Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Maine

Default Trip to Maine

If a Pennsylvanian with a LTCF would travel to Maine, and that person wanted to take a firearm, and assuming that person followed all interstate transportation law regarding same, would it then be legal in the state of Maine to possess that firearm, loaded, for personal protection, in a Hotel? Would it then be legal to openly carry said firearm in the state of Maine? Also, would it then be legal to openly carry said firearm, unloaded, in a vehicle in the state of Maine?

(Adams County)

Default Re: Trip to Maine

That seems like it should be OK, but I suggest checking the state laws in Maine to be sure.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Bradford County)

well-according to pa's reciprocity agreements,maine doesn't honor pa's ltcf,so no you can't carry your weapon in that state.

(Philadelphia County)

maine allows for open carry and you can also obtain a Non Resident Maine Carry Permit. Maine non resident permit is good for 5 years.

you need NRA Basic Pistol Class as prerequisate for a Maine License

It took less then 3 weeks when I applied for my Maine Non Resident permit

Regards

Greg
    NRA Instructor

I know to carry concealed in Maine cannot be done without a Maine permit to carry. The specific question is whether a person could transport a firearm from PA and upon arrival in Maine legally possess that weapon, loaded, in his/her hotel room for personal protection. And also, is it legal once that person arrives in Maine, to open carry and/or carry that weapon, unloaded, in a vehicle?

I sent an email to the state of Maine and received this response. It appears that this particular county is quite firearm friendly. My only issue is that I will be doing a one night layover in the communist state of Massachusetts. It appears I will be reduced to carrying SOG knives, expandable police batons, etc. for this trip. However, if we were to drive straight through, with no layovers in commie states, I feel confident open carry, and having a firearm in a hotel room, not concealed, would be just fine.

Here is the response from a Chief Deputy at the Sheriff's office....

"Open carry is legal in Maine.

Concealed carry requires a permit.

Yes, you may have the firearm in your hotel room as long as it is not concealed on your person within the room or when you leave.

Enjoy Maine when you arrive, and I hope you have nice weather. "
    Last edited by ansehnlich1; July 21st, 2010 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ansehnlich1 View Post
    My only issue is that I will be doing a one night layover in the communist state of Massachusetts.
    Overnight in Mass is show-stopper. Perhaps re-route just a bit and spend that night in Vermont or New Hampshire??

(Warren County)

I'm heading up to Maine in about a week, so this was a very interesting posting. How strict is Mass if I just drive straight thru?

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Overnight in Mass is show-stopper. Perhaps re-route just a bit and spend that night in Vermont or New Hampshire??
    Tim , USAF Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    I thought staying the night in a prohibited state (when your destination is a state in which you could legally have the weapon), seems to be legal under the Firearms Owners' Protection Act.

From NRA-ILA's site:

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered. FOPA also seems to provide for necessary stops, like gasoline and rest.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest.
    Emphasis added. "Seems" I believe indicates that this part of the law has not been tested in court.

Excerpt the section about Massachusetts:

Nonresidents may possess rifles, shotguns and “ammunition therefor” without a license or FID while traveling in or through the Commonwealth, provided that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and enclosed in a case. A nonresident without a license or FID may also carry or possess “conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor” if the person meets the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which he or she resides.
    Of course it also says there are a number of exceptions and other problems with transporting through MA, "Prospective travelers are urged to contact the Massachusetts Firearms Records Bureau at (617)660-4780 or the State Police at www.mass.gov/msp/firearms/ for further information."

These are some muddy waters, indeed.

I am not a lawyer, and this is not advice legal or otherwise.

I went to Maine. I took my Kahr PM9. We drove to Dover NH and stayed the night there, then went on up into Maine.

All these carry laws suck. Funny how ya go from PA to NY and have to unload, lock it up, etc., pass through CT and MA then reach NH and jam the mag in, load one in the chamber, and you're ready to go.

I didn't oc in Maine though. It appears, however, that there is an oc movement going on up there, as there is here in PA. The anti-gun crowd is alive and well in this great nation. We need to move forward with protecting our right to 'keep and bear arms'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast