Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Adjustable sights - Do you?

I was pondering the meaning of the universe the other day when I came to the realization that I have several pistols with adjustable sights, yet I've never adjusted any of them. I've never owned a pistol that was that far off that I felt the need to adjust the sight. Mostly I just adjust my way of shooting for that gun.

Rifle sights out of whack? No problem. Grab the screwdriver or hammer and punch and few turns or taps later - back in business. Pistol sights slightly off to the left - aim slightly right.

So do you adjust the sights or the way you shoot that gun?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Adjustable sights - Do you?

if a service revolver is off, i adjust to it. however it they has an adjustable rear sight, i adjust it.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I was pondering the meaning of the universe the other day when I came to the realization that I have several pistols with adjustable sights, yet I've never adjusted any of them. I've never owned a pistol that was that far off that I felt the need to adjust the sight. Mostly I just adjust my way of shooting for that gun.

Rifle sights out of whack? No problem. Grab the screwdriver or hammer and punch and few turns or taps later - back in business. Pistol sights slightly off to the left - aim slightly right.

sights !!!

(Montgomery County)

I adjust the sights so that the bullet impacts exactly just above the front sight at 10 meters. However, I have had and do have many fixed sight handguns that have needed no adjustment whatsoever.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Susquehanna County)

Depends on the gun and what I'm shooting.

My fixed sight pistols I use Kentucky windage. These are typically used for IDPA where ranges are pretty close.

My adjustable sighted pistols used in IDPA all have no-wind zeros for 25 yards with my "standard" handload and I know that at the near distances in IDPA I need to hold just a little low. But, if I find the gun is shooting left or right during the initial zero I'll make the adjustment.

My Bullseye guns are dialled in for 50 yards and I know how many clicks down to get to 25 yards zero, on top of that each shot is called during the slow-fire event and if the call and shot don't match I'll make an adjustment, as long as I know I haven't pushed, pulled or jerked the shot.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

The Only handgun that I have ever needed to adjust sights on was my S&W 22A-1. Right out of the box it shot way low and slightly right. Sighted in at 15 yards so the point of impact was sitting right on top of the front sight. I've shot all my other guns from a mechanical pistol rest at 25 yards when I got them and they where all impacting at point of aim. None of them needed any adjusting except my S&W.

Just to be clear, my rest is a big, heavy, monstrous contraption that i lock the grip of the pistol into. It has a small shock absorber that absorbs the recoil. I built it out of motorcycle parts I had lying around so I could get a good test on how tight a guns' groupings are without having to rely on a human except for aiming. Interesting little rig.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Allegheny County)

To those referring to "fixed" sights, are you talking like night sights and the like? If so, they are driftable so you do not have to figure out how to aim each gun you own.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    The Only handgun that I have ever needed to adjust sights on was my S&W 22A-1. Right out of the box it shot way low and slightly right. Sighted in at 15 yards so the point of impact was sitting right on top of the front sight. I've shot all my other guns from a mechanical pistol rest at 25 yards when I got them and they where all impacting at point of aim. None of them needed any adjusting except my S&W.

Just to be clear, my rest is a big, heavy, monstrous contraption that i lock the grip of the pistol into. It has a small shock absorber that absorbs the recoil. I built it out of motorcycle parts I had lying around so I could get a good test on how tight a guns' groupings are without having to rely on a human except for aiming. Interesting little rig.

WE NEED PICTURES!!! (please!)
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Luzerne County)

The sights.
    My Bullseye guns are dialled in for 50 yards and I know how many clicks down to get to 25 yards zero, on top of that each shot is called during the slow-fire event and if the call and shot don't match I'll make an adjustment, as long as I know I haven't pushed, pulled or jerked the shot.
    +1 about that.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; October 17th, 2010 at 08:02 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Westmoreland County)

I absoulutely adjust my sights. Also, almost every pistol I own now has adjustable sights. Even my carry guns have Bo-Mars on them.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast