Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Would I be breaking the law?

My son goes to Preschool at a church. Next to the church is a High School.

I work outside for the most part. My work days sometimes get short. I'd like to hit the range between the time I get off work and have to pick up my son. I also CC. I would NEVER take a gun into a school.

Would I be breaking the law if I had my range guns and CC gun locked in my car while going into the Preschool to pick up my son?

I did read the Sticky on CC and OC.
    Off-limits places in PA and what makes them off-limits:
    2a.*Grounds and buildings of Elementary and Secondary schools(K-12 grades), whether the school is private or public. There is an affirmative defense for "other lawful purposes" however there is no case law determining on what that includes. To be safe, its wiser to assume it does not include our carrying "rights". - PA Title 18, Chapter 9, Subsection 912
    2b. Within 1000ft of a school unless you have a license/permit issued by the state in which the school is located - US Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, Subsection 922(q)

All I'm looking to do is save a time running home to drop of my guns before I pick up my son.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Would I be breaking the law?

Quote Originally Posted by JMIS View Post

I work outside for the most part. My work days sometimes get short. I'd like to hit the range between the time I get off work and have to pick up my son. I also CC. I would NEVER take a gun into a school.

Would I be breaking the law if I had my range guns and CC gun locked in my car while going into the Preschool to pick up my son?

2a.*Grounds and buildings of Elementary and Secondary schools(K-12 grades), whether the school is private or public. There is an affirmative defense for "other lawful purposes" however there is no case law determining on what that includes. To be safe, its wiser to assume it does not include our carrying "rights". - PA Title 18, Chapter 9, Subsection 912
    2b. Within 1000ft of a school unless you have a license/permit issued by the state in which the school is located - US Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, Subsection 922(q)

All I'm looking to do is save a time running home to drop of my guns before I pick up my son.
    DO you have your "permit" in the state of PA? or from another state that has reciprocity with pa?

(Berks County)

I have a PA permit. I've had it 19 yrs.

(Berks County)

If the church is not part of the school I would say you are fine (assuming you have a LTCF from PA, bolded important part)

As for "Other lawful purpose", I would assume self defense is a lawful purpose; however, if you do not want to be the case test I would not recommend carrying.
    Last edited by Fraggle09027; October 16th, 2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: more bold
    Fraggle09027 is not a lawyer. Any advice is just advice (my own 2 cents) and is not expressed or implied as legal advice.

(Jefferson County)

Nevermind... just woke up..

Pre-school beside real school... just have a LTCF from PA..
    Last edited by knight0334; October 16th, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Nevermind... just woke up..

Pre-school beside real school... just have a LTCF from PA..
    I have one

(Dauphin County)

I have a PA permit. I've had it 19 yrs.
    Licenses are for a term of 5 years, could you clarify whether you have applied or 'renewed' and have been affirmatively granted a license within the past 5 years?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    Licenses are for a term of 5 years, could you clarify whether you have applied or 'renewed' and have been affirmatively granted a license within the past 5 years?
    I renew every five years. I have a current LTCF.

(Bucks County)

Confirm whether or not that pre-school also contains a Kindergarten. If not then you can even carry in when you pick him up.