Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question about Northampton County Courthouse

There is a debate between Bob Freeman and Ron Shegda in the council room of the Northampton County Courthouse on Thursday October 13th at 7pm. I was informed that despite not being normal business hours everyone will still have to go through security. Does anyone foresee any problems checking a firearm?
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Question about Northampton County Courthouse

The statute outlining the required storage provisions say nothing about being required during business hours only. It's my opinion that the prohibition applies at all times, as does the requirement to accommodate those who are legally armed.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    The statute outlining the required storage provisions say nothing about being required during business hours only. It's my opinion that the prohibition applies at all times, as does the requirement to accommodate those who are legally armed.
    I agree but I don't have much faith in courthouses upholding the law these days...

Assuming nothing major comes up I plan to attend and see what happens. I searched other threads and see they require a driver's license as well to check a firearm. I plan to conveniently leave that in my car.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I agree but I don't have much faith in courthouses upholding the law these days...

Assuming nothing major comes up I plan to attend and see what happens. I searched other threads and see they require a driver's license as well to check a firearm. I plan to conveniently leave that in my car.
    913 is a short section. Print it out and take it with you. You may want to OC into the courthouse and conveniently leave your LTCF behind as well. Ask them to indicate in the statute where either is required to check a firearm.

I've been inside a court facility on two occasions that were not during business hours. Once, the checkpoint was staffed by a deputy, and I checked my firearm just as I have on numerous other occasions. The other, no one was staffing the checkpoint, and the metal detector was turned off. I won't say specifically what I did, but I will say that I could have easily "self-served" and made use of the available storage without any intervention/interaction from anyone else if I chose to do so.

*ETA - sounds like a prime opportunity to record your experience as well, if you are equipped to do so. Could prove useful if you need to "follow up" with anyone after the fact.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    There is a debate between Bob Freeman and Ron Shegda in the council room of the Northampton County Courthouse on Thursday October 13th at 7pm. I was informed that despite not being normal business hours everyone will still have to go through security. Does anyone foresee any problems checking a firearm?
    Wednesday is the 13th and Thursday is the 14th. Which one is it, I might go?
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff