Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Question Glock 27 Recoil? Opinions on the Gun in General?

I've been looking for something a bit larger than a J frame and smaller than a 4 inch XD. I've been presented an opportunity to grab a G27, and really don't know dick about them.

How is the recoil? I've shot a buddies Walther P99c in .40 as well as a Glock 22 and didn't find either of them unplesant, but the Walther does have some muzzle flip. I'm not opposed to a gun that bangs hard, just curious. Would a full sized man who has a good amount of experience with pistols of many calibers have any trouble with follow up shots?

I'm thinking 9mm conversion anyway, I'm just not in love with the price of .40S&W.

I'd love to hear any opinions you guys have on the Glock 27 period.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Glock 27 Recoil? Opinions on the Gun in General?

I had one for a number of years and I did not like it. A weapon that size would be much better off in 9mm luger. I carried the G27 before I carried my J frame!!! Blasphemy, right?

I just shoot the J better. The .40 cal is a very high pressure cartridge making for a terrible muzzle blast and fireball from something as small as the G27. The upside is that they have fantastic resale value compared to other Glocks.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I have owned a few...yeah, had one and sold it then later bought it back. Then I bought one about a year ago and recently sold it to purchase a Glock 30. I have LARGE hands but with some after market magazine floor plates it fit my hand good. As Steve said, the .40 is a high pressure round and the 27 is a snappy little monkey. With a proper grip, the recoil is very manageable. FYI, if you want to go 9mm and if you are getting the 27 for a STEAL, then I say go for it. On the other hand, you could just buy a Glock 26 and be done with it.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

I sold mine because I could only run 2 or three of those itty-bitty mags before it started bothering my wrist. That said, I haz small hands and already having wrist pain - the 27 just aggravated it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I sold mine because I could only run 2 or three of those itty-bitty mags before it started bothering my wrist. That said, I haz small hands and already having wrist pain - the 27 just aggravated it.
    Meeeeeeeeeeow, meeeeeeeeeeeeow.... Sorry, I couldn't resist. As I said, it is a "snappier" recoil than most others.
    Jules

(Lancaster County)

I carry a G27 daily and highly recommend them as a ccw. I do feel however that the short barrel does not allow the gun to balance properly in a iwb holster. There are slimmer guns out there as well as lighter ones but it is in my opinion that the G27s bulk is a fair trade for the extra capacity. Although I recommend this gun for ccw it may not be the best choice for HD or range work. You stating interest in a 9 mil conversion suggests to me that it will be a plinker so unless the deal is really good you have a tough decision to make. What exactly is the offer? Maybe its a no brainer but Im curiouis.

(Philadelphia County)

I carried one since 2000 on shift as a backup and off shift EDC. The muzzle flip is noticeable, but fine. I had to qualify with it quarterly for the past ten years and had no issues. One thing for sure is that you must have a secure grip with your reactionary hand since a G27 will pop out of your hand. During my last class, one of my students shot my G27 at the end and did wonderfully.

Steve_NEPhila is right on. .40S&W is a high pressure cartridge and having it in a small pistol makes for a hell of a combo. I recommend a simple trigger polish job. I've done a few with a Dremel and red rouge with fantastic results.

With your experience, you will do just fine. Just like anything, put a few hundred rounds through it, run some courses of fire and get used to it.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I carry a G27 daily and highly recommend them as a ccw. I do feel however that the short barrel does not allow the gun to balance properly in a iwb holster. There are slimmer guns out there as well as lighter ones but it is in my opinion that the G27s bulk is a fair trade for the extra capacity. Although I recommend this gun for ccw it may not be the best choice for HD or range work. You stating interest in a 9 mil conversion suggests to me that it will be a plinker so unless the deal is really good you have a tough decision to make. What exactly is the offer? Maybe its a no brainer but Im curiouis.
    The deal is my 637 for the 27 straight up. I've got a 642 on layaway, so I'm still covered in the J frame department. I figure it's a pretty good deal.

That and I think the other party genuinely knows what they want. So I don't feel like either of us is getting a bad deal. I feel great about it and so does he.

As far as everything else; I have no intention of using it for a plinker, I'd look for a 17 if that was what I wanted. I'm considering a 9mm barrel because I want a gun that I can carry as well as use as a house gun for my girlfriend. I see .40 being a little too snappy for her, so 9mm may be a better option. Cheaper to shoot as well, because I shoot my carry guns quite a bit.

(Allegheny County)

I have a G33 357 Sig with a factory G27 barrel as well. I mostly shoot it with the 40 barrel in it and find it just a little snappy but not bad at all.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I carry a G27 daily and highly recommend them as a ccw. I do feel however that the short barrel does not allow the gun to balance properly in a iwb holster.
    That is one thing that has me worried. Balance. I never carry IWB, but how would it feel in something like a Raven Concealment kydex holster, or something from Atomic Dog? Would I be able to get away with that, or would the gun feel too top heavy while in the holster? My prefered carry method is OWB in Kydex or leather. I like a thumb break on leather only because it seems to keep the gun in closer, it can't "lean" out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast