Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Positive OC encounter with EPD

I was driving to work this morning and had a man/woman driving 23mph in a 35mph zone in front of me. We were at a light to turn left and they decided they were going to turn left as well meaning I would be stuck behind this person for another fifteen minutes. Against my better judgement, I turned into the parking lot on the corner to skip the light. No sooner than I pulled out of the lot onto the other street, an EPD cruiser came flying up behind me. I knew exactly what I did and pulled over right away and rolled the windows down (I have tinted windows all around). He asked for the basics and saw that I was OC'ing when I leaned over to get the stuff out of my glove box. He asked, "sir can I please see your concealed handgun license as well". I gave it to him. He didn't disarm me, didn't have me get out of my truck, didn't grill me as to why I had it, just asked I keep my hands on the wheel and took all the info back to his truck. When he came back he handed my info back and asked if I shoot at Bob's (Bob's gun shop/Lethal Weapon Training in McKean). I said yes, he mentioned that he thought I looked, "familiar from somewhere", and then said "you have a nice shot if I remember correctly. Have a good morning and think before you decide to avoid a light next time". That was that...My first OC encounter with EPD and it was surprisingly pleasant. I expected it to happen sooner or later driving the vehicle I do, but it went much better than I had anticipated. I wish I had gotten his name to give him a thumbs up. Nice work EPD.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Positive OC encounter with EPD

Quote Originally Posted by 0hW0rd View Post
    I turned into the parking lot on the corner to skip the light. No sooner than I pulled out of the lot onto the other street, an EPD cruiser came flying up behind me. I knew exactly what I did ....

..... he mentioned that he thought I looked, "familiar from somewhere", and then said "you have a nice shot if I remember correctly. Have a good morning and think before you decide to avoid a light next time". That was that...My first OC encounter with EPD and it was surprisingly pleasant. I expected it to happen sooner or later driving the vehicle I do, but it went much better than I had anticipated. I wish I had gotten his name to give him a thumbs up. Nice work EPD.
    LOL, so if you were a lousy shot he may have given you the ticket that you deserved??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by CenterTree View Post
    LOL, so if you were a lousy shot he may have given you the ticket that you deserved??
    Haha, that would be good. I'll have to give him some pointers if I ever bump into him at the range

(Dauphin County)

Sounds to me like a good encounter that went pretty much the way it should have. It doesn't sound like you volunteered that you were carrying (although that is a personal decision, and I am not advocating on way or the other), but that he saw it and asked about it, correct?

However, I would not call this an OC encounter, since most OC encounters are on foot, when a LTCF is not required. A LTCF is required to carry in a vehicle, and the officer was within the scope of his authority to ask for it.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Lackawanna County)

I see this happen all the time in small corner lots all around Scranton with frequently backed up intersections. As long as you are legally entering the parking lot (i.e. not jumping a curb) and exiting in the same manner, how can they justify pulling you over?

Is there a law I don't know about? I feel like LEO's just don't like people beating the system on their watch.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Sounds to me like a good encounter that went pretty much the way it should have. It doesn't sound like you volunteered that you were carrying (although that is a personal decision, and I am not advocating on way or the other), but that he saw it and asked about it, correct?

However, I would not call this an OC encounter, since most OC encounters are on foot, when a LTCF is not required. A LTCF is required to carry in a vehicle, and the officer was within the scope of his authority to ask for it.
    Good point re: not technically being OC. I should say it was in a serpa II, not covered by a shirt or anything else.
    This was only my second time being pulled over with a gun in the vehicle/on my person. The first was while driving through NY just outside of the city (gun was locked in the back and properly stored with every law followed to the T) where I notified the NYSP trooper right away (long/crappy story but it worked out well and I was found to have secured it all 100% in accordance with the law) and the second time was this morning. I chose to not disclose the fact that I was carrying as he did not ask and I was not going to volunteer that info to him. I am happy with my decision and would handle it again the exact same way again.
    If it were not for this message board I for sure would have notified the officer right away and who knows what headache that would have lead to at 7am. Thanks guys.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by C27433 View Post
    I see this happen all the time in small corner lots all around Scranton with frequently backed up intersections. As long as you are legally entering the parking lot (i.e. not jumping a curb) and exiting in the same manner, how can they justify pulling you over?

Is there a law I don't know about? I feel like LEO's just don't like people beating the system on their watch.
    I'm unsure as to if I actually broke the law or not. Every other person I have asked today has given me a different answer and the cop did not tell me it was in fact illegal. My buddy in Jerz claims it's a 4 point violation, but Jerz is the 7th layer of hell, so who knows (no offense to Jersey people, I do love your state most of the time).