Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: .327 federal mag

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    I'm the dark cloud on this one. It'll go the way of the .32 H&R mag, the 9mm Federal, and the current path of the .45 GAP.
    Good thing is that you can use the .32 S&W in it, so if you buy the gun you can at least shoot it 10 years from now.
    My thoughts exactly. Plus if you poke around you can find some 32 H&R mag.

Also, don't forget about the .45 auto rim, 41 AE, 307 Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    ...don't forget about the .45 auto rim, 41 AE, 307 Win.
    I might agree with you on the last two calibers, but .45 AR is and always will be a viable caliber. The popularity of .45 ACP revolvers is greater than it has ever been, and for those that don't want to mess with moon clips, the .45 AR is a blessing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Low recoil, six shots, good ballistics in a package easily managed by all - what's not to recommend it.

JMHO / YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Ruger and Federal designed it. I do not see S&W helping the loading along if it does not have to. If there is a demand for it, of course S&W would expand its product line.

Ruger has not put the round out in its LCR, the direct competition to the J frame. I wouldn't blame S&W if the factory that helped design it does not offer it in its most likely product.

You are absolutely right about it's attributes and advantages. I however would not recommend it currently due to the following:

1- Cheap Practice ammo availability. The cheapest 327 federal I have found is about 23$ per 50 plus shipping. Over 40 cents a round. Even if you are using 32 s&w you are talking about 15$-16$ per box. I can get 1000 rounds of 38 special for 235$ (23.5 cents each)delivered from Georgia arms. If you are goingto carry it you better shoot it a lot.

2- Reloading. As far as I know no one is selling 327 brass. I can hand load 38/357 for about a dime each.

3- Availability. You can buy 38/357 at Walmart.

4- What if the loading joins a long line of also rans? 38/357 will be around long after you and I are worm food.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

All that's been said about the .327 is true. It may go the way of the Dodo bird. But I can say I have one and have shot it. It's not a bad round and yes, Ruger does need to bring it out in the LCR. It may never catch on as a full size gun, but as a CC it's great. Small, I can hide it with my hand. 6 shots, of full power. It will never match a .45, but it's all over nothing and better than a lot of the small CC guns. It's one I carry and will keep carring.

(Jefferson County)

I personally have no problems finding .32H&R. Sure, its not as available as 9mm, 45acp, .38spl, 44mag, etc - but I can pick up a 50rd box of Federal 95gr SWC's($22) or 20rd box Fed. Personal Defense JHP's($13) with little thought on where to go.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12