Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Help on AR-15 purchase

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    they have came so far that the army already bought 12,000 piston conversions and are buying another 65,000 for it's m4's this year. I guess the army drank the Kool-aid too. Not all piston guns are trash, most of the better ones are far from it. Both piston and DI guns work just fine when maintained right, get what you can afford without sacrificing quality. Don't let nay-sayers scare you either way. Just be happy with your purchase and shoot the dog piss out of it.
    Do you have a source for that?

why has no one mentioned a good DI Bravo Company M4/AR-15? They are all I buy anymore when it comes to awesome quality for an awesome price(aka predominately mil-spec gun under a grand). (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/)
    Forgetting BCM? Hell, they haven't even mentioned LWRCI.
    I would recommend a simple DI rifle for a 1st time AR buyer. You can't go wrong if you find a deal on a Colt or LMT. BCM can be had new for 900-1k and are one of the best bang for the buck rifles out there. Then get a cleaning kit & lube, a sling, some magazines & ammo then look into some range time and training.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicodendron11 View Post
    For the "where to buy", take the ride to Tanner's in Jamison you won't be disappointed. Good selection, customer service and price's. They will gladly answer all your question.
    plus 1 on Tanner's it's worth the drive prices will more than make up for it also Surplus City in Feasterville.

Noble and regal, focused watchful Piercing eyes, he is my shepherd and my best friend.

(Allegheny County)

BCM or DD....
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post

Forgetting BCM? Hell, they haven't even mentioned LWRCI.
    I would recommend a simple DI rifle for a 1st time AR buyer. You can't go wrong if you find a deal on a Colt or LMT. BCM can be had new for 900-1k and are one of the best bang for the buck rifles out there. Then get a cleaning kit & lube, a sling, some magazines & ammo then look into some range time and training.
    Keeping it simple stupid gents simple stupid. BCM you have to know about AR to buy IMHO since they are like computers made to order very easy to get all confused. That's why I gave a link to AR-15 chart that also has plenty of manufacturers and what they do. SW I have personal experience with, out stock made rifles and IMHO it's a good starter rifle to tinker with as he grows into it. Of course the choices are limitless in AR market today har to narrow it down.

(Allegheny County)

they have came so far that the army already bought 12,000 piston conversions and are buying another 65,000 for it's m4's this year. I guess the army drank the Kool-aid too. Not all piston guns are trash, most of the better ones are far from it. Both piston and DI guns work just fine when maintained right, get what you can afford without sacrificing quality. Don't let nay-sayers scare you either way. Just be happy with your purchase and shoot the dog piss out of it.

why has no one mentioned a good DI Bravo Company M4/AR-15? They are all I buy anymore when it comes to awesome quality for an awesome price(aka predominately mil-spec gun under a grand). (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/)

Give these people a call, they have LMTs for $899. per the original poster per this thread.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=63779

Roger Allen
    Midwest Distributors
    8373 St. Louis Blvd.
    Union, KY 41091
    859-743-0647 ph.
    859-384-2803 fx.

some good info in here.
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

Quote:
    Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...dates-091110w/

My issued M4 has all of the above minus the piston system.

Keeping it simple stupid gents simple stupid. BCM you have to know about AR to buy IMHO since they are like computers made to order very easy to get all confused. That's why I gave a link to AR-15 chart that also has plenty of manufacturers and what they do. SW I have personal experience with, out stock made rifles and IMHO it's a good starter rifle to tinker with as he grows into it. Of course the choices are limitless in AR market today hard to narrow it down.
    an evening of googling and reading should clear up any confusion. The OP already has is doing the research by coming online and asking for opinions and experience, so i'd say he's off to a good start and who knows, maybe he knows more then we let onto. I'm surprised that the 'M4 Spreadsheet' isn't a sticky at the top of this forum with the 'what AK should I buy' thread buy now. This topic comes up weekly.

I do have a very good friend with a S&W who is an instructor for various LE agencies as well as counter drug in Florida, he has never had a problem with it. I also have an M&P lower on a BCM upper if that counts for anything
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Allegheny County)

I'm surprised that the 'M4 Spreadsheet' isn't a sticky at the top of this forum with the 'what AK should I buy' thread buy now. This topic comes up weekly.
    People wouldnt use it... It would be like any other place where people are shown the chart, some owner comes along and sees there his prize purchase is, contest the placement on the chart because all 20 rounds he shot through his Del-Ton have been good and then he will suggest a worse gun than the OP intended to buy in the first place.

A more valuable tool might be a big post saying that you can have the best AR money can buy (whiz bang bolt ons aside) for $950-$1000. Follow this with a link on ways to reduce that price and what you are losing from that cost reducing move. A lot of people dont need to spend $1000 on a Bravo Company or Daniel Defense build, for the 20 rounds each year they shoot the Stag might be good enough, but I think a different approach might fair better over here.

And I guess I should not use Stag as an example as Spikes is far better for the same price or less...
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

<snip>

I'm surprised that the 'M4 Spreadsheet' isn't a sticky at the top of this forum with the 'what AK should I buy' thread buy now. This topic comes up weekly.

<snip>
    Agree. But note that not all AR seekers always want an M4rgery. It should be "Which M4 knock-off should I buy?"
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm kinda limited as to what I can spend ( what the wife will let me spend LOL). I'm gonna check out a few places this week and speak to some people in the shops. I have Delia's around the corner from me, and Surplus City is another one in the general vicinity of my parents house. Classic Pistol IMHO is good, but a little pricey. I actually bought my first pistol from there back in 2000. Here is an AR I've had my eye on: http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...C1516SLORC.asp
    Also, a little more info on me. I've been shooting since I was 6 years old, so the shooting part I'm not a novice at. I own several hunting rifles, shotguns, and my new baby, a GLOCK 22. I'm just looking for a new toy to tinker with while I'm up the mountains hunting.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chvyrs90 View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. I'm kinda limited as to what I can spend ( what the wife will let me spend LOL). I'm gonna check out a few places this week and speak to some people in the shops. I have Delia's around the corner from me, and Surplus City is another one in the general vicinity of my parents house. Classic Pistol IMHO is good, but a little pricey. I actually bought my first pistol from there back in 2000. Here is an AR I've had my eye on: http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...C1516SLORC.asp
    Also, a little more info on me. I've been shooting since I was 6 years old, so the shooting part I'm not a novice at. I own several hunting rifles, shotguns, and my new baby, a GLOCK 22. I'm just looking for a new toy to tinker with while I'm up the mountains hunting.
    Is it $1000 total that you can spend, or is it less? Does it have to be purchased locally? A separate lower/upper might be easier.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast