Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry Permit

(Bucks County)

Default Carry Permit

This may be a stupid question but here goes. I am a resident af PA and am considering getting a permit to carry. After some research I am left with a simple question. Would it be better to get a non-resident Florida permit which alot of states honor including PA, or do I still have to get one issued from PA since I am a resident?

If I can get the Florida permit it seems to be the more logical option since more states honor Florida's than Pennsylvania's including Ohio, which I travel to often.

Thanks for your responses!

(Perry County)

Default Re: Carry Permit

In my opinion, I would go ahead and get the PA permit. That way, you're covered in case you run into some local yocal who doesn't know about recipricatory laws.

Dave G.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NESTO View Post
    This may be a stupid question but here goes. I am a resident af PA and am considering getting a permit to carry. After some research I am left with a simple question. Would it be better to get a non-resident Florida permit which alot of states honor including PA, or do I still have to get one issued from PA since I am a resident?

If I can get the Florida permit it seems to be the more logical option since more states honor Florida's than Pennsylvania's including Ohio, which I travel to often.

Thanks for your responses!
    While you could and you'd be fine legally, I'd really suggest getting a PA permit, if you want to get an FL permit in addition to your PA permit that would be great.

PA permits cost $19 and are good for 5 years, as long as you can legally purchase a gun you'll get your permit. There's really no reason NOT to get a PA permit which will be much more recognizable to police if they ever ask you to show it. I'm not so sure I'd trust the average cop on the beat to know that FL permits are honored in PA, and while you would be legal, it might just end up as a situation that is more trouble than it's worth.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

I would get the PA permit. You're a PA resident, and while in-state the best permit to have is a PA one.

If you need to get another state's non-resident permit so you can carry in Ohio, then get that too. It doesn't hurt to have both.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Carbon County)

+3 Always good to have local license
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Bucks County)

NESTO, Ditto on all previous advise, no sense giving any LEO, who is not up to code, the chance to "run you in". "Why not a PA permit" is what I would think if I was an LEO. Might seem odd to the LEO and cause him or her to think too much, know what I mean? PA permit in your home state and FLA or other when you travel outside PA as danp, CR, Archiver, and dmg all mentioned...Mike45

Yes the Flordia permit is recognized by more states, but the process is not short, get your PA permit to hold you over till you get your FL. permit, also unless traveling only carry the PA permit incase you loose your wallet, it will be easier to get the local permit replaced.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Northampton County)

Hey guys, I know I'm the newbie here and I don't want to sound like I know more than others, but I noticed a few discrepencies in what I've recently learned.

I know that PA will not issue a non-resident permit unless you first have a carry permit in your home state, so I assume that most other states would be the same. Kentucky actually has reciprocity with a lot of other states like FL, but they will not issue a non-resident permit at all - you have to reside there for 12 or 18 months (I forget which) before they will issue a carry permit in that state.

Regarding "PA permits cost $19 and are good for 5 years, as long as you can legally purchase a gun you'll get your permit.". I just paid $35 in Northampton county to apply for my carry permit. Additionally the state police told me that you can buy a gun but will be rejected for a carry permit if you have a minor drug offense, or potentially some other reasons. Switch that sentence around to say "if you can get a carry permit you will be able to buy a gun" and I agree.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by New Shooter View Post
    Regarding "PA permits cost $19 and are good for 5 years, as long as you can legally purchase a gun you'll get your permit.". I just paid $35 in Northampton county to apply for my carry permit.
    Ouch, that sucks. I actually had forgotten that counties do have some leeway in what they can charge due to "costs". Philadelphia is $19.

Quote Originally Posted by New Shooter View Post
    Additionally the state police told me that you can buy a gun but will be rejected for a carry permit if you have a minor drug offense, or potentially some other reasons. Switch that sentence around to say "if you can get a carry permit you will be able to buy a gun" and I agree.
    This may very well be true.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

I took Tony_F's Utah CCW class earlier this year as he became a Utah certified instructor.

I had the Florida package and held off. I think Fla. is $117. Please correct me if this is incorrect.

The Utah CCW is $59 for 5 yr and a $10 renewal charge. The FireInstitute class cost $50.

Tony gets the apps, does the class and signs off as a certified instructor. You need to get fingerprinted which the PSP did for me at no charge. They did ask me "Why Utah?). Utah and Fla essentially gives you about the same # of states with PA. is about 32 states. There is probably a bit of bad info here as I didn't do the research. I was going from my minimal memory.

There will be another Utah CCw class at Pitcarin/Monroeville Sportsmans Club on 12 NOv.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast