Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Dunham Sports?

(Dauphin County)

Default Dunham Sports?

Ok first off long time reader first time poster. I just have to share a story of a rifle purchase i was trying to make a dunhams sports in harrisburg on union depost rd. So a little background on myself, im a 20 year old college student and a avid hunter etc. I bought 2 rifles so far in PA both at gander mtn in harrisburg. I have recently been in the market for something cheap to take to the range and shoot, so was introduced the hi point 995 9mm carbine. So i hear that dunhams sports sells these guns, long story short i go in and they have the .40sw but not the 9mm version, so they said they will order it for me, not a problem kool. Durring the ordering process i was talking with the store manager who was ordering this for me and i explained that, I live here in PA, but my registered address is in Maryland and i have a vaild maryland license. So 3 weeks go by and i get a call that the gun is in and i can pick it up anytime. I go over there today 11-8, to pick it up and start to fill out the usual form for purchasing a firearm. I get about half way down the form and I pull my Maryland license out and the store manager immediately take the form from me and tells me that he cannot sell me this gun because i have a Maryland license. He said it was store policy to not sell a gun to anyone not from PA, i then asked to see this store policy in writing as it was not posted anywhere and even the manager could not provide the documentation of this. Im confused at this point, so i asked if they could transfer the gun to FFL in Maryland, which I shouldn't have to do in the first place because Ive bought guns before in PA and they went through the check and were fine, and the same would of happened with this one also. He explain sthat they cannot xfer the gun to a FFl or to a Dunhams soter in maryland for me to pick up. This is IMHO is a bogus policy and im trying to get ahold of their corperate office to get some kind of documentation or clarification on this so called policy.

So i have some questions for you guys here.
    1. Can they refuse to sell to me even though I meet all the requirements that every other buyer is subject to.

2. If anyone is firmilar with this gun (hi point 995 carbine) dose anyone know of any local shops around here (harrisburg area) that sell this, so I may inquire about purchase from them, b/c dunhams will not get any more of my money.

Sorry im a little mad after we went through all this to order the gun knowing I had a MD license and now its against policy to sell it once it arrived.

Any suggestions?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Dunham Sports?

Even with MD criteria, your'r in a contiguos border state and over 18 - no problem there. Go to a REAL gunstore.

Dunhams is purely anal about anything gun-related, a huge process to buy a gun there.

You can't blame them/I don't blame them - they are a sporting goods store 1st - that luckily for us just happens to sell guns at frequent sale prices.

If absolutely any "i" misses getting dotted or T's don't get crossed - and something were to happen - some lawyer or govt official will be after Dunhams in a NY minute.

Big target - deep pockets.

This is a crazy effing world we're in anymore - no one is ever responsible for their own actions. I wouldn't want the liability of selling a gun over the counter these days.

(Dauphin County)

Any one know of any dealers or store in the area that sell that firearm?

(Susquehanna County)

In answer to question #1, yes they can refuse to sell a firearm to anyone for any reason. That reason does not have to be a corporate rule or written. If they feel it shouldn't happen, it probably won't.

(Dauphin County)

Well i Just received a call from their Corp. Office and they apparently have not herd of this policy either, so they are going to look into it and call me back. Dose anyone know off hand the PA statue where it defines purchase of firearms for non residents.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crakkajakka15 View Post
    Well i Just received a call from their Corp. Office and they apparently have not herd of this policy either, so they are going to look into it and call me back. Dose anyone know off hand the PA statue where it defines purchase of firearms for non residents.
    First off, a rifle or shotgun is not a firearm according to the NFA. For your purposes, a firearm is a pistol, or rifle or shotgun with a barrel shorter than 16 inches(these are nfa items and require special steps to purchase)

Anyhow, the statute you are looking for is not a PA statute, however a federal statute. It can be found on the ATF's website at http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f2

As long as you may own the rifle in your home state, you can legally buy it in PA.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Lebanon County)

I am in lebanon, and can get you one.

(Dauphin County)

Just a quick update to this situation, I did find a place that had a 995 in stock and it was Hunters Den in Waynesboro, PA and a guy named Stew (i think) took care of me, very very nice guy to deal with IMHO, they will deff. be the first place I go to purchase my handgun in Feb. Pics of the 995 attached.

(Huntingdon County)

As stated by NFAFAN, Dunhams can be very anal regarding gun sales. The folks in our local Altoona store seem particularly dazed and confused when dealing with anything firearm related.

Having said that, if you can keep your cool, there are sale bargains to be had from Dunhams on military surplus rifles. During the past three years, I've bought 3 very nice Swiss K31s (none more than $79.99) and several semi-nice Russian bolt action rifles even cheaper. I've found that when talking with Dunhams none too knowledgeble sales persons just be patient and speak very slowly.
    Hombre

Badges?.......We don't have no stinkin' badges!

(Beaver County)

It must just be that store's policy. I live in PA but am really close to Ohio. I went to the Dunham's in Ohio a couple of months ago and bought a shotgun with no problems at all.