Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Cumberland County)

Default My BG 380 Range Report

Well, after finally getting my Bodyguard 380 back from Smith and Wesson for the third time trying to get the laser switch fixed - my 380 was finally fixed, and I was able to get to the range.
    I want to love this pistol so bad, but was diappointed at the range. Main issues I have are :

1. Accuracy stinks for me. I realize main issue is probably operator - but
    when I can pick up any of my pistols and be happy with the results and
    this one I can't hit the broad side of a barn - it concerns me. I
    am posting on my RIA next, you can check out my shooting there where
    I'm posting a target - I'm pure ameteur, but I am happy with my results
    with that compact 45. I think the main issue with accuracy for me is
    due to point 2.

2. Horrible trigger pull. Very long, and jerky. Halfway through the long pull,
    it gives a little jerk, but that is just the halfway point - lol. I find myself
    pulling the trigger halfway back just to start my shooting process which I
    had to break myself of.

3. Recoil overall was not bad. Much better than my LCP.

4. Only 2 failure to ejects out of 30 rounds or so. Both were last round, and
    the spent case got caught up in the slide. Happened fairly early on so
    I think it worked itself out.

All in all, I may try her a few more times, but if I can't get anywhere close to happy with accuracy at even 15 feet, I don't have a lot of faith carrying it. I shot my friends Sig P238 and it was night and day. Very accurate, smooth, and even less recoil. May decide to look to trade up and get myself a Sig ??

Default Re: My BG 380 Range Report

That sucks about your experience with S&W. The Sig is an single action only, albiet with an 8 pound trigger pull thats pretty crisp. I'm just not comfortable pocketing a pistol that is cocked and locked. In a holster I'm fine with C&L, but not in my pocket. Thats what keeps me from buying a 238. I know people who have pocket holsters for them and have had no issues, but its just not for me.

Somebody needs to make a 9mm slim subcompact thats pocketable and has a crisp and clean 5 or 6 pound double action only trigger pull.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    Somebody needs to make a 9mm slim subcompact thats pocketable and has a crisp and clean 5 or 6 pound double action only trigger pull.
    Quoted for truth!

I have yet to see a BG 380 in person so I haven't formed an opinion yet. Thanks for the report.

(Cumberland County)

That sucks about your experience with S&W. The Sig is an single action only, albiet with an 8 pound trigger pull thats pretty crisp. I'm just not comfortable pocketing a pistol that is cocked and locked. In a holster I'm fine with C&L, but not in my pocket. Thats what keeps me from buying a 238. I know people who have pocket holsters for them and have had no issues, but its just not for me.

I agree - but I don't carry in pocket ever ( well, the lcp sometime because it is so small ) I carry the smaller pistols owb with shirt out, and larger ones with my new Kholsters iwb so that is why I figured if I'm going to carry a .380, the SIG might be a better choice for me rather than the Bodyguard. But, I'll give it another trip or two to the range so as not to rush to judgement. Thanks !

I carry my Sig 238 in my pocket, I use a Uncle Mike's #3 which is actually one size bigger than it's "suppose" to use, But I think it's a better fit and covers more of the gun as it's in my pocket which I like, while not hindering it being drawn out.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Lancaster County)

If a Kahr PM9 had wild monkey sex with a Ruger SR9c, the result would be exactly what you're looking for.

Rohrbaugh already does; it's called the R9. It runs about $1100, though.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    Rohrbaugh already does; it's called the R9. It runs about $1100, though.
    Love the looks of the rohrbaugh -, but needs to get under 700!