Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New One Piece Base Reccomendation

Am looking to get a new One Peice base for my Bolt .308

Not sure if I want a regular or a 20 moa one.

Yes, will do some longer distance shooting, 200+ yards (maybe longer)

Not sure if a 20 moa base will be of benefit
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: New One Piece Base Reccomendation

American Defense is the way to go. They are endorsed and used by John Noveske, that's enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    Am looking to get a new One Peice base for my Bolt .308

Not sure if I want a regular or a 20 moa one.

Yes, will do some longer distance shooting, 200+ yards (maybe longer)

Not sure if a 20 moa base will be of benefit
    Most of this depends on other information that you haven't provided, and may not even know. The first thing that you need to know is the purpose of a 20 MOA base. The only reason to get a 20 MOA base is because you need more elevation because your scope cannot dial that much elevation, or you are close to maxing out your elevation. Whether or not you have enough elevation is related to quite a few variables. One of those variables is the velocity of the reload, which can be related to the bullet weight, load, barrel length, etc. Another important thing to know is how much ACTUAL elevation does your scope have each direction AFTER it is zeroed. Other things like sight height will play a part because you will use elevation to make up the different between your bore and the scope. The sight height is related to the receiver, barrel contour, and ring height, etc.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but shooting 200+ yards isn't really "long range shooting", or "longer ranges". It might be further than most people shoot, but isn't even close to a distance that you would need a 20 MOA base. Most scopes that should have enough distance to dial out to distances past 200 yards; most will not have a problem even going to 500 yards or further. As I said, this will depend on a lot of different variables, but if you're not planning on truly shootin 500 yards or further, there's absolutely NO reason to have a 20 MOA base.

There's something else that you should know, putting a 20 MOA base on a rifle when you don't need it can cause some complications/problems. What can happen is that if your scope doesn't have enough elevation in the bottom end. You may try to zero your scope at 100 yards, but your scope may not have enough elevation travel to dial DOWN to the 100 yard zero. This would also depend on what scope you're using, sight height, and how much travel your setup actually has each direction. Just because a scope says it has so many moa of travel, doesn't mean that you will have that much on your setup. It just means the scope can travel that much off of it's optical center. Most setups aren't zeroed on the scope's optical center, and you have to dial a bit off of the optical center to make it work with your rifle, bases, etc. So you may have more or less elevation travel in a particular direction. The 20 MOA bases basically angle the scope so that your zero is at the lower half of your scope's elevation travel, so that you can dial the elevation when you need it further out. Sometimes though, the 20 MOA base puts the zero outside of how much a scope can down.

If you provide more information like bullet weight, velocity (very close to actual), sight height, and how much travel your scope actually has right now that it's zero'ed. Then the question can be answered more specifically. On the surface though, for the shorter ranges that you're talking about shooting, I don't see any reason for you to put a 20 MOA base on your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointman73 View Post
    American Defense is the way to go. They are endorsed and used by John Noveske, that's enough for me.
    I don't understand why you'd make this recommendation. It would seem that you don't know the purpose of a 20 MOA base, otherwise you wouldn't just start recommending brands when the OP probably doesn't even need a 20 MOA base. Why would you recommend a part that basically costs $100, just for the heck of it? Was it because it seems "tacticool" to have a 20 MOA base? Honestly, it's better NOT to make recommendations when you don't really know what you're talking about. I'm not trying to troll your post, but the purpose of the forum is to help people and educate them or make helpful recommendations. What you are recommending could actually cause the poster to believe there is a problem with this scope, or even break it trying to dial it lower than the erector assembly will allow. If he put a 20 MOA base on his rifle, he may not even be able to obtain a 100 yard zero. So please, don't talk out of your butt just because you've heard something is cool or good. The OP most likely has no use for a 20 MOA base, and for the record, there are quite a few VERY HIGH quality makers of 20 moa bases.

(Armstrong County)

I agree with Tomcat. I have a simple Remington 700 ADL synthetic in 7mm Remington Mag. On it sits a Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x40 Boone and Crockett scope. The mounts I use are the Game Reaper(http://scopesbinoculars.com/dednutz_scope_mounts) one piece rings and base. They offer these for a lot of different makes of rifles left and right handed, short or long action, etc. They sell for about fifty bucks from MidwayUSA. They are not 20moa . I hit at 500 yards consistantly with this combination just by using the reticle in the scope. Just my two cents, but there are other choices too.
    I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

(Philadelphia County)

Such friendly folks here. No, I do not talk out my ass or recommend something merely because of some "tacticool" BS that you are used to. I recommended an alternative. Watch your posts before you accuse friend.

This crowd waits to jump on someone, making a decision before realizing what is going on. No worries. It's like working with 0-4s and above in the military all over again.

My closest friends that utilize scoped rifles use that product when they were educated by Noveske Rifleworks. You don't have to buy it, so stop complaining.
    Last edited by Pointman73; October 9th, 2010 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointman73 View Post
    Such friendly folks here. No, I do not talk out my ass or recommend something merely because of some "tacticool" BS that you are used to. I recommended an alternative. Watch your posts before you accuse friend.

This crowd waits to jump on someone, making a decision before realizing what is going on. No worries. It's like working with 0-4s and above in the military all over again.

My closest friends that utilize scoped rifles use that product when they were educated by Noveske Rifleworks. You don't have to buy it, so stop complaining.
    There are some friendly folks here, and some not. Some people here would consider me very friendly, while others, not so much. If you didn't recommend something merely because it is tacticool, that's fine. You still haven't mentioned why you would make the recommendation in the first place, or what purpose it would serve. Lots of people don't even want a quick disconnect system, or the expense that comes with them.

This crowd doesn't all just wait to jump on someone. If you'd like, you can look at my past posts and see that for the most part, my posts are to help people, and the stickies I've penned also testify to that. I realize exactly what's going on, and I didn't make any accusations. I also don't have to watch my posts before I accuse, I have a long standing track record on this forum of knowing what I'm talking about.

If you've served in the military, thank you for your service, it's much appreciated and respected. It still doesn't mean that you know anything about building rifle, or what all goes into that. It means you're an operator and know how to use them, there's a difference there. IF you are the pointman, then your job is with the team, you're not the precision armorer. I don't know what branch you're in, so no use going into the designations, MOS, etc. That's perfectly fine if your friends like the system and were educated by Noveske Rifleworks. There's plenty of others here (myself included) who also correspond with some of the top precision smiths in the US (maybe you recognize GAP or Tac Ops), who know for a fact that they use other products. It's not so much that you recommended a different product, it's the fact that you mentioned a product that will NOT benefit the poster, and that may be detrimental to his setup. If you would have recommended some quick disconnect system, or even base that was FLAT, and not canted; I wouldn't have had any comment at all. Notice I didn't say a brand because honestly, I don't care what brand he uses. I just wouldn't recommend a canted base.

It's funny that you compare me to a Major. I don't know what it's like to deal with them, but I've heard plenty of stories from friends, some who are E8's and E9's. Since those fellas are from your side of the coin, maybe you can at least respect that. Nope, I don't have to buy it, but just trying to look out for a friend on the forum. Either way, the 20 MOA base comment is talking out of your ass, military operator or not. No point in going through all this again, and I have no further comments to make in this thread. Good day to you sir.

(Somerset County)

I can't recommend a one piece because I like 2 piece bases. The reason I prefer 2 piece bases is because I had a Leupold Std. mount one time. The rear screw that fastened the ring to the base would not stay tight. Also, the one piece base cut down on the room available for loading shells. Not a big deal most of the time but it does factor in when hunting in the cold with gloves and/or cold fingers.

My last 2 setups have been Weaver style bases and Burris Signature Zee Rings.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I don't see any reason for you to put a 20 MOA base on your rifle.
    Thanks for the info, exactly what I was needing, ordered at ETW on Midway

+1 for ya
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%