Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default transporting a firearm in pa

I am a newbie to this forum and need some clarification from someone. I currently have a hand gun registered but have no LTC as of yet. How do I transport the firearm from my everyday home to my vacation home in a pickup truck? Both homes are in the state of PA. Also do I need to disclose to an officer if pulled over that I have the firearm? Thanks in advance.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: transporting a firearm in pa

Quote Originally Posted by murph1068 View Post
    I am a newbie to this forum and need some clarification from someone. I currently have a hand gun registered but have no LTC as of yet. How do I transport the firearm from my everyday home to my vacation home in a pickup truck? Both homes are in the state of PA. Also do I need to disclose to an officer if pulled over that I have the weapon? Thanks in advance.
    PA doesn't have a gun registration.

As to transporting between your home and vacation/recreational dwelling - the gun has to be completely unloaded, with any loaded magazines in a separate container, and the gun securely wrapped. Loose or boxed cartridges can be in the same container as the gun. It doesn't have to be in the trunk or other distant location in the vehicle. ...that part only applies for interstate transporting.

You do not need to notify an officer if pulled over.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

in this case, is he permitted to make any stops along the way?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    PA doesn't have a gun registration.

As to transporting between your home and vacation/recreational dwelling - the gun has to be completely unloaded, with any loaded magazines in a separate container, and the gun securely wrapped. Loose or boxed cartridges can be in the same container as the gun. It doesn't have to be in the trunk or other distant location in the vehicle. ...that part only applies for interstate transporting.

You do not need to notify an officer if pulled over.
    Does the statute say that? I didn't think it did. ?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Does the statute say that? I didn't think it did. ?
    Yes. However I left out the part about the magazine being suitable for said firearm.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...2/definitions/

18 Pa.C.S. § 6102: Definitions

"Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Bucks County)

Gotchya. I was looking in 6106. Thanks for that. Now that i see it i remember reading it before.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    in this case, is he permitted to make any stops along the way?

Under PA's laws there are no exemptions for intrastate stops. However I doubt one would have a problem if one stopped for necessities of travel like gas, emergencies, etc, so long as that person stayed the course of travel immediately after necessary stops. ...no stopping to see the sites, or to do leisure activities.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 8th, 2010 at 06:08 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Well I just applied for the LTC but had to get paperwork and backround check at the local PD first, then to the county sheriff once local PD is done. As I read here I still get confused with transport of my firearm without the LTC. I have a vacation home in pocono mountains in pa, and live two hours away in pa at my regular home. I carry the firearm in the cab of my truck in a lock box unloaded and the magazines in my luggage bag in the back of the truck. Is this method correct transport until my LTC is in my possesion? I do travel on interstates. Thanks

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by murph1068 View Post
    Well I just applied for the LTC but had to get paperwork and backround check at the local PD first, then to the county sheriff once local PD is done. As I read here I still get confused with transport of my firearm without the LTC. I have a vacation home in pocono mountains in pa, and live two hours away in pa at my regular home. I carry the firearm in the cab of my truck in a lock box unloaded and the magazines in my luggage bag in the back of the truck. Is this method correct transport until my LTC is in my possesion? I do travel on interstates. Thanks
    18 Pa CSA 6106(b)(8) requires the firearm to be "not loaded and is in a secure wrapper". What you describe would seem to comply with those requirements presuming your entire trip is within Pa.
    Last edited by tl_3237; November 14th, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
    IANAL

(Lehigh County)

The stops you may make with it in the car would ultimately, if it went far enough, come down to a judge's decision. It says in the code that if one is transporting the firearm to one's dwelling or fixed place of business OR if you're coming to or from the target range, or having something fixed, or purchasing/selling, that you need to provide sufficient evidence that you were doing so. Probably a receipt from a range would be good enough. However, what if you were going TO the range? I guess it all comes down to what is known and what isn't. Best advice is to wait to transport as long as you can until your LTCF arrives in the mail, that covers you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast