Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock 19 Add Ons

I'd get a few mags and lots of ammo to practice, and enroll in a proper firearms class to get properly proficient with it.

Get a good quality holster. Sidearmor makes my favorite kydex holster. For OWB, I like their vertical scabbard; this is the one for IWB.

"Practice makes perfect" is BS.... "Perfect practice makes perfect" is much more correct. Get some good quality training/instructions from the get-go - you'll avoid making a lot of fundamental mistakes, and forming bad habits that are hard to change later (stance, grip, sight picture, trigger control, form, etc.). Also, a set of snap-caps or dummy rounds are very good practicing and training aid - for dry-firing, as well as malfunction clearance practice.

Night sights or not depends greatly on personal preference... try your stocks sights first, then maybe try someone else's with night sights. Night sights are great in darkness, but less bright and contrasty in day light. See what your preference are before you commit.

I totally believe in both weapon-mounted lights as well as a separate light. They both have their merits, and there's no point not having both. Again, take a proper firearms course, and talk to your instructor about it, and get his opinions. I like mounted lights because it's ALWAYS pointing where your gun is pointing, and there's no extra work to align the light and the muzzle. however, if you're looking around, I'm not sure you ALWAYS want your gun pointing at what you're looking at (think looking for your kids/pets/spouse/etc.)... that's where the hand-held light is great.
    Last edited by LightningMcQueen784; October 19th, 2010 at 09:11 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Neil, I see you're in Allegheny County.... FIRE Institute has some great courses. They ain't cheap, but they're quality instruction. I strongly suggest you look'em up.

I'd take a basic 3-day pistol class with your stock Glock 19 (with 3-4 mags, quality holster, lots of ammo) before you buy anything else.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood10 View Post
    What is the difference between the Gen3 sights and the Gen4? I have a G27 Gen3 and just bought a G23 Gen4 and the stock sights appear to be identical. Were you referring to the night sights on the Gen4? Thanks

GB
    maybe the 3rd gen i handled had a set of aftermarkets but it had a 3dot setup.. the 4th gen had the white u rear sight with the white dot front... i like how those line up...

(Philadelphia County)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123