Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Which 1911 is for me?

I buy for functionality, but this will be my one divergence from that standard...I want a black or blued finish and will end up with some natural wood or rose grips. I would like a rail but its not essential. I'm talking full sized .45....I have no idea what prices are but $1000-$1500 is about right, what can I get that will hold its value, maybe something to pass on to my kids one day?

I like S&W, but of course Colt is the classic...
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Which 1911 is for me?

I've posted this before and I'll do it again. For the price you're looking to drop on an expensive 1911. You can buy two Or three of these. And they run damn well. Rock Island 5" Tactical.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Monroe County)

Ems, if you are looking for something that will have posterior value that you want to pass onto your kids you need a Colt.

This is a good time too to buy a colt because next year they will be celebrating 100 years of the 1911 Pistol.

Here is a picture of mine it is a genuine series 70 Colt made in 1976, in this photo it is sporting a Kings beavertail, king's hammer and a king's trigger with a Kimber .22 cal upper attached , but i have all original parts for when i want to pass it on to my son.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Westmoreland County)

For what it's worth man, I got a Remington 1911 R1 and love it. I've shot a few of the tacti-cool 1911's and I've got to say that I really like the minimalist style of the Remington. I know that 7-million people are about to tell me why I HAVE to have an ambi safety, speed chute, extended mag release, and extended slide stop lever. But now I'm sold on the simple function of the mil-spec style 1911's. Don't pass this one over, at least give it a look.

I'd take a long hard look at a trp operator

'course the 3 rock islands sure do sound tempting....

(Monroe County)

SA PX9109LP Pretty much meets your want list but has all the loaded features including nite sights for 7 to 800 bucks. I think they still come with a loaded coupon that let's you buy accessories at a deep discount too.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/43756

Last edited by Exbiker; October 16th, 2010 at 07:48 AM.

[random opinion you shouldn't listen to]

Just please don't buy a POS pistol and then try to justify your purchase by convincing others to buy the same POS.

if there's two people I had to trust for 1911 info it would be shawn.l or Lycanthrope. i'm sure they will find this thread but if not i'd send them a pm

Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

(Delaware County)

I preface this with...I am presuming that this is your first venture into the 1911 platform.

The 1911 platform can be dangerous to your wealth. There are so many goodies out there that can be added on to your pistol that you will wind up spending more than your wife (girlfriend, etc.) will ever know. Your starting out on the right foot, wanting a mid range gun. Any of these will be passed on to your great, great grandchildren (it's been around for 100 years).

One thing you should consider is support. What kind of guarantee does the manufacturer offer? One year, five years........ forever to the original buyer. Do they extend that guarantee to other buyers, second, third? Will they pay shipping both ways if a problem occurs? I suggest you explore some 1911 forums before laying out your cash. This one has a great deal of information. http://forums.1911forum.com/

My recommendation would be a TRP, you can find many in your price range on Gunbroker. It's a good solid, dependable, accurate gun, advertised as 2 1/2" @ 25 yards (who shoots BG's at 25 yards???) Springfield will usually extend the guarantee for every gun they ever made and they pay the freight both ways, should there be a problem.

Good luck with your venture into 1911, they are a mystique. You have been warned.......
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast