Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas...WTF?

(Northampton County)

Default Cabelas...WTF?

Was in Cabelas last night picking up some odd items and being the gun counter was empty I figured let me hold some pistols and ask some questions.
    I won't mention any names, so I ask the gentleman behind the counter to show me a Sig 250 and ask him to tell me a little about like DA/SA how many rounds nothing crazy...he looks at me and says "Its better then a Taraus".

Thinking this was an isolated case the guy next to me is looking at a PX4 Storm SC and I mention how I like the gun as well. Now the 2 customers are educating the 2 so called "experts" behind the counter on the PX4 !

I'll be the first to admit my firearm expertise is limited and in no way do I consider nyself an expert. So is it too much to expect that the management at Cabelas can do a better job at placing a some what knowledgeable person behind the gun counter these 2 guys?

Did I catch them on an off day ? Or is this normal for Cabelas?

Default Re: Cabelas...WTF?

Hey, at least no one pointed it at you.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by JEC_PA View Post

So is it too much to expect that the management at Cabelas can do a better job at placing a some what knowledgeable person behind the gun counter these 2 guys?
    The problem here, is the problem in quite a few of the larger stores. Most of the employees are not paid well enough to be "in the know".

Lets face it, who would you hire when it comes to profit margins? The guy who knows what he is talking about for $14 an hour, or the guy who doesn't know which end goes bang for $8.

Is it to much to expect? From an inteligence standpoint, no. When you go in to spend your money, you should have someone knowledgeable about the product. However, it is unlikely to change. Have you never shopped in a walmart?
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Northampton County)

I like Cabelas, but I am a small shop owner. I see them as the Home Depot of the firearms world. Started out good and now will hire anyone that wants to work there. Know what you want when you go in!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    The problem here, is the problem in quite a few of the larger stores. Most of the employees are not paid well enough to be "in the know".

Lets face it, who would you hire when it comes to profit margins? The guy who knows what he is talking about for $14 an hour, or the guy who doesn't know which end goes bang for $8.

Is it to much to expect? From an inteligence standpoint, no. When you go in to spend your money, you should have someone knowledgeable about the product. However, it is unlikely to change. Have you never shopped in a walmart?
    I totally get the economics of it.
    But when it comes to something like a firearm, is it to unreasonable to expect some level of knowledge?

(Bucks County)

When I bought my shotgun there 2 years ago the guy that helped me was very knowledgeable & helpful . When I had the whisker biscuit put on my bow again they were very helpful. I guess i just got lucky and got guys who knew what they were doing.

was at cabelas in hamburg bout a month ago. my 1st time in cabelas, wth, they have an semi natural museum in there. anyway, i couldn't believe how busy they where, I had to take a number, to look at handguns. walked away with with a gen4g22 and bunch of other stuff. I can't comment on the service or how knowledgeable the staff were, i didn't ask any hard questions, i knew what i wanted, the price was good no questions needed.

That sounds like a normal day there. I find thier staff to be friendly and in most cases are upfront about their knowledge or lack there of. I agree about the superstore comment. However on the flip side that also enables them to have a very large selection. I do find their prices to be higher than just about every other shop I've been to. I also find their customer support lacking. Don't expect them to help you out if the brand new $800 handgun you just purchased has a factory defect. Expect them to point you at an all sales final pamphlet and send you home to mail your firearm back on your own. Alot of small shops will eat this cost for you.

My $0.02

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jester6 View Post
    I do find their prices to be higher than just about every other shop I've been to.
    ^^^THAT'S how they pay for THIS.vvv

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    they have an semi natural museum in there.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by JEC_PA View Post
    I totally get the economics of it.
    But when it comes to something like a firearm, is it to unreasonable to expect some level of knowledge?
    Believe me, I agree 100% with you. As far as I am concerned, if someone is working at a firearms counter, they should be able to tell you at least a little bit about the firearms on display. Not to mention proper tear down procedure.

The problem is, company big wigs "know what the consumer wants". And as such, when the consumer wants something (like a knowledgeable employee) it isn't going to happen very easily.

I actually went into a local "sporting goods" store not to long ago. Took about five minutes to find someone to get to the gun counter. Asked about the AKs. Country of manufacture? He didn't know. Actual variant? He wasn't sure. Double stack mags? He had no clue. Honest to god asked him what caliber they were. He then looked at the tags.

At that point in time, I left.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast