Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Hate hunting with people who are "Good Shots?"

Have an opinion?

I have one and I hate them. Sure, maybe good shots should be respected for their remarkable target honing ability but wow can they suck the fun out of a hunt!

There's a group of four of us that live to hunt and we hunt ducks, pheasant, and rabbits. We all have a variety of dogs between us and have known each other for many years. You would think have hunted most of our lives, we would have become better shots by now but we haven't. Any improvement over the years is negligible at best. Any given shot is honestly 50/50 and that is alright. The best stories, the best companionship, the best laughter and ribbing come from those missed shots. That and the hunts last longer and the game doesn't all get killed off.

Last year by mistake, I introduced a work buddy of mine to our group. I knew the guy competed in clays but didn't hunt all that much, so he said. Lets just say if it moved it died. No one wanted to be around him because if they missed, he made the kill for sure. We'd be out hunting rabbits and if we heard his gun go off on the other side of the bush or woods, we knew the hunt was over. On the other side, if I heard any of the other guys empty their gun followed with a string of cussing, YES, the hunt was still on to great amusement and laughter from all. "OK, between the four of us we have waisted 14 shells on this rabbit. The rabbit must die!" I mean we've missed certain rabbits so many times and on multiple outings and given how they ran or where they were jumped we knew which rabbits they were and thus bestowed actual names upon some of them!

So trying to be the peace keeper between all of us, I mentioned to him that maybe he should not shoot as much and he cockily said "Why would I do that? This is hunting."

"Yeah, well your style of hunting doesn't mesh with our style. The guys don't want you around and I can't blame them. You're just too good for us. Hunting just isn't fun anymore. It is just that there is a lot more to hunting than just killing and eating for us."

(Bucks County)

Cool Re: Hate hunting with people who are "Good Shots?"

I know exactly what you mean. I had a hunting buddy like that! Someone i introduced to hunting and guns in general. Always had to throw it in my face about how they got a deer and I didn't, and always questioning what kind of a man never gets as much game as his buddy does. I finally had to tell her," Stay home, it just isn't right for a man's wife to belittle him in front of his other buddies like this"!!!
    Now , she stays home and goes shopping while i hunt. She still makes fun of me for not getting a deer, but she ain't doing it at hunting camp in front of all the guys!!!

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Hate hunting with people who are "Good Shots?"

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    I finally had to tell her...

LMFAO!!! Good one!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Hate hunting with people who are "Good Shots?"

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. I had a hunting buddy like that! Someone i introduced to hunting and guns in general. Always had to throw it in my face about how they got a deer and I didn't, and always questioning what kind of a man never gets as much game as his buddy does. I finally had to tell her," Stay home, it just isn't right for a man's wife to belittle him in front of his other buddies like this"!!!
    Now , she stays home and goes shopping while i hunt. She still makes fun of me for not getting a deer, but she ain't doing it at hunting camp in front of all the guys!!!
    Like the song says and I do quote "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life make a bad shot women your wife"

(Bucks County)

I actually hate hunting with poor shots. If I want to waste ammo I'll go to the range.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

(Monroe County)

I'd rather hunt with the Op's buddy than a Dick Cheny.

Guys I know take a point of honor to have fewest rounds expended.

Now when the Zombie hunt is opened on the 23rd, oh yea game on dump the mag and ask questions after L&L the 2nd one.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

As one of those you speak I have generally hunted alone or with others of a like mindset as my own. I only shoot if I am confident of a clean kill. I qualified expert in the US Army with the M-14, M-16 and Colt 1911. I generally hunt rabbits with an iron sighted .22LR handgun and yes I can hit them on the run. I grew up in a time past with an American Indian boy my own age. We hunted and tracked the woods from daylight to sundown growing up. It is just the way I feel about hunting that I owe it the animal that is about to give up its life for me that I give it as painless a death as possible. That is just me. I don’t criticize others hunting as long as it is done legally. Enjoy your hunting.

(Monroe County)

yah sorry, I won't hunt with you if i'm not confident in your abilities to make a good clean kill. I'm not chasing wounded game because you can't be bothered to practice.

Prior to archery season every one of my buddies that expects to hunt with me has to prove their equipment is in good shape and they can shoot with it at 20 - 30 yards (archery) and be acceptable accuracy, otherwise they don't go out with me. and these are my buddies who I've hunted with for years and been friends with for over a decade.

There is never an excuse to wound an animal due to poor planning or skills.

that being said the attitude would get him thrown out of our group in a hurry.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Northampton County)

Yeah, the only thing worse is the guy that always shows up to the hunt sober

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Yeah, the only thing worse is the guy that always shows up to the hunt sober
    Or the one who has the truck with lots of ground clearance so you don't have to walk a mile in when you can drive it instead... nothing worse then those people!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast