Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Looking for Suggestions on a 380.

The 380 must be DA/SA with a decocker.

The Bersa Thunder 380 was great, but after seeing the trigger mechanism break two times within the course of 3 months, I have lost confidence in the Bersa. I am looking for something of a similar size and function. Any suggestions appreciated.

Default Re: Looking for Suggestions on a 380.

I had a BERSA Thunder 380 and had ZERO issues with it. Great pistol for a great price $275 out the door.

Have you looked into the Kel Tec P-3AT? Or the Ruger LCP? Even a Sig 380 or Walther? Don't think the Kel Tec or Ruger have the things you want though.
    Last edited by PA1936MN; April 13th, 2012 at 08:29 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Sig P232 is a great 380 but it costs a lot more than the Bersa.
    Beretta 85 Cheetah is the single stack version (model 84 is double stack). Also a little pricier than other popular 380s but a great shooter.

I have a Ruger LCP with Crimson trace laserguard and Innovative arms tritium night sight upgrade.

It is an excellent and highly reliable weapon, and once you put a good sight on it....very, very accurate.

I highly recommend the LCP.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    I highly recommend the LCP.
    DA/SA and a decocker must be options I was unaware of on the LCP. *facepalm*

As photoshooter mentioned, the "F" or "FS" models of the Beretta Cheetah, and the Sig 232 would fit your requirements and be excellent choices.

The beretta cheetah is a HUGE gun for a .380, and honestly, so is the Bersa.

A DAO doesn't need a decocker....or a manual safety. The traditional DA/SA mechanism is MUCH harder to master than a DAO pull.

It's the OP's money, but i'd pick a LCP over a Bersa or other huge paper weight of a .380 any day.

It's not a SA/DA, but my wife has a Sig 238 Equinox & loves it. Between the two of us we have about 500 rounds thru it without a single problem. It's a bit pricey, but well made. Nice little gun! It's like a Minnie-Me 1911.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

If you like the Bersa but want better quality than go Walther. P238 is high quality and smaller. IMO the LCP is crap. I had to repair the mag release and don't like the way it shoots. It's now a safe queen. The 238 is my summer carry except if I go to somewhere I'd like a little more "security". Then it's back to the trust M&P9c.

If you are serious about the LCP make sure you check the magazine release carefully. I checked a number of them in my local shop and out of about ten half of them had the problem. The problem is a mold line on the mag release which can keep you from inserting magazines unless you depress the release while inserting. It happens to various degrees depending on the magazine being inserted. The mold line is directly on the bearing surface of the release and is not polished off by Ruger. I had to do quite a bit of filing to get mine working. Probably had to remove over 50 thousandths at the right angle to fix it.

(Philadelphia County)

Yes, this is true.
    But... why do we always assume that the smallest gun wins? Don't get me wrong, I like a small gun that's easy to carry but in 380 a gun that you can get your entire hand on makes for a much more pleasant shooting experience (and for me more accurate as a result). I think the LCP is an amazing little gun and while I really like it I've not yet had any desire to own it. Of course that's always subject to change

The Walther PK380 mentioned above is also a good choice. I always considered the Bersa a good choice as well. I hadn't heard about the trigger mechanism problems.

(Northampton County)

A DAO doesn't need a decocker....or a manual safety. The traditional DA/SA mechanism is MUCH harder to master than a DAO pull.
    It's the OP's money, but i'd pick a LCP over a Bersa or other huge paper weight of a .380 any day.
    Obviously you need to work on your reading and comprehension skills . . . the OP didn't ask what your opinion of his gun preference was, and he most certainly didn't ask you to bash his request for DA/SA .380 options. The fact that you felt it necessary to neg rep me for pointing out your hijack attempt I personally find pretty comical, btw. Post whoring mindless opinions may garner a high "rep" total, but it doesn't help the OP. (or make you a productive member)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast