Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would you reload for other people?

This might sound like a silly question, but I've got someone asking me to do some reloading for his .45 because he has a stockpile of empty's. My initial gut reaction is to refuse, but I thought maybe I could ask around and see what others think of the idea. I offered to teach the guy how to do his own reloading and offered to let him use my equipment at first, but it didn't sound like he was all that interested in that idea. I would rather have him be responsible for obtaining his own ammo by whatever means.
    I talked to the another guy, the one who helped me get started reloading on my own, and he came up with some claim about liability. He claimed that if the owner of the gun would ever use the ammo that I loaded for him to commit a crime, then there is some chance that a greedy prosecuting attorney could possibly be able to come after me with charges. Is that even valid?!? I think it sounds sort of far out.
    Also, he said that if some kind of mistake would ever happen during the reloading process and a bullet misfires and causes damage to the gun or owner or bystanders that I could be held liable. That makes a little more sense.
    So what would y'all do? Just do the reloading and don't worry? Or have him sign some sort of written agreement, waiver, or whatever? Or just stick with my initial gut reaction to not do any reloading for anybody?

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Would you reload for other people?

No I wouldn't reload for other people. But, I can't think of a reason in the world why I wouldn't let a friend come over to my house with his empty brass, primers, powder and bullets and use my equipment to load his own. That way he supplies the expendables, gets his reloads, learns about reloading and if he wants to get into it and I don't have to worry about liability, real or imagined.

I personally don't even like people shooting my guns with my reloads, I usually take some factory loads when i go to the range incase someone wants to try my gun..

Knock on wood i've never had any sort of problem with any reload i've ever done, but I would feel 110% responsible if something would go wrong and thats not a situation i'd want to be in.

theres a guy at my gun club who is always loading for people, and its sort of scary i've seen quite a few of his loads go pfffft, and i've heard them go k-k-kaboom and he goes oops musta been a double charge in that one..

Yeah, XD45, that's what I'm talking about, the "pffft" or the "k-k-boom!!" It's one thing if that happens to me from my own reloads, but I'm very cautious about that because that's one of the things that the guy who taught me how to reload ingraned into my head to be careful about. I'm pretty confident in the safety of my reloads too, but it only takes one screw up to have permanent consequences. It's like the ancient chineese proverb, "It take may nails to build crib, but only one screw to fill." Oops, did I say that in public?

But what about somebody else using my reloads to commit a crime? Is it even possible for me to be held liable for that? I have no control over what they do.
    Last edited by S&W500Mag; November 8th, 2007 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W500Mag View Post
    But what about somebody else using my reloads to commit a crime? Is it even possible for me to be held liable for that? I have no control over what they do.
    I would doubt that, I dont see a huge difference between that and when they went after the gun makers for making the guns. Also Winchester, Remington and 150 other companies would be in court 365days a year..

with that said i'm no lawyer, and you never know what the courts will try and pull in this day and age..

That's sort of the same thing I was thinking. I'm not convinced that I could be held liable in that way. It does make sense that I could be held liable for a goofed up load though; that's only common sense.

Is there any other reasons that anybody can think of why it would or would not be a good idea to reload for someone else????

It has never been worth my time to reload for someone else.
    Once I started reloading everyone wanted me to sell them reloads , for a buck or 2 over my cost ......... screw that , and if they paid what my time was worth to me , it'd be the most expensive ammo on the market
    Besides I am always behind inmy own reloading
    And even if your reloads weren't the problem in a gun blow up ..... they goin say it was

OK, I'll take all of that, and go back with a good defense of why he should come over and learn to do his own reloading. I think it would be fun to help get someone else started into this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W500Mag View Post
    OK, I'll take all of that, and go back with a good defense of why he should come over and learn to do his own reloading. I think it would be fun to help get someone else started into this hobby.
    thats what i was going to recommend, tell him you'll teach him as much as you can, and help him get started into loading but you don't feel comfortable and tell him the reasons..

(Beaver County)

I let my friends use my equipment, but they pick a load and pull the handle. If he doesn't want to put in the time (like you did), to learn, than he doesn't need to reap the benefits of handloading. There are too many lawyers around to do otherwise.
    I vote the second first

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast