Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Constitutional Carry in 10-11!!!

Shall we get this movement started?? We could potentially see a PA House flip to GOP, and it looks like it's Corbett's race to lose at this point. Regardless, this would be a bipartisan pro-gun measure.

What would be a good strategy to start pushing for Constitutional Carry in Pennsylvania?

I already emailed my rep, Kathy Rapp (very pro-gun) and asked her if she'd be on board.

Default Re: Constitutional Carry in 10-11!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodero View Post
    Shall we get this movement started?? We could potentially see a PA House flip to GOP, and it looks like it's Corbett's race to lose at this point. Regardless, this would be a bipartisan pro-gun measure.

What would be a good strategy to start pushing for Constitutional Carry in Pennsylvania?

I already emailed my rep, Kathy Rapp (very pro-gun) and asked her if she'd be on board.
    Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between constitutional carry and what we have now ?
    You must pay attention to the man behind the curtain. Or you will loose.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad48 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between constitutional carry and what we have now ?
    Constitutional carry is where no permit or license would be required to open or conceal carry. Similar to how you don't need a license to practice free speech. Basically, if you are allowed to own a gun, you are free to practice your right to bear arms.

There are several states that have this currently. New Hampshire, Alaska, and Arizona if my memory serves me correctly.

Some people worry that such a law would negate the reciprocity our LTCF gives us. Fortunately there is a work around. As an example, Alaska does not require a permit to carry concealed or open, but does allow people to obtain a permit for reciprocity with other states.

In PA, we could have far more reciprocity agreements if they required training, fingerprinting, ect. I am currently against any stricter requirements to obtain a LTCF. However, if we were not required to have a license to CC, I would have no problem having stricter requirements to obtain a LTCF. Maybe we could finally get a reciprocity agreement with Delaware. I see absolutely no downside to this approach.

Constitutional carry would also eliminate a lot of the shenanigans that the Philly PD pulls.

I've thought about this myself, in the past couple months. The problems I have always come up with are how to keep the exceptions an LTCF provides. We would need a law that makes it legal to carry in times of emergency, we would need something that exempts us from the 1k ft within a school zone. We would need to do away with the City of the First Class bullshit.

These problems are easy to solve. We would just need some good wording. The biggest roadblock I can come up with (which is indeed a large roadblock), is that Dwight Evans would actually have a reason to hold it up in appropriations. That, and I highly doubt it would have enough bipartisan support due to it being a cut-and-dry gun rights law. Sorry, but I'm a pessimist.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I would love Constitutional Carry. Especially considering we should already have it (courtesy of our own 2A. "shall not be questioned" "Do you have a LTCF?" sounds like a question to me). And I do regret paying the $25 for the privilege of exercising my rights.
    Last edited by nightglider; October 9th, 2010 at 06:23 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nightglider View Post
    I've thought about this myself, in the past couple months. The problems I have always come up with are how to keep the exceptions an LTCF provides. We would need a law that makes it legal to carry in times of emergency, we would need something that exempts us from the 1k ft within a school zone. We would need to do away with the City of the First Class bullshit.
    Bold: That's easy to do...

18 Pa.C.S. § 6107 Repealed.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6108 Repealed

(Luzerne County)

We would need a law that makes it legal to carry in times of emergency, we would need something that exempts us from the 1k ft within a school zone. We would need to do away with the City of the First Class bullshit..
    Or remove those restrictions too.

And for the fed law, LTCF's could be optional/voluntary. Not needed to carry in Pa. but obtainable for the other exceptions/reciprocity/etc

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Constitutional carry is where no permit or license would be required to open or conceal carry. Similar to how you don't need a license to practice free speech. Basically, if you are allowed to own a gun, you are free to practice your right to bear arms.

There are several states that have this currently. New Hampshire, Alaska, and Arizona if my memory serves me correctly.

Some people worry that such a law would negate the reciprocity our LTCF gives us. Fortunately there is a work around. As an example, Alaska does not require a permit to carry concealed or open, but does allow people to obtain a permit for reciprocity with other states.

In PA, we could have far more reciprocity agreements if they required training, fingerprinting, ect. I am currently against any stricter requirements to obtain a LTCF. However, if we were not required to have a license to CC, I would have no problem having stricter requirements to obtain a LTCF. Maybe we could finally get a reciprocity agreement with Delaware. I see absolutely no downside to this approach.

Constitutional carry would also eliminate a lot of the shenanigans that the Philly PD pulls.
    so you want to, on one hand, get rid of the steps we have now to get a ltcf....but on the other hand you want to make getting a ltcf harder? I are confused

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    so you want to, on one hand, get rid of the steps we have now to get a ltcf....but on the other hand you want to make getting a ltcf harder? I are confused
    i think he means having Constitutional Carry, but keeping the LTCF and giving it more requirements to maintain, and possibly gain, reciprocity.

(Lehigh County)

Kratos makes perfect sense. If you are legal and want to carry you can do so without licensing. If you want to go for the gusto and reciprocate with as many states as possible, you can have the option to get licensed in the same manner that many of the strictest use.

To me this is a win/win situation.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -Andrew Wilkow

(Philadelphia County)

we would need something that exempts us from the 1k ft within a school zone.
    I think the LTCF is that something. Federal law states that the GFSZ does not apply if

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
    so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
    political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
    political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains
    such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or
    political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified
    under law to receive the license;
    I don't know how this works in states like Arizona and Vermont, where there is no license and hence no verification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast