Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Thumbs up Finally carried for the first time...

Last weekend I bought my first hand gun, a Smith and Wesson SD40 and have been working all week up to carrying it. I can not carry where I work so I have not been carrying throughout the week but I would put it on when I got home and where it around the house to get used to it. Throughout my time as a member here I have also been reading the forums, the relevant laws etc etc in an effort to be as educated as possible about carrying both CC and OC. With all this in mind I decided that this weekend would be the weekend that I would carry the SD40. (Before I go forward, I am familiar with guns, I have grown up around them, fired many different types, and know how to be safe with them etc. Just wanted to let everyone know that I was responsible in carrying. I haven't had "formal" training but I will be attending some classes soon.)

I have debated whether or not to OC or CC and decided that since I have no issue with either, I would use the OWB holster I purchased with the gun and would just put a shirt on like normal. This resulted in a CC/OC combo. I was not trying to conceal it, but I was not trying to keep it out in the open either; I was simply carrying it. Now I will say, like many of you have experienced, I was acutely aware of the fact that I was carrying and everything going on around me....Situational Awareness was definitely in the forefront of my mind, no doubt because of what I have learned from these forums. I have also learned that I need to purchase some different holsters because after carrying for 8 hours, it is not the most comfortable experience

So what was my experience? It was just how I wanted it to be...uneventful. . I went to the grocery store, gas station, chinese takeout, Dick's Sporting Goods, and visited a bunch of family members and it did not seem as if any one gave it a second thought. I had no trouble anywhere I went, and when I exited each of these stores the SWAT team was not outside . All in all I would say that it was a very successful first time carrying and it was a great experience in taking a step towards becoming more comfortable with it. I have always been a strong advocate/supporter of the 2nd Amendment and I am happy that I am now able to exercise that right!

I hope to be able to join up with some of you guys at the meetups/lunches/dinners and become more active and knowledgeable, (and hopefully a better shot )

-Anthony

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Finally carried for the first time...

glad you took the plunge.. its a great feeling knowing that you are protected, but with some training your experience will be doubled. !! contact someone in your area or find Mercop and see if he is having a training session in your area.
    this is his web sight.... http://www.moderncombativesystems.com/
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    I had no trouble anywhere I went, and when I exited each of these stores the SWAT team was not outside .
    -Anthony
    They are waiting for you to go to sleep then they will kick in the door

jk, Glad it was uneventfull, just wait in time you will feel naked without it.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to the world of responsible carry. +rep.

After your training, don't forget to practice!

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    glad you took the plunge.. its a great feeling knowing that you are protected, but with some training your experience will be doubled. !! contact someone in your area or find Mercop and see if he is having a training session in your area.
    this is his web sight.... http://www.moderncombativesystems.com/
    Thanks for the info...I was trying to find some good training. Some suggested Front Sight, but this just happens to be on the other side of the country I appreciate your resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    They are waiting for you to go to sleep then they will kick in the door
    No wonder my one eye was very dry...must have been sleeping with one eye open lol

Quote Originally Posted by P7hk9 View Post
    Welcome to the world of responsible carry. +rep.

After your training, don't forget to practice!
    Thanks! I will definitely practice....practice seems to be the fun part lol
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Good for you taking the big step ! Just remember your situational awareness!