 642, but retail is usually right around the same price point.

I'm a big fan of either. I'd shy from the Bodyguard only because it's untested. And the goofy laser.
    Exactly my situation.. I can get the 637 at a pretty good deal, which is kinda hard not to lean towards. I preferably don't want a hammer, but it doesn't matter too much one way or the other. I'll have to check into the 642/442's a little bit more. I haven't had the chance to look at them closely.

Thanks for the suggestions on them rwb and Steve!
    III%

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Exactly my situation.. I can get the 637 at a pretty good deal, which is kinda hard not to lean towards. I preferably don't want a hammer, but it doesn't matter too much one way or the other. I'll have to check into the 642/442's a little bit more. I haven't had the chance to look at them closely.

Thanks for the suggestions on them rwb and Steve!
    Well if you can get it for a good price pick it up and see if you mind the hammer. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.

Some people would contend that the hammer is a snagging point when drawing the gun. I never had a problem once and I pocket carried 99% of the time. If you don't like the hammer take it to a gunsmith and have him chop it off. Steve recommended the exact thing to me when I got my 637.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/10...ml#post1271137
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Schuylkill County)

Well, I went to the shop last night and put two 642's on order. I really wanted the black finish of the 442, but eventually it will start to rub, so I figured the 642 would hold up a bit better over time.

They could be in as early as Friday!
    III%

(Allegheny County)

Also look at the S&W 638, concealed hammer for ease of draw and it still gives you the ability to thumb cock it, should you ever need or want too.

Options, options, options,
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Northampton County)

What do you guys know about the finish of the S&W 642 vs. the finish of the 442? Will the black finish show noticeable wear mark over time especially the cylinder drag line? Would I be better off getting the 642? I am thinking about getting a Hogue wood grip and I think the 642 looks better with the wood.
    How does the gun shoot with a wood grip or is it just for show? I was thinking about a BG 38 /w laser but I don't know.
    Last edited by manthony4563; November 24th, 2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast