Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Talking the new ruger sr9

has anyone heard anything about this gun? its rugers first striker fired pistol.

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: the new ruger sr9

Can you define in simple terms what a striker fired pistol is?

(Philadelphia County)

no hammer.

(Centre County)

you needs to keep up with the current event son
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pistols-4...ruger-sr9.html
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Can you define in simple terms what a striker fired pistol is?

Like rugerp95 said, a striker-fired pistol has no hammer. Basically the striker is a spring-loaded firing pin that hits the primer, as opposed to a more "traditional" setup where a hammer hits the firing pin which in turn hits the primer. Basically it's sorta cutting out the middle man, you might say.

The only downside to a striker fired pistol (and I think it's a small one) is that typically the striker is cocked only with the rearward movement of the slide. And with some striker-fired pistols like Glocks, the trigger resets during this motion as well. This means that if you have a light primer strike or a primer that fails to go off, you can't take another stab at igniting it unless you manually move the slide rearward. This means you have to either pull the slide back just enough to cock the striker so you can try the problematic round again, or cycle the slide completely to chamber a fresh round. A traditional double-action pistol on the other hand, will allow you pull the trigger again and attempt to hopefully ingite the primer on the second strike. Likewise, a single action pistol can be recocked with minimal fuss for a second attempt.

Of course this is all assuming that unreliable primers are an issue with you. I personally have never experienced any kind of primer malfunction.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    Like rugerp95 said, a striker-fired pistol has no hammer. Basically the striker is a spring-loaded firing pin that hits the primer, as opposed to a more "traditional" setup where a hammer hits the firing pin which in turn hits the primer. Basically it's sorta cutting out the middle man, you might say.

The only downside to a striker fired pistol (and I think it's a small one) is that typically the striker is cocked only with the rearward movement of the slide. And with some striker-fired pistols like Glocks, the trigger resets during this motion as well. This means that if you have a light primer strike or a primer that fails to go off, you can't take another stab at igniting it unless you manually move the slide rearward. This means you have to either pull the slide back just enough to cock the striker so you can try the problematic round again, or cycle the slide completely to chamber a fresh round. A traditional double-action pistol on the other hand, will allow you pull the trigger again and attempt to hopefully ingite the primer on the second strike. Likewise, a single action pistol can be recocked with minimal fuss for a second attempt.

Of course this is all assuming that unreliable primers are an issue with you. I personally have never experienced any kind of primer malfunction.
    While above statement is very true, lets face it. How many of us had a issue with any halfway decent ammo fail to go bang?
    I have been shooting many years, and I have yet to come across the failed to bang because of light primer strike or bad primer in general.

Ofcouse, this does not mean it don't happen. Just that I've personaly never seen one. Can you imagin the lawsue because someone in selfdefence situation was killed or wounded, because their ammo failed to go bang? I'm sure ammo manufactures are well aware of that possibility.
    I myself likes striker fired gun. But I like DA gun as well. they have plus and minus.
    I personaly likes the light trigger of true SA striker fired gun like my M&P.
    But I like DA/SA on my 3913 as well
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Bedford County)

I have never had a problem with guns that had no second strike capability. To me it's a non-issue. I have had less than 5 rounds in my life fail to go off with the first strike...and if I ever had one fail... I'm not gonna stand there and click, click, click the trigger to see if it works the second or third time. I'm racking the slide and gettin' me a fresh round. Thats how I train.