Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Remington Let Me Down

So, I picked up the Remington 1911-R1 last Monday. After doing an initial cleaning, I reassembled the gun and found that my slide stop lever was backing out. Yes...I did reassemble the gun correctly. After encountering the problem the first time, I went back and followed the manual step by step. Then, I called a knowledgable friend of mine and had him walk me through the steps over the phone. Still, as I would rack the slide, the slide stop would work itself out and hang up on the disassembly notch. So, I put a call into Remington, or more specifically E-RPC the "subcontractor" that's owned by Remington and manufactures the R1. After spending several minutes on the phone with tec support I was told that a replacement slide stop was on the way. It's been over a week now, so I decide to call E-RPC and guess what...THERE WAS NO ORDER!!! It's as if I never even called.

Ok...I could understand either letting a gun get through with QC issues OR messing up somebodys order. But both! Jesus!

I like the 1911 platform, but I'm really starting to regret buying it from Remington especially when I could have gotten a Legacy Sports Citadel or RIA for cheaper (I hear they have great customer service too). Or even a Taurus for roughly the same price.

Oh, P.S.- they're backed up like 2 weeks on their shipping! AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHH!!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Remington Let Me Down

I literally just got back from the range (PMSC), breaking in my new R1 too. My ejector busted off right around 170rnds. It's still out there on the range somewhere, and it left the longer leg in my frame. Couldn't find the darn thing. It appears to be an extremely poor quality cast or MIM piece and fractured where the leg meets the main body of the ejector. Working on getting the leg out of the frame here shortly and replacing the part with something of acceptable quality. I'm rather disappointed considering most reviews of these were initially favorable. My personal opinion of this model isn't very high right now.

OUCH

IMHO

I'd just save my $$ and go with an RIA or shop around for an older Off brand 1911 CLone that works and you can fix cheaply.

(Bucks County)

Love my R-1, over 1,000 rds and it's been perfect.

Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DBZ220 View Post
    I literally just got back from the range (PMSC), breaking in my new R1 too. My ejector busted off right around 170rnds. It's still out there on the range somewhere, and it left the longer leg in my frame. Couldn't find the darn thing. It appears to be an extremely poor quality cast or MIM piece and fractured where the leg meets the main body of the ejector. Working on getting the leg out of the frame here shortly and replacing the part with something of acceptable quality. I'm rather disappointed considering most reviews of these were initially favorable. My personal opinion of this model isn't very high right now.
    Yeah, it sounds like this model hasn't been out long enough to get all of the bugs worked out. I guess it is just like buying a car, the early production runs are always plagued with problems until they've had a few years to work out the kinks. It's a shame that you can't buy quality stuff, at a decent price, if it's made in America.

Quote Originally Posted by springfield24 View Post
    So, I picked up the Remington 1911-R1 last Monday. After doing an initial cleaning, I reassembled the gun and found that my slide stop lever was backing out. Yes...I did reassemble the gun correctly. After encountering the problem the first time, I went back and followed the manual step by step. Then, I called a knowledgable friend of mine and had him walk me through the steps over the phone. Still, as I would rack the slide, the slide stop would work itself out and hang up on the disassembly notch. So, I put a call into Remington, or more specifically E-RPC the "subcontractor" that's owned by Remington and manufactures the R1. After spending several minutes on the phone with tec support I was told that a replacement slide stop was on the way. It's been over a week now, so I decide to call E-RPC and guess what...THERE WAS NO ORDER!!! It's as if I never even called.

Ok...I could understand either letting a gun get through with QC issues OR messing up somebodys order. But both! Jesus!

I like the 1911 platform, but I'm really starting to regret buying it from Remington especially when I could have gotten a Legacy Sports Citadel or RIA for cheaper (I hear they have great customer service too). Or even a Taurus for roughly the same price.

Oh, P.S.- they're backed up like 2 weeks on their shipping! AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHH!!!

456 - Fairly new product line like most things they have to work the biugs out and though Remington makes great Rifles and Shotguns it been a while since they made handguns. I'm sure they will get it right you in too deep to bakc out now without a lost/sell as a used Gun. Fix it with after market parts and make it work you can learn a lot along the way. I know this is not the way you wanted to break yoiur Remy 1911 in but this is the world of 1st production run things most times, firgure it out and write a thread on how you fixed it. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I'm not going to do a lot of hindsight Quarterbacking, of what you should have done. Where on the 50 yard line hike or punt? Your call.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    456 - Fairly new product line like most things they have to work the biugs out and though Remington makes great Rifles and Shotguns it been a while since they made handguns. I'm sure they will get it right you in too deep to bakc out now without a lost/sell as a used Gun. Fix it with after market parts and make it work you can learn a lot along the way. I know this is not the way you wanted to break yoiur Remy 1911 in but this is the world of 1st production run things most times, firgure it out and write a thread on how you fixed it. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I'm not going to do a lot of hindsight Quarterbacking, of what you should have done. Where on the 50 yard line hike or punt? Your call.
    I guess this is going to be like the old beater car everybody had growing up...you know it's one of those "love to hate" things. I already have my gunshop looking for an aftermarket slide stop. When the Rem. replacement get's here I'll just put it in the parts bin in case I need it in an Emergency. I really didn't want to throw a bunch of aftermarket parts on this gun, but I guess one part isn't all that bad.

(Montgomery County)

The R1 is a cheap gun. I was not aware that it was manufactured by another company and supplied to Remington. This makes me wonder if the R1 ever is touched by a Remington employee.

You get what you pay for, especially with firearms. The 1911's from Smith and Wesson, Sig Sauer and Springfield Armory are fantastic examples of the model. Sure, they cost a little bit more yet the money is well worth it. Is a 900 USD 1911 really that expensive? No! The average case of ammunition in .45 ACP runs around 400 bucks!!! A high quality shooter at the cost of 2.25 cases of ammunition is a real bargain.

It is best to buy for quality, not just for price. Buying for price is usually very expensive.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    You get what you pay for, especially with firearms. The 1911's from Smith and Wesson, Sig Sauer and Springfield Armory are fantastic examples of the model. Sure, they cost a little bit more yet the money is well worth it. Is a 900 USD 1911 really that expensive? No! The average case of ammunition in .45 ACP runs around 400 bucks!!! A high quality shooter at the cost of 2.25 cases of ammunition is a real bargain.

It is best to buy for quality, not just for price. Buying for price is usually very expensive.
    Quoted for truth. One doesn't have to spend a fantasic amount of money on a 1911 like a Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Bear or Ed Brown to get a great gun. Right around a grand give or take $150 seems to be the price point where quality and value match the amont of cash spent. Best of all, right around that grand mark, there are countless models and options availlable.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Monroe County)

[QUOTE=Steve_NEPhila;1373248]The R1 is a cheap gun. I was not aware that it was manufactured by another company and supplied to Remington. This makes me wonder if the R1 ever is touched by a Remington employee.

It is best to buy for quality, not just for price. Buying for price is usually very expensive.[/QUO TE Steve That is the problem, Most People are buying these Guns just for the Nostalgia and Brand name, Not realizing that they are just buying a contracted item. It will take some time for Remington to get after their contractors about the Quality issues.

I still Think that the Taurus Pt1911 is still the Best inexpensixe 1911 out there . But people wont buy them for Nostalgia or looks, people buy them because they Work, its like buying a Ford 150, you buy it becausae its a worker.]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast