Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Wyoming County)

Default Re: Penn Foster Gunsmith Course

I will be keeping an eye on this thread, because my son is very much interested in gunsmithing. If this course is a viable option, it would certainly save 10's of 1,000's of $$'s being spent on the school in Pittsburgh. I have no doubt he would be great as a gunsmith, he has a photogenic memory for weaponry and ammo dating way back, but the cost is prohibitive for the brick and mortar school.
    ~~Mama Bear - defender of her own

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Penn Foster Gunsmith Course

I am midway through the course, and can say that it really isn't bad. You get out of it what you put into it...If you really want to learn the basics, it's a good course. If you want more in-depth education, as long as you have the basics down, an armorer's course will further your abilities.

I've been a toolmaker for a number of years, already own the majority of the tools needed for nearly anything, to include some of the machinery that I need to move here from Ohio.

I'm setting everything up in my basement and will advertise that hours are by appointment only until I start making some real money. My specialty will most likely be handguns and milsurps...but I'll have the knowledge for other things. I'll leave the stock making to those with the patience...

All in all, it's a good course for those wanting to get their feet wet in the industry. I'm waiting impatiently for the end of the course when they teach about setting up your own business, and the proper way to get things, such as local, state and federal licenses together.

1/2 way through, and I'm holding a 98% average. I screwed up on the first exam, which is mainly about how to use and navigate the web page, because I thought I knew it all instead of actually studying the subject.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12