Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Crimson Trace lasergrip or XS tritium sight on CC wheelgun?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crimson Trace

25 52.08%
  • XS tritium sight

12 25.00%
  • Other (please explain)

11 22.92%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default laser grip, needed or not?

I recently purchased an LCR in 357 magnum for CC. After much debate, I will be carrying it either IWB or in pocket with hot 38 +p loads (Buffalo Bore). I am currently trying to decide between an XS tritium sight, and a crimson trace laser. What do you guys think about the use of a laser with a snub nosed revolver for daily concealed carry? As far as I can tell, the characteristics are as follows...

LASER GRIP ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES
    -Is expensive (disadvantage)
    -Depends on battery life/maintenance (disadvantage)
    -Inherently accurate (advantage)
    -Requires less training for decent accuracy (advantage)
    -Replaces custom Hogue grip with less efficient grip (disadvantage)

XS TRITIUM FRONT SIGHT
    -Is inexpensive (advantage)
    -Uses JB weld to mount (may be impossible to remove/replace in 10-15 years when Tritium wears out) (disadvantage)
    -Does not depend on battery maintenance (advantage)
    -Requires increased training/range time (disadvantage)
    -Does not alter the optomized Hogue grip from the factory (advantage)

...What say ye?

(York County)

Default Re: laser grip, needed or not?

I've always preferred tritium night sights over lasers. They won't give away your position and don't require batteries which may fail.

I say both if you have the means, so I voted for other. I was taught to use lasers in tandem with the sights, so thats what I prefer to do. I differ on the choice of laser though. My personal favorite is a Viridian XL laser/light Combo. Works great in tandem with the Siglite (Made by Trijicon) night sights on my P220.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    I recently purchased an LCR in 357 magnum for CC. After much debate, I will be carrying it either IWB or in pocket with hot 38 +p loads (Buffalo Bore). I am currently trying to decide between an XS tritium sight, and a crimson trace laser. What do you guys think about the use of a laser with a snub nosed revolver for daily concealed carry? As far as I can tell, the characteristics are as follows...

LASER GRIP ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES
    -Is expensive (disadvantage)
    -Depends on battery life/maintenance (disadvantage)
    -Inherently accurate (advantage)
    -Requires less training for decent accuracy (advantage)
    -Replaces custom Hogue grip with less efficient grip (disadvantage)

XS TRITIUM FRONT SIGHT
    -Is inexpensive (advantage)
    -Uses JB weld to mount (may be impossible to remove/replace in 10-15 years when Tritium wears out) (disadvantage)
    -Does not depend on battery maintenance (advantage)
    -Requires increased training/range time (disadvantage)
    -Does not alter the optomized Hogue grip from the factory (advantage)

...What say ye?
    I disagree almost entirely with your reasoning for one large reason, a laser does not make it easier to shoot accurately! The fundamentals of pistol marksmanship are sight picture, grip and trigger control. A laser only possibly addresses one of those factors.

A laser is not inherently accurate. The laser has no impact on accuracy, whatsoever. A laser does not in any way reduce the amount of training needed to operate a revolver like the LCR. Reload drills, trigger control and proper grip require lots of time to hone and perfect. No laser in the world will reduce the amount of time needed for that.

As for the tritium front sight, do not JB weld it in. It is a pinned in piece and when properly installed should not need any additional help from an adhesive to keep it in place. Shooting with a tritium sight does not require extra or additional training over a laser. There is no substitute for good trigger control, especially with a double action only revolver.

I voted for the tritium sight for simplicity and reliability. However, I advise you to get some serious trigger time with your new LCR. After you shoot a few thousand rounds through it you may have a different opinion concerning the differences between lasers and tritium sights. However, you can always go with both. Just remember, lasers have a hard time showing up well on black surfaces. Try that out next time you are at a shop with a display unit with a laser...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Washington County)

A laser has its place, especially in a piece that will be used in a close self defense encounter when you cannot take a proper stance and shoot with your arms extended.

Although, you will have a cylinder gap to contend with, but burns are not the first thing to worry about when you resort to deadly force.

I would vote both, with lots of practice.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    A laser has its place, especially in a piece that will be used in a close self defense encounter when you cannot take a proper stance and shoot with your arms extended.

Although, you will have a cylinder gap to contend with, but burns are not the first thing to worry about when you resort to deadly force.

Crimson trace. or Both if I could...but that said if I could do only one Crimson Trace.

(Blair County)

I got Crimson Trace lasergrips on all of my carry pistols. (Glock 27, Kahr PM9 and Kel-Tec .380). I love them because it is MUCH easier to get off quick and accurate shots. I'd guess that sometimes you wouldn't be able to get the firearm in proper position (up and in front of you) before you needed to discharge it. With the laser you could shoot from the hip and get off pretty accurate shots.

Don't rely on these entirely though. I still practice using the fixed sites, just in case.

(Monroe County)

I'm probably going to stop pocket carrying after todays incident. I doubt I will write about what happened. As far as your "disadvantage", there really isn't increased training just because you add night sights, it would be the same amount of training as if you had factory sights on. I've seen the CT grips on an LCR, and it looks like a fucking oven mit. It makes the grip huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

What ever laser devise you buy, you need to practice with iron sights.

I sighted in my battery operated sights devise got to the point were I could hit what I was aiming at quick and easy on inside range and in the dark. Took to a buddies outdoor Range on a bright and sunny day couldn't see the focus point had to try to use the barrel the mount covered my front sights. Anything past 10 yard was hard to line up at home in the dark or dimmed light I could shot out the bulls eye at 15 & 30 yards.

Too much light I couldn't see my focus point I couldn't used the special optics so it couldn't help. With the light just right I was deadly when its not just right I was SOL.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post

As Azzy said. It is another tool in the toolbox. I plan on putting a set of crimson trace grips on my Kimber lte. It already has night sites on it.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast