Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Thumbs up Police Chief decides not to charge man

To say the least, I was impressed to hear this from the police chief. My understanding has always been this is one stupid and crazy move, to fire a gun to simply threaten someone in a situation where your life is not in immediate danger. A lot of cops would have screamed wreckless endangerment and revoked this mans LTC.

Shot fired: At one point during the chase, Mckinley fired a shot in the air in the area of River Road, the affidavit states, but no one was hurt. At 5:09 a.m., Mckinley called 911 to inform them he'd stopped the stolen truck in the 900 block of Cly Road and ordered the thief out of it at gunpoint. A 911 dispatcher advised Mckinley to put his Ruger .357 magnum in a nearby mailbox and wait for police, according to the affidavit. Officer Michael Bosco arrived on scene, took temporary custody of McKinley's gun from a nearby mailbox and arrested Becker, police said.

No gun charge: Newberry Township Police Chief John Snyder said Mckinley was legally carrying the gun and isn't facing charges for the Sunday-morning incident. He confirmed a township ordinance prohibits firing weapons. "I'm not interested in pursuing charges against somebody who is stopping someone from committing a felony," Snyder said. "(Mckinley) did not have the intent to harm anyone --he was trying to get Becker to stop. He was doing what he thought he had to do. And luckily, he did get (Becker) to stop, because the guy was extremely intoxicated. We could have been investigating a fatal accident." Snyder said he doesn't recommend people take police matters into their own hands, and especially doesn't recommend people fire guns to protect a piece of property, even if they fire into the air. "But on the other hand, I wasn't in (Mckinley's) shoes and it's easy for me to second-guess while I'm sitting at my desk," the chief said. "I don't see where that's negligent or illegal conduct. ... If he would have shot at the car, that would be a different thing."

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_16310...ce=most_viewed

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Police Chief decides not to charge man

Hmmm, this story has some good and bad. Nice to see a CHIEF side with a firearm owner.
    I wonder though,,,it was said "no one was hurt". How do they know for sure? I mean that bullet has got to come down somewhere. A falling piece of lead that size coming down at gravities speed CAN kill someone.

ALso, it was said "I don't see where that's negligent or illegal conduct.
    Well actually IT IS BOTH. The twp ordinance states that discharge of firearms is ILLEGAL.

Anyway it is a good out come for all I suppose.

Was the gun put into a regular USPS blue mail box? Hope the police got to it before the daily mail pick-up...LOL!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(York County)

Haha, well it was almost 6am and they did go to the mailbox first. I totally agree with you, everything you said,both good and bad while refreshing to hear a chief side with a firearm owner, PA has a good track record in our favor.

wouldn't putting the firearm in a mailbox be against federal USPS regulations of approved usage.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Montgomery County)

Exclamation Re: Police Chief decides not to charge man

didnt mythbusters de bunk the air bullett.
    something about terminal volicity @ 120mph or fps?, wouldnt pierce a watermellon.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tomgun1 View Post
    didnt mythbusters de bunk the air bullett.
    something about terminal volicity @ 120mph or fps?, wouldnt pierce a watermellon.
    Actually there have been real cases of people being killed from a falling bullet that was fired into the air. Also a member here had one fall on his truck. If you saw the dent it left you would probably decide that you wouldn't want it falling on your head.

Here's one:http://www.clickorlando.com/news/4084756/detail.html
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; October 16th, 2010 at 06:06 PM.

(York County)

River Hills along the Susquehanna river.
    I'm familiar with the area well, You can literally shoot a handgun up AND be shooting directly to the ground.

It's the reporting stating it was up in the air.

Chief made a good call, I've known him personally for upwards of 20 years. He always had an even keel in judgement.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(York County)

I’ve never understood this "discharging a firearm in the township is illegal" stuff. Doesn't that put someone defending them selves with a firearm in direct conflict with the law. So it's OK to defend yourself with a firearm as long as you don't actually fire it???
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun