Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default aimpoint/eotech worth the money

Alright, I'm in the search for a Decent AR optic that doesn't break the bank. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the money to buy a real aimpoint or eotech rather than a knock off.

Yes I know the argument that you can't put a price on protection, but I argue you can. for instance, how many of you carry kel tecs or glocks when you could have an Ed Brown?... So money is a factor.

Main uses would be HD and plinking, along with 3 gun and steel matches. run with a 22 conversion for steel shoots, and probably SBR'ed for HD and matches (why the hell not...)

any suggestions?

(York County)

Default Re: aimpoint/eotech worth the money

if one of the main uses for your AR is going to be home defense, than go with a real aimpoint or eotech. This is equipment that you may one day need to rely on with your life. if this was simply a steel/3-gun rifle, then a cheap rip-off would be fine, but not for an HD rifle.

i don't personally own an optic, but pretty much everyone whose opinions matter, say that an optic is one thing that you absolutely don't cheap-out on.

(Montgomery County)

Iron sights work great on the AR platform. I have had excellent results with my iron sights. The red dots (all of them that work) help mediocre shooters and make target transition a bit faster for good shooters. They do not make the weapon or the shooter some type of wunderkind.

Ask yourself why do you want a red dot or holographic sight? If it is because everyone else has one, or because it looks cool you should rethink that. Iron sights have been putting lead on target for a very very long time.

The fundamentals of rifle marksmanship should always be practiced. No need for a red dot or holo sight to shoot a modern sporting rifle. In fact, you would most likely be better served by buying more ammo first.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

If eotechs or aimpoints wouldn't be worth the money, hundreds of thousands of people wouldn't praise them all over the world.

Save up for one, you won't be disappointed.

Check a website called GG&G, they have a 512 with a quick release mount, and hard optic flaps for less than $400 if I remember correctly.

There is also a $50/$30 rebate on new Eotechs.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

I have both an Aimpoint & an EOTech & they ARE worth the money. They are only tools though & don't take the place of basic marksmanship.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Unhappy Re: aimpoint/eotech worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Iron sights work great on the AR platform. I have had excellent results with my iron sights. The red dots (all of them that work) help mediocre shooters and make target transition a bit faster for good shooters. They do not make the weapon or the shooter some type of wunderkind.

Ask yourself why do you want a red dot or holographic sight? If it is because everyone else has one, or because it looks cool you should rethink that. Iron sights have been putting lead on target for a very very long time.

The fundamentals of rifle marksmanship should always be practiced. No need for a red dot or holo sight to shoot a modern sporting rifle. In fact, you would most likely be better served by buying more ammo first.
    well thanks for just assuming I have no idea what I'm doing... :-/ I may in fact be one of those good shooters that wants quicker transitions. I may also be an amazing shooter that wants any bit of an edge he can gain with a quality optic. I have iron sites and marksmanship 101 down cold. For 3 gun and HD I don't need to make a 1/4" group at 100 yards, I need to put 2 rounds in a 6 inch circle and be moving towards the next target before the recoil of the first fired shot comes down (yes you can do this, and yes I can do this).

just happen to be kinda poor, and since I love many different shooting sports, I can't afford to dump all my play money into a new-fangeled Brand X super rifle. Have a reliable, accurate one, and I want to make it faster.

I like the Eotech for ease of use. Poor cheek weld during a transition...no problem. Both eyes open is a plus. I have only used one aimpoint and it was also slicker than shit. I think the question you asked was should I get a $30 Bushnell from WalMart or spring for the Leupold VX-III/Nikon Monarch. I think the answer is clear when buying optics...crystal.
    Jules

I have two Eotech sites and they are both great! I would say go with the Eotech because it allows you to keep both eyes open when shooting. In a HD situation your peripheral vision is key! I bought both my optics used, private sale. Shop around and you can get some decent prices. My first 512 and quad rail was $275 used.

Just checked the classified for you Deco49 has a eotech 512 for $350. Under accesories and ammunition
    Last edited by Daycrawler; October 14th, 2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: add info

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    well thanks for just assuming I have no idea what I'm doing... :-/ I may in fact be one of those good shooters that wants quicker transitions. I may also be an amazing shooter that wants any bit of an edge he can gain with a quality optic. I have iron sites and marksmanship 101 down cold. For 3 gun and HD I don't need to make a 1/4" group at 100 yards, I need to put 2 rounds in a 6 inch circle and be moving towards the next target before the recoil of the first fired shot comes down (yes you can do this, and yes I can do this).

just happen to be kinda poor, and since I love many different shooting sports, I can't afford to dump all my play money into a new-fangeled Brand X super rifle. Have a reliable, accurate one, and I want to make it faster.
    You assume far too much and your poor attitude is indicative of a rigid and inflexible mind, not a desirable trait. I never assumed anything about your ability to shoot. I did state that you would probably be better off buying more ammo, as would we all from novice to expert.

MSR's (modern sporting rifles as the NSSF calls them, which I like) are fantastic. A massive market has sprung up of accessories for these MSR's. Make no mistake, accessories are just that. No shooter gets better through the purchase of an accessory. Furthermore, converting a rifle to an SBR is not the most efficient use of money for competition effectiveness.

In short, if you are poor you should spend your money on ammunition. Why? There is no substitute for putting lead down range. No laser sighting multi-tool spork equipped whiz bang doo-dad will benefit a shooter (any shooter) more then quality range time.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lackawanna County)

Check out the vortex strikefire. I have it and use it for 3 gun and everyday shooting. Has held up perfect and holds zero also. Check out my review about 5 posts down in this forum from this post!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast